• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LT Jim H. "K-12" Knollmueller USNR

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jim "K-12" Knollmueller was my friend, roommate, and my assigned Wingman on our VA-146 combat cruise of 1965-'66, aboard USS RANGER (CVA-61). I first met Jim when he was a nugget RP & I was an IP in the A-4 FRS VA-125 in 1963. I flew a number of training flights plus a 2-week weapns Det. with him, and was amazed at his skill & aero proficiency given his limited experience.

I met up with Jim again when I reported to the "Blue Diamonds" in the fall of '65 just prior to deployment. Jim had completed his first cruise (1964-'65) on CONNIE and had participated in the retaliatory strikes follwing the Tonkin Gulf incident and sparked "Operation Rolling Thunder" in 1964. We requested to be roommates on cruise, and Jim was assigned as my Wingman. When I went down in June of '66, he was on my wing & covered my a$$ faithfully throughout the mission from hit to egress, giving me steers to feet wet (cockpit IFR w/smoke), updating me on damage & fire progress, then told me when to eject when clear of land. When he said "eject now, Hugh", I replied "ROGER", and departed. He always said it was the only time that he ever made a suggestion to which I didn't reply with an argument!

He stayed orbiting over me throughout my descent, and when the SAR helo had trouble heading toward me, K-12 took over and gave him steers until he had us in sight. Though low on fuel, he stayed with me until he saw me in the helo & reported it to the CO (flight leader) and the ship, then headed home.

Jim's performance as a courageous & skilled "wingie" was instrumental to my survival that sunny June day so long ago.

RIP Shipmate, we'll meet again and tip a cool one in the not too distant future!

OBITUARY

LT JAMES HERMAN KNOLLMUELLER
12.17.1940 - 02.07.2013
James Herman Knollmueller passed away peacefully at home in Grants Pass, oregon on 7 February 2013. He was 72 years old. He was born in Chicago, IL in 1940, the third Son to emigrant parents from Germany. He graduated from Arlington High School in 1958.​
LT Knollmueller USNR served as a Navy A-4C pilot during the early-to-mid 1960's. He served in VA-146 (Blue Diamonds) and had combat cruises on USS CONSTELLATION and USS RANGER. In 1964 he flew combat sorties in support of Operation PIERCE ARROW in the wake of the Gulf of Tonkin Incident. He later flew 139 missions over North Vietnam while stationed aboard USS RANGER. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, 14 Air Medals, a Navy Commendation with Combat "V", and several unit and campaign medals/ribbons during his active duty service.​
After his tour of active duty in the Navy ended in 1967, he was hired by Pan American Airways; and remained with Pan Am as a 707 (and later 747) pilot, co-pilot, and flight engineer. After Pan Am ceased passenger operations in 1991, he remaineded in Miami, FL with the training division of the company as a simulator instructor for new pilots until illness forced him to retire in 1997.​
James is survived by Connie, his wife of 44 years - as well as their their three children and four grandchildren.​
VA-146 Patch     Pre-1968.jpgA-4C 149582 NK601 VA-146.jpgBusy Bee Ejection Painting 25JUNE1966.jpg
BzB