• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Magic Carpet

Python

pilot
Contributor
Ya. it does, how does it do a case II/III pitching deck?

It does the same CASE II/III as it does during CASE I...why would the case make a difference?

As for pitching deck, that's another story...haven't flown it pitching deck but it no doubt would be an improvement.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Ya. it does, how does it do a case II/III pitching deck?

Case II is case I for all practical purposes. You just get into the pattern differently. If something is good Case I, then it will be better Case III since you have more time to get everything suitcased and you didn't just snap it off at 6 bills.

I just missed the carpet but from what I've seen from the test nerds, it is crack. Like, "do we really need FCLPs anymore?" crack. It will only make pitching decks easier to deal with. Except for the fact that if you aren't in cycle with the deck movement, then you're just going to go away and try it again next time. No matter what your flight controls are doing.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I've only used it at the field so far, but it's a pretty easy way to fly a "rails" pass. Even on a gusty wind day it does a solid job, far better than ATC. The only gotchas are input errors in glideslope and ship's speed. I forgot to set ship's speed to zero once, and wondered why the delta-path indicator was walking down the runway. You still have to take care of lineup, obviously. I also found it a little tough at first to un-learn the 3-part power correction mindset, but I was a 100% manual flyer on my previous fleet tour, even as a cruise-experienced JO. It's weird to push/pull on the stick until a centered ball and just "let go" until touchdown.

I'm a believer, at least until the jet starts to have degrades. I'm not ready to completely trust it and let go of manual ball flying skills yet, but I can see the writing on the wall, once the proper redundancy is in place. It'll be interesting to see what the fleet thoughts are on it when I re-CQ this summer.

For those currently in the fleet, what's the ball call with Magic Carpet engaged?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
My AW was the first non test guys to take it to the boat last fall. Everyone had to do CQ without it. Then after CQ, it was game on for anyone that was senior enough to be an auto flyer. So, for the new JO's, no love. For those who used it, it was awesome. Definitely a game changer. When full redundancy hits and everyone can use it, I can foresee tank states coming down as well as FCLP requirements changing.