• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

March 2017 IWC OCS Board Thread

App2123

Checking in. Took the OAR test on 11/23. Submitted on 12/22 all app requirements (SF-86, transcripts, medical records, LORS, APSR). Waiting for my OR to send me a date for physical...

rousja01

Quick question Rufio, et al. Do OCS application documents for AD personnel, (excluding medical forms), "expire" at a certain point in time? For instance, I applied for the Dec 2016 board, so all of my interview appraisals, Commanding Officer endorsement, CFL, SSO etc. pages were signed and dated in October/November. I plan to continue applying as each board rolls around, so at what point do I need to ask those individuals to resign and date the documents? How long are the current signatures good for? Thanks!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Quick question Rufio, et al. Do OCS application documents for AD personnel, (excluding medical forms), "expire" at a certain point in time? For instance, I applied for the Dec 2016 board, so all of my interview appraisals, Commanding Officer endorsement, CFL, SSO etc. pages were signed and dated in October/November. I plan to continue applying as each board rolls around, so at what point do I need to ask those individuals to resign and date the documents? How long are the current signatures good for? Thanks!

Paperwork generally lasts a year from when it was signed/dated. Physical lasts 2 years assuming you got an N3M letter.

rousja01

Okay, gotcha. If I have the N3M letter from the previous board, should I include that in my application for the March board? Does it supplement or replace the other medical forms required in the package (DD2807/8)?

GlassBanger

IntelO
Contributor
Hoping to make this board. Still waiting on my appointment to get a letter to appeal to N3M. Wish me luck!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Okay, gotcha. If I have the N3M letter from the previous board, should I include that in my application for the March board? Does it supplement or replace the other medical forms required in the package (DD2807/8)?

N3M letter lasts for two years from when your physical was done. You're good.

RovingGent

I posted this in another thread as well, but just so more people see it:

I'm new to the OCS process. I'm taking the OAR tomorrow, but as far as I can tell, I got a 62 on the practice test. I have a BA in poli sci (2013) from a state school with a 3.1, some Arabic proficiency, but I'm not fluent, and I studied in Jordan. I've also written quite a few news and analysis articles about political and military issues in the Middle East that have been published in a variety of American and foreign publications, including one or two publications the members of the board may have heard of. Apart from that though, my resume since college is pretty lackluster. I ran a successful Congressional campaign, sold cars, and had a couple periods where I was unemployed. My first choice is intel and I realize I'm not remotely competitive for that at this point, but my OR said there's also an option for SWO intel that's more collection and less analysis, and presumably less competitive. So I'm wondering if anyone could tell me whether I might be competitive for a SWO intel spot or maybe an IW spot without going to grad school/becoming fluent in Arabic.

exNavyOffRec

I posted this in another thread as well, but just so more people see it:

I'm new to the OCS process. I'm taking the OAR tomorrow, but as far as I can tell, I got a 62 on the practice test. I have a BA in poli sci (2013) from a state school with a 3.1, some Arabic proficiency, but I'm not fluent, and I studied in Jordan. I've also written quite a few news and analysis articles about political and military issues in the Middle East that have been published in a variety of American and foreign publications, including one or two publications the members of the board may have heard of. Apart from that though, my resume since college is pretty lackluster. I ran a successful Congressional campaign, sold cars, and had a couple periods where I was unemployed. My first choice is intel and I realize I'm not remotely competitive for that at this point, but my OR said there's also an option for SWO intel that's more collection and less analysis, and presumably less competitive. So I'm wondering if anyone could tell me whether I might be competitive for a SWO intel spot or maybe an IW spot without going to grad school/becoming fluent in Arabic.

So to start with there is no SWO-Intel anymore (RUFIO has mentioned this many times) in fact I think in 6 years only 1 person was put in that designator before they halted it and when it comes to SWO options they are just as competitive as the ones that aren't SWO options since they are picked by the same board in addition the only difference between SWO options and the straight designators is that the option ones go to a ship to get a SWO pin first, otherwise no difference, you GPA is low for anything IWC, IW is not called CWO and they rarely select non-STEM and foreign language doesn't matter since officers don't do that unless they become FAO's which is a lateral program.

Given the info your recruiter has given you I would be concerned about his/her abilities, your best shot is SWO and given your age I wouldn't mess around and apply sooner rather than later.

FormerRecruitingGuru

So to start with there is no SWO-Intel anymore (RUFIO has mentioned this many times) in fact I think in 6 years only 1 person was put in that designator before they halted it and when it comes to SWO options they are just as competitive as the ones that aren't SWO options since they are picked by the same board in addition the only difference between SWO options and the straight designators is that the option ones go to a ship to get a SWO pin first, otherwise no difference, you GPA is low for anything IWC, IW is not called CWO and they rarely select non-STEM and foreign language doesn't matter since officers don't do that unless they become FAO's which is a lateral program.

Given the info your recruiter has given you I would be concerned about his/her abilities, your best shot is SWO and given your age I wouldn't mess around and apply sooner rather than later.

Agreed. Especially since NRC has made Intel goal and not SWO goal (yet).

RovingGent

Are you saying SWO is just as competitive as intel? If that's the case, I may as well just apply for intel, as I'd strongly prefer it and not be very optimistic.

exNavyOffRec

Are you saying SWO is just as competitive as intel? If that's the case, I may as well just apply for intel, as I'd strongly prefer it and not be very optimistic.

SWO options are just as competitive, SWO and SWO options are different designators and different boards

exNavyOffRec

Well in that case, I may just have to go to grad school first. Thanks for the info and the heads up that my OR doesn't know what he's talking about.

If you want to be an officer then you should go for SWO, grad school could help "a little" with Intel but with such low selection percentages, your UG GPA and with a non tech degree it is still a very low chance.

FormerRecruitingGuru

You're 27. With most grad programs being 18 months - 2 years you risk aging out for SWO (you must commission before turning 29). I would honestly go with SWO as your first/only choice with what you have. If your overall goal is to be an INTEL Officer, do well as a SWO and submit a lateral transfer package (essentially changing career paths). I cannot guarantee you will get picked up, but if you perform and stand out during your SWO Division Officer tours it will certainly help.