• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

MAY PILOT/NFO BOARD LESSONS LEARNED

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Lessons Learned: Aviation Professional Recommendation Board 18 MAY 2016

BOARD NUGGETS

1) Scores from the ASTB were used to determine which applicants were most likely going to succeed in the aviation training pipeline.

2) Having your private pilot’s license does not make you and automatic selection. While it does help, if your ASTB scores are at the minimums your chances of success in the aviation training pipeline are low.

3) When applying for the OCS program please remember that your primary job as an officer is to lead people. Speaking to a single designator lends to what the Navy can do for you. Sharing your desire to be a solid leader with some highlights of how you will do that in a specific designator would better provide what you can do for the Navy.

4) Leadership experience within organizations (sports teams, societies, scouting, employment, volunteer services, etc) is desired.

5) Do not leave adverse information up to the board members to decipher. If you have any negative history take ownership and prove to the board what you have learned as well as how you have grown from the experience.

6) For any prior military service, make sure the time served is clear as well as the reason for discharge.

BOARD STATS:

Student Naval Aviator (1390)
Population AVG GPA AVG AQR AVG PFAR AVG OAR
Total Applications 146 3.24 6 7 54.61
Professionally Recommended 86 3.26 6.7 7.2 57.53
Not Recommended 60 3.2 5.1 5.7 50.47
Percent Selected 59%

Student Naval Flight Officer (1370)
Population AVG GPA AVG AQR AVG FOFAR AVG OAR
Total Applications 140 3.18 6 6 54.64
Professionally Recommended 75 3.17 6.85 6.91 58.75
Not Recommended 65 3.19 5.02 5.4 49.89
Percent Selected 54%

lusos

A man's gotta eat

BOARD NUGGETS

1) Scores from the ASTB were used to determine which applicants were most likely going to succeed in the aviation training pipeline.

2) Having your private pilot’s license does not make you and automatic selection. While it does help, if your ASTB scores are at the minimums your chances of success in the aviation training pipeline are low.

3) When applying for the OCS program please remember that your primary job as an officer is to lead people. Speaking to a single designator lends to what the Navy can do for you. Sharing your desire to be a solid leader with some highlights of how you will do that in a specific designator would better provide what you can do for the Navy.

4) Leadership experience within organizations (sports teams, societies, scouting, employment, volunteer services, etc) is desired.

5) Do not leave adverse information up to the board members to decipher. If you have any negative history take ownership and prove to the board what you have learned as well as how you have grown from the experience.

6) For any prior military service, make sure the time served is clear as well as the reason for discharge.

BOARD STATS:

Percent Selected 59%

Percent Selected 54%

Thanks for the information. This helps alot in understanding my potential placement in selection.

Do you know if GPA was the solid factor or does the type of degree make a difference? For example: a 3.5 in Nuclear Engineering vs a 3.5 in Political Science.

norcou

For example: a 3.5 in Nuclear Engineering vs a 3.5 in Political Science.

Those both sound challenging to me...

But it seems like they only care about those small differences if you're on the edge. A good GPA which 3.5 sounds pretty good and a solid ASTB score and just about anything can be forgiven..
But I'll let someone more experienced with how the board thinks answer your question.

BOARD NUGGETS

BOARD STATS:

Percent Selected 59%

Percent Selected 54%

I will be turning 27 in March and only just took the ASTB in late May, although the usual advice is study up to improve the ASTB score that will not be an option for this board given the 90-day wait period. Unfortunately, I believe my age makes it likely this will be my first and final submission to the board . Is there anything an applicant can do beyond a well written personal statement and quality LOR's at this late hour to improve their chances at selection? My OSO says no, any difference of opinion?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I will be turning 27 in March and only just took the ASTB in late May, although the usual advice is study up to improve the ASTB score that will not be an option for this board given the 90-day wait period. Unfortunately, I believe my age makes it likely this will be my first and final submission to the board . Is there anything an applicant can do beyond a well written personal statement and quality LOR's at this late hour to improve their chances at selection? My OSO says no, any difference of opinion?

Your OR is right, ASTB is the biggest weight.

koliver

Any update on states from more recent boards? I'm going to be submitting for the 10APR17 SNA board.