• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Low Undergrad GPA, masters degree, prior civilian legal trouble, good conduct enlisted

Status
Not open for further replies.

PO2 Alexander

I searched the threads through and through to see if anyones situation is similar to mine, but I think mine is a bit unique.

Here's the deal, I graduated from a middle of the pack university in 2012 with a B.A. in History and minor in Spanish. My GPA was a lousy 2.8. I was also on the university soccer team all 4 years.

Upon graduation I knew I wouldn't stand a chance going commission with a low GPA (especially with the downsizing in 2012). I had also been arrested in 2009 for drinking underage and misdemeanor marijuana possession. So I enlisted at the end of 2012, with legal waivers and an 82 asvab.

I enlisted in 2012 and completed my active duty contract in 2016 with no NJPs, Good Conduct, ESWS, all EPs and MPs, a few letters of appreciation, and achieving the the rank of E-5. I am now in the Reserves and have volunteered for a few mobilization too.

I have just received my Masters Degree in Humanities from a top 5 University (3.4 gpa), completed an internship in Java programming, coach youth soccer, and am a supervisor in my civilian job. I also have a leadership role in my reserve unit as an LPO and command fitness leader.

Although I had a terrible undergrad GPA, would my recent GPA in grad school potentially supersede the lousy undergrad GPA in the eyes of a selection board? Also, my prior legal trouble in 2009 was already documented when I enlisted. I'm hoping that my 6 total years of service of no civil or military trouble will be taken into consideration.

Currently my package is (nearly) completed (because my 2807 is now over 90 days old), I have my commissioning physical next week, and then I'm submitting. I am applying to supply, Intel, and swo. I have 3 supply appraisals (2 O6 and 1 O5), 2 Intel appraisals (1 O6 and 1 O4), and 1 O5 swo appraisal. All of my appraisals are straight 10s. My OAR is a 51, and my co wrote a strong endorsement. I have 2 letters of rec from two O6s who were my COs on active duty, and 1 letter of rec from my dean at Graduate school.

I have anxiety about my low undergrad GPA and prior civilian legal trouble. But will my accomplishments and conduct as an enlisted sailor override my legal trouble from 10 years ago as a civilian? And will my recent graduation from a top 5 grad school override my low undergrad GPA at a no-name average university?

I am considering taking the ASTB as well just in case it doesn't work out with the aforementioned communities since my degrees/background aren't in parallel with supply and Intel.

exNavyOffRec

The bad news is even though you were waivered before they will still look at the negative items, the better news is that your MA GPA will be factored in to your UG GPA so that will make it a bit better, however the average GPA will still be low. The best shot you have is going for SWO, Intel and Supply are so competitive they look for anything to turn down an application, and legal issues and low GPA are 2 of them.

I would go SWO, Supply, and then Intel.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I’d say you have a decent chance if you were able to sell the “I turned my life around” in your interviews and personal statement. There are plenty of mediocre students with spotty histories serving as Officers in the Navy (I am one of them) so put your best application in and let the chips fall where they may.

If it doesn’t work out, take it as another life lesson on actions having consequences and keep on truckin’...

exNavyOffRec

I’d say you have a decent chance if you were able to sell the “I turned my life around” in your interviews and personal statement. There are plenty of mediocre students with spotty histories serving as Officers in the Navy (I am one of them) so put your best application in and let the chips fall where they may.

If it doesn’t work out, take it as another life lesson on actions having consequences and keep on truckin’...

aviation is by far the most forgiving of any designator, I have seen and put in several who had some issues in the past such as DUI, poss of MJ, disturbing the peace, fighting, etc.......

The ones that will say no for the littlest thing are Supply, any IWC designator, and CEC

PO2 Alexander

aviation is by far the most forgiving of any designator, I have seen and put in several who had some issues in the past such as DUI, poss of MJ, disturbing the peace, fighting, etc.......

The ones that will say no for the littlest thing are Supply, any IWC designator, and CEC

Thanks for the feedback, I feel a lot better about it now. I enlisted to prove that I can turn it around and nearly 10 years later I have something to show for it (I mean that in the most humble way, it took a lot of help from others to get where I'm at)

And I will apply for aviation too. I'm going to take the ASTB this summer to keep all my options open. I just need to schedule a flight physical. I've already preemptively requested an age waiver from the community designator (I'm 27), and I have until December 9 2019 for pilot, and December 9 2021 for NFO since im prior enlisted.

I appreciate the realistic feedback. My dream since 2011 was to become a Naval Officer. The community isn't as important to me, but I know for a fact I want to put in at least 20 years as an officer. One thing I'll note about my undergrad GPA, my first 5 semesters I was sitting at a 1.8, and my last 3 semesters in college I raised it up to a 2.8. The average GPA of my last 3 semesters in college was a 3.7. Do you think they'll take into consideration the improvement arc/turnaround in my transcripts from my first 5 semesters to my last 3 semester @NavyOffRec ?

PO2 Alexander

I have another question for you @NavyOffRec since you seem very knowledgeable about the selection process. I haven't found the answer and have thoroughly searched Google and air warriors. I'm also new and was informed about this site a few days ago, so my apologies if I overlooked this or you/someone has already touched on this topic.

But for my OCS package, am I competing only against other enlisted, or am I competing against enlisted and non priors too? Is there a quota pool that needs to be met? For example, they need x amount of prior enlisted for ocs, and they need x amount of non priors/civilians for ocs?

PO2 Alexander

Do you think I should address the prior civilian trouble/low GPA in my statement? I was under the impression they'll see the improvement arc in my package and that it will speak for itself. I was advised to not address the negatives and only speak of the positives. However if you have good reasoning, I am 100% receptive to advice.

I talked about my accomplishments in the Navy and graduating with my master's from an ivy league caliber institution (in a humble way of course). I didn't mention the low undergrad GPA, or prior legal troubles because I was told the "turn my life around story" will speak for itself as they comb through my package. My appraisals are all 10s, and two of them (an O6 and an O5) even mentioned how I turned my life around since 2009. All of my appraisals have long detailed paragraphs that say things such as "select him now," "must pick," and "return PO2 to my ward room." What do you think? Should I use the statement to address the negatives too, since I only have 250 words?

Also, @picklesuit what community/designator are you?

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I have another question for you @NavyOffRec since you seem very knowledgeable about the selection process. I haven't found the answer and have thoroughly searched Google and air warriors. I'm also new and was informed about this site a few days ago, so my apologies if I overlooked this or you/someone has already touched on this topic.

But for my OCS package, am I competing only against other enlisted, or am I competing against enlisted and non priors too? Is there a quota pool that needs to be met? For example, they need x amount of prior enlisted for ocs, and they need x amount of non priors/civilians for ocs?

you compete against everyone, and the select the best qualified, doesn't matter if they are active, reserve, prior, or civilian.

PO2 Alexander

you compete against everyone, and the select the best qualified, doesn't matter if they are active, reserve, prior, or civilian.

Good to know, I still like my chances and will still apply to Intel, supply, and swo. Worst thing that happens is they say No. I've literally done everything I can do to make myself stand out since I joined in 2012. Playing every card I have at the moment.

I'm thinking of tailoring my package toward each community. For example for supply, just using my 3 supply appraisals for that one. And for swo, I'll just use 3 Swo appraisals. And for the first page of each application I'll put the aforementioned community as my only choice. Do you think that will increase my chances? I'm also going to tailor my essay toward each community.

exNavyOffRec

Good to know, I still like my chances and will still apply to Intel, supply, and swo. Worst thing that happens is they say No. I've literally done everything I can do to make myself stand out since I joined in 2012. Playing every card I have at the moment.

I'm thinking of tailoring my package toward each community. For example for supply, just using my 3 supply appraisals for that one. And for swo, I'll just use 3 Swo appraisals. And for the first page of each application I'll put the aforementioned community as my only choice. Do you think that will increase my chances? I'm also going to tailor my essay toward each community.

The application goes in all as one, you can't send it 3 different applications, unless you send in one for IWC, then wait for result, then send in one for Supply, etc.....

PO2 Alexander

The application goes in all as one, you can't send it 3 different applications, unless you send in one for IWC, then wait for result, then send in one for Supply, etc.....

Oh the NC1 and XO of my command said you could. Since Intel is due May 4 (today) supply is due in July (I forget the swo date). I have the instruction and due dates in my binder so I can't remember exactly.

I don't see why you cant submit seperate packages since all 3 are completely different review boards, with different dates, and different officers. I'm sure you're right, but what's the rationale?

Lucky_CPO

NavyOffRec is correct, do not submit a separate kit for each board! This will cause issues at Millington, submit 1 kit with all the designators you want to apply for.

PO2 Alexander

NavyOffRec is correct, do not submit a separate kit for each board! This will cause issues at Millington, submit 1 kit with all the designators you want to apply for.

Okay, thank you for the input. It seems like most NC1's don't know anything. When I first approached him about OCS he gave me the sta-21 guidelines. I figured he was wrong after navyoffrec's post.

exNavyOffRec

Okay, thank you for the input. It seems like most NC1's don't know anything. When I first approached him about OCS he gave me the sta-21 guidelines. I figured he was wrong after navyoffrec's post.

They get minimal training on OCS programs, I happened to have gone through the CCC school and it is all about retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.