• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC M-16A4 USMC config

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
IMG_3188.JPG On this evenings news, saw a Marine Recruit with an interesting configuration in service rifle.

Full M-16A4 upper, 20" barrel, married to a carbine adjustable stock.

Question- is this a new or common config?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Yeah, it looks a little odd. Usually the M4's have the shorter barrel, hence the cutout in front of the front sight post so you can attach an M203. Maybe its some weird setup just for boot camp or MCT?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, it looks a little odd. Usually the M4's have the shorter barrel, hence the cutout in front of the front sight post so you can attach an M203. Maybe its some weird setup just for boot camp or MCT?

Marines are deploying with it. Apparently it's what they "get now" according to the NCO I was talking to about it.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Reminds me of Canadien C-7 rifle
P1071306-660x495.jpg

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Marines are deploying with it. Apparently it's what they "get now" according to the NCO I was talking to about it.

Support MOSs only? East coast/ west coast? As of 2015 the grunts still had normal M4 or M16s. Maybe just unit specific?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Support MOSs only? East coast/ west coast? As of 2015 the grunts still had normal M4 or M16s. Maybe just unit specific?
Or some armorer needed a weapon now, so they just said "fuck it" and slapped an M16 upper on an M4 lower?

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Usually smaller guys or gals have the armorer put the M4 stock on the M16. Everyone else with an M16A4 is still rocking the standard A2 fixed stock. Its just an ergo thing so the length of pull doesn't suck for the smaller built Marines. Its not the standard config.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Apparently the scopes came out 4 years ago, rifles about 3.

Not sure how far they've been proliferated but this dude is in a vehicle based support unit. All of the marines from that unit seem to have them and they're various sized dudes. If it's not widespread I'm guessing they've been issued to deploying units who ride in small spaced vehicles and aircraft for a living...

ChuckMK23

pilot
AR-15 dot com folks tell me that carbine stock lowers with M-16A4 uppers are issued to smaller recruits as needed for ergonomic reasons and to maximize scores at MCRD East and West. What I don't know is outside of rifle range period, if recruits actually *drill* with a rifle in this configuration. I am guessing not.

The news clips was about female recruits placing in combat arms MOS's. It's on PBS News Hour last Thurs and Fri - as a side note very interesting story.

Duc'-guy25

pilot

Yea no one quals using iron sights anymore. When I did my quals they didn't even bother teaching us to use the flip up sights. Everyone shoots with the RCO (Trijicon ACOG 4x32 Scope with M193 Reticle). Great little optic though, might put one with a 7.62 BDC on my M1A when I get sick of shooting with the iron sights. T

The new tables will be a lot different, table 1 which is pretty much static shooting will stay the same. The new table two is going to kind of suck, it starts at the 457 meter line and has short time limits/moving quickly to each new shooting position getting closer and closer to the targets, so you're actually going to have to control some breathing. Don't know much about what they're doing with the other tables though.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

ChuckMK23

pilot
I think the intent is to issue M27 IAR to EVERYONE in Infantry, Reconnaissance and LAR battalions, replacing M4 and M16A4's