• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Marine Corps OSO Appointment TIPS??

Bullitt01

Hey,
I couldnt find any threads on this subject but im sure they're out there. I have an appointment with the local OSO next week & Im just curious what to expect. I mean, Ill treat every second of it as an interview for Officer Candidacy but as far as how things will go.. Will I take my PFT right then that day? Will I be able to tell him that I want an AIR contract & if so, what happens next? Once I pass my PFT where do I go from there? Also, does the 10 week OCS class always start in January & end in March or are there other classes?? Could I still make it to one this year? Thanks & I appreciate any information possible.:icon_wink

jtmedli

pilot
Hey,
I couldnt find any threads on this subject but im sure they're out there. I have an appointment with the local OSO next week & Im just curious what to expect. I mean, Ill treat every second of it as an interview for Officer Candidacy but as far as how things will go.. Will I take my PFT right then that day? Will I be able to tell him that I want an AIR contract & if so, what happens next? Once I pass my PFT where do I go from there? Also, does the 10 week OCS class always start in January & end in March or are there other classes?? Could I still make it to one this year? Thanks & I appreciate any information possible.:icon_wink

Do a search. Everything you have asked is answered elsewhere. Look in the Marines section.

-No PFT until you are ready to contract.
-You can tell him you want an air contract, but if you are an OCC candidate you aren't getting one. There are no OCC-Air slots until FY12. Go to MarineOCS.com and read the threads pertaining to OCC204 and OCC-air there.
-The only chance you have at getting into an OCS class this year is OCC-205-Ground (the October Class) which is going to be extremely competitive. You will need a 285 or higher PFT score to apply.
-If you are PLC-air then you will probably not be able to get into OCS until next summer. It's a little late to apply unless you can already run 270 or better on your PFT.

candidate2010

If you are PLC-air then you will probably not be able to get into OCS until next summer.

This is true according to my OSO. He said he had to submit my package last Friday (April 2) to be reviewed by the board that is meeting the third week of this month (April). I am applying for PLC-Air, 204 second increment.

Bullitt01

This is true according to my OSO. He said he had to submit my package last Friday (April 2) to be reviewed by the board that is meeting the third week of this month (April). I am applying for PLC-Air, 204 second increment.

Why are there no slots for OCC candidates but there are for PLC's?? Will I still be able to get my packet to that board for a PLC spot in next year's class?? I can already do 20 dead hang pullups & 100 crunches in 2 minutes no prob, but my 3 mile is about 20:30.. 270 material? What does the "packet" consist of?

jtmedli

pilot
Why are there no slots for OCC candidates but there are for PLC's?? Will I still be able to get my packet to that board for a PLC spot in next year's class?? I can already do 20 dead hang pullups & 100 crunches in 2 minutes no prob, but my 3 mile is about 20:30.. 270 material? What does the "packet" consist of?

There's an entire thread here on why there are no OCC-air slots. Packet will be LOR's, PFT, SF86 form, Application Form (about 6-8 pages of stuff), etc... It will take a while to put together.

candidate2010

That's actualy not a bad PFT. you have plenty of time before a board will meet for next years PLC (205) though.

There's an entire thread here on why there are no OCC-air slots. Packet will be LOR's, PFT, SF86 form, Application Form (about 6-8 pages of stuff), etc... It will take a while to put together.

Haha, add to that: official transcript, cycloplegic eye exam, anthroplegic measurements, background check, etc..etc...

Bullitt01

Okay so pretty much stop stressing & just begin the process is about all I can do, correct? Also, will it matter if next years PLC will be the summer after my junior year, which means my PLC part 2 wont be until after my senior year is already over or should i just try to milk my schooling out longer to qualify for PLC?

Bullitt01

Well i just read up a bit & learned that PLC for Juniors is just the 10 week course instead of being broken up correct? Does that fall under not being able to get an AIR contract until 2012 or no?

djj34

pilot
You should be able to get an air contract in either PLC Combined or PLC Jr/Sr. It will be much more competitive for Combined, however.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Okay so pretty much stop stressing & just begin the process is about all I can do, correct?...

Pretty much. Theres a ton of stuff you have to do as mentioned above so start chipping away at it. You have a pretty solid pft so keep at it and dont let it slip. Good luck.

Bullitt01

You should be able to get an air contract in either PLC Combined or PLC Jr/Sr. It will be much more competitive for Combined, however.
I didnt know you had to "compete" for air contracts? What factors determine who gets each contract? & who has the final word? A board or the OSO, or both?

hmbeagle

I didnt know you had to "compete" for air contracts? What factors determine who gets each contract? & who has the final word? A board or the OSO, or both?

Stiff competition all the way through, my friend. Factors include anything and everything in your application, though your OSO won't have any say in whether or not you ultimately get selected.

http://officer.marines.com/marine/making_marine_officers/officer_selection_officer

Basically, the OSO is like a recruiter, though at this point and for this role you shouldn't need to be "recruited" or "sold" on anything.

Btw, love the Mustang references and all but check the spelling of McQueen in your profile...

Bullitt01

Stiff competition all the way through, my friend. Factors include anything and everything in your application, though your OSO won't have any say in whether or not you ultimately get selected.

http://officer.marines.com/marine/making_marine_officers/officer_selection_officer

Basically, the OSO is like a recruiter, though at this point and for this role you shouldn't need to be "recruited" or "sold" on anything.

Btw, love the Mustang references and all but check the spelling of McQueen in your profile...

Damnit, I'm honestly ashamed for the error in McQueen's name & don't know if ill ever forgive myself.. I routinely claim to be him when ordering anything online ;). Now that that's settled, exactly how competetive is an air contract would you say? Will a great PFT & test scores assure that I make the grade or am I at the mercy of some alien board who will never see my face?:(