• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Making HAC

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I've searched, but can't really find a comprehensive explanation of what all is involved in making HAC. I get that 3710 says you need to make it in 24 months and must have 500 hours? But what all is involved in ones progressions from a FNG out of the FRS through HAC? What causes some to take longer than others? Is your destiny somewhat in your own hands, or is it left to the scheduling gods? Also, is the 500 hours time in type or does that include pre-wings? If anyone would be nice enough to either explain the process to me or point me in the right direction to find out (I've looked, but can't seem to get a full explanation) I'd greatly appreciate it.

phrogpilot73

But what all is involved in ones progressions from a FNG out of the FRS through HAC?
It all depends on your community, your CO, your OpsO, schedule, FRAG requirements, etc...

What causes some to take longer than others?
Abilities, timing, your CO, your OpsO, schedule, FRAG requirements, etc... (seeing a trend?)
Is your destiny somewhat in your own hands, or is it left to the scheduling gods?
A little of both, throw in some ability that you can't control as well...

Also, is the 500 hours time in type or does that include pre-wings?
OPNAV provides for only 500 hours total time, don't know about any NATOPS other than mine, but for us - it was dependent on CO's perogative.

If anyone would be nice enough to either explain the process to me or point me in the right direction to find out (I've looked, but can't seem to get a full explanation) I'd greatly appreciate it.
I don't remember where it was - but there's something that says that you have to be in the syllabus by 750 flight hours total. Of course, that might be Marine specific.

My first CO, you just had to hit 500 hours total - then you were in the syllabus. Then we had a change of command. All of a sudden, we had to have 500 hours in model to be in the syllabus. A guy I went to the RAG with was a Section Lead before I was even a HAC because of this. We had the exact same amount of flight hours.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Too many variables dependent on command, community, etc. If you can provide more information such as community/airframe then we could help you from there.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Well I would like to go HSC west coast, but I'm leaning toward the west coast regardless of community. So I guess I would direct it toward HSC.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once you finish the FRS, you go to your first sea command and there is another whole syllabus waiting for you. Be it H2P, HAC, Instructor quals; there is a PQS or syllabus. Once you've completed the HAC signoffs (level 300 type stuff) and you have the minimum hours required by OPNAV (500 hours total) and you meet your wing/squadron SOP, you are eligible to be boarded for HAC.

It's a big deal, as you then have the keys to the car. I'm not HSC, but the process is pretty much the same.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Ok, here goes a general description YMMV.
The first step is H2P. helicopter 2nd Pilot. You have to make that milestone by 12 months. Average is 9. Normally when you show up to a squadron you get your PQS and are sent on your merry way. The squadron can choose to just give you a H2P syllabus and let you go with that. Normally you do H2P along with Sea Combat Level 2 from the SWTP. There are about 270 ish signatures in that PQS if I remember correctly. There are also certain flight cards required before you get the qual. Usually OPS tries to schedule you for flights to complete those cards when possible. However being proactive will help.

Once you make H2P you can start the HAC syllabus. This is usually married with the Sea Combat LVL 3 syllabus. Somewhere in there you also have the Strike 2 Syllabus and then Strike LVL 3 (Usually STK 2 is done after H2P but before HAC and Strike 3 is done after HAC) Not everyone makes Strike 3. It all depends on squadron flight hours, how well you are doing in the syllabus, aptitude, etc.

If you are motivated and get your PQS signatures done early then you are more likely to be given the flights and review boards to get the qualification. Usual time to HAC is 15-18 months. 24 is the maximum or you have to face the man in a FNAEB.

As previously mentioned some CO's add hours to the requirement, others dont. I would expect the 500 in model to start to be the norm everywhere with the flight hour cuts.

If your squadron is starting a workup cycle when you get there then they are more likely to have flight hours to get your cards done. Plus the boat is a great place to get signatures because you have nothing else to do. Again it all depends. Bottom line, the more motivated you are, the quicker it happens and the more likely your squadron will try to help you out.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for all the great replies.

As previously mentioned some CO's add hours to the requirement, others dont. I would expect the 500 in model to start to be the norm everywhere with the flight hour cuts.

Why would they be adding more total hours because of flight hour cuts?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
My experience was dated obviously, but 500 hours total time was a minimum benchmark for making HAC, for years.

LowFlier's post is spot on I would think - but in general I think you need to successfully complete a full cruise/deployment as H2P. In my day, you were looking to shoot for a HAC checkride sometime in the last 4 weeks of your cruise - and you came home a HAC. Some communities wanted to see you back from det and go through a formal squadron HAC board before you were designated.

In general, there's some window of expectation of when you should make HAC by - and trust me, your progress is being followed. If you find yourself well outside the window for making HAC and you have the experience, it's generally a bad thing.