• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps Reserve to Active Duty?

SDHopeful

I am looking to join the Marine Corps with a ground contract as an officer. My OSO suggested I put in a package for the reserve board this summer, in order to "get my foot in the door." I know competition is tough for OCS right now, however I would like to make the Marine Corps a full time career. My OSO did say with the operational tempo of the Marine Corps, there would be a significant chance I would be deployed (go active) soon after reporting to my reserve unit.

I know each case is different (needs of Marine Corps, timing etc.), but can reserve officers transition over to AD if they want to make a more full time commitment to the Marine Corps?

I would greatly appreciate any information on this aspect of the reserves. My choice comes down to applying for the Marine Corps reserve this summer, or active duty in January.

Thanks,

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am looking to join the Marine Corps with a ground contract as an officer. My OSO suggested I put in a package for the reserve board this summer, in order to "get my foot in the door." I know competition is tough for OCS right now, however I would like to make the Marine Corps a full time career. My OSO did say with the operational tempo of the Marine Corps, there would be a significant chance I would be deployed (go active) soon after reporting to my reserve unit.

I know each case is different (needs of Marine Corps, timing etc.), but can reserve officers transition over to AD if they want to make a more full time commitment to the Marine Corps?

I would greatly appreciate any information on this aspect of the reserves. My choice comes down to applying for the Marine Corps reserve this summer, or active duty in January.

Thanks,

Did he say join the reserves or become an officer in the reserves? BTW - what rank is your OSO?

Here's the Marine Corps Reserves paths "to get your foot in the door":

Knowing Your Options

There are several ways to find out what opportunities are available in the reserves.

Civilians can enlist in the Marine Corps, go to boot camp, receive all necessary additional training, and move over to the reserves in less than a year. Anyone interested can contact a Marine recruiter.

Civilians also can seek an officer’s commission in the Marine Corps Reserve, though about two years on active duty are necessary before making the switch to reserve duty. An Officer Selection Officer can provide details.

This is word for word from the Marine Corps Reserve Website so is that what you're hearing from your OSO? Regardless, once you fully understand what the commitment is and path to become a Reservist and, importantly, whether you'd be an officer or enlisted, here are the current opportunities to get activated from a reserve status.

jtmedli

pilot
This is word for word from the Marine Corps Reserve Website so is that what you're hearing from your OSO? Regardless, once you fully understand what the commitment is and path to become a Reservist and, importantly, whether you'd be an officer or enlisted, here are the current opportunities to get activated from a reserve status.

Looks like you would have to be an O-3 or better to get Activated. Not seeing too many opportunities for O-1s or O-2s on that list.

FWIW there's a thread at MarineOCS.com about this and basically the answer over there is an emphatic "no". If you go Reserves then plan on being a Reserve Officer. Judging from what the O's over there had to say, there are opportunities to go AD from the Reserves but they're few and far between and usually require special circumstances.

SDHopeful

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your responses. My OSO (an 03) is suggesting I go as a reserve officer, not enlisted. Is my understanding correct that I will have two years of active duty status before I become a reserve officer?

"though about two years on active duty are necessary before making the switch to reserve duty." (Is this not counting the time spent being at OCS and TBS.)

Is it possible/probable to earn the rank of O3 in that time table in order to take advantage of said list of AD billets?

Again I appreciate your input,

jtmedli

pilot
"though about two years on active duty are necessary before making the switch to reserve duty." (Is this not counting the time spent being at OCS and TBS.)

Is it possible/probable to earn the rank of O3 in that time table in order to take advantage of said list of AD billets?

Possible: Yes, Probable: NO.

BoaViking

Red patch, death patch
Coming from the enlisted side.. the only way to switch reserve to active is MARSOC. DO NOT GO RESERVE if you ever plan on going active.

Autorotate

FAC, former Phrog pilot
Yep, in my Reserve unit we have a couple Officers who tried to game the game by going Reserve early rather than wait for Active and are stuck.
Wait for Active if you want to go full time.

phrogpilot73

If commissioning via the Reserves is really the ONLY way to get in the Marine Corps, then your future lies in the Reserves. That's not to say you can't have a rewarding career. If you want to be AD - there's always AR (Active Reserves), which is an undermanned program. It's like AD, only you bounce from Reserve unit to Reserve unit. If you want to fly? Patience is a virtue.

SpankenStein

When you're here, your Family.
pilot
I know from what I see at my unit, that going reserve to fully active it really hard. Long waits (months) for paper work to go through, and when it does you'll probably be denied. There have been more openings for Active Reserve (AR), but that is varied on the MOS or Billet. My advice is wait till more active spots open up. I do know that OSOs are looking for college freshman and sophomores to become Air Contracts, why not take the flight test?