• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lost Medical Records

TexasForever

pilot
I did a quick search and found nothing other than the general "don't lose your medical records" so here I am.

A couple weeks ago I went to base medical to pick up an admin up-chit and lo and behold my medical record could not be found. I went back a couple times and was pretty much given the ol' "that sucks" and nothing of consequence was done. If they really did lose my medical record (just medical, dental had their act together) what am I really in for? I've got several NAMI waivers from years ago and an annual flight physical coming up next month. I'm imagining a complete long form flight physical, all immunizations redone, and paperwork fiasco to verify my waivers (PRK and knee).

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
My medical records disappeared at ~ the 5 year mark and it really wasn't that painful (and this was 20 years ago). NAMI should have all your waiver info, and your squadron doc should be able to help you pull together all the different pieces of your record that have been stored somewhere else.

You will want to try to get a record of anything that might relate to a future disability claim documented in your new record, even if it is just via notes from the flight surgeon on your next physical.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
My ship was a bunch of morons and sent my records in to the archives for destruction and didn't fess up to it until about eight months a while I was on staff (after they accused me of taking them even though transfer policy at the time was that ship had to mail them to complete the transfer- sorry no hand walking). I ended up having to get a ALTA/HAIMS print out of my records and MOST of it had been scanned in (except annual upchits etc).

Make sure you file an ICE complaint at the clinic for their mishandling and ultimate loss of HIPPA and PII sensitive records. That'll spark an internal hunt to find them (after initial blame on you for taking them).

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
What zippy said. Most of your record should be in ALTA, waivers are on file at NAMI.

It's not fun, but it's mostly a paperwork drill.

ETA: also happens in AD->Reserve transitions too!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My medical and dental records mysteriously disappeared before my retirement......

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
My brothers. I am here to tell you that you need to make a copy of your medical record every year after your physical or any other procedure. I learned this critical lesson when I was still a shiny new Lance Corporal in the Corps. I broke my leg in a training exercise and when my Gunny came to get me from the hospital he said, "The docs are good, the nurses capable, even the corpsman solid, but never trust anyone who joins the goddamned navy just to file paperwork."

Having those records saved my butt when I retired and when VA time came around.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Funny, mine never made it to the VA after my separation either.
Mine made it to the VA, but my personal copy "wasn't ready" by my separation date.

Thankfully ALTA had most of it, which my NOSC used to reconstitute my record.

TexasForever

pilot
My ship was a bunch of morons and sent my records in to the archives for destruction and didn't fess up to it until about eight months a while I was on staff (after they accused me of taking them even though transfer policy at the time was that ship had to mail them to complete the transfer- sorry no hand walking). I ended up having to get a ALTA/HAIMS print out of my records and MOST of it had been scanned in (except annual upchits etc).

Make sure you file an ICE complaint at the clinic for their mishandling and ultimate loss of HIPPA and PII sensitive records. That'll spark an internal hunt to find them (after initial blame on you for taking them).
What's an ICE? I know if I bring up HIPAA and PII that should spark some response.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
What's an ICE? I know if I bring up HIPAA and PII that should spark some response.

It's the evaluation/complaint system that the hospitals use. According to a friend that's a provider in DoD medicine, an ICE complaint will get attention.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Ask (or even call) NAMI about the AERO database. It's where all flight physicals are recorded and routed. Waivers and supporting documents are all scanned in there, too. There's supposed to be a general-availability CAC access "coming soon," so anyone can access info about themselves, but even now any corpsman should be able to show you what's in there and print everything. NRDs and ROTC units should have access too.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Ask (or even call) NAMI about the AERO database. It's where all flight physicals are recorded and routed. Waivers and supporting documents are all scanned in there, too. There's supposed to be a general-availability CAC access "coming soon," so anyone can access info about themselves, but even now any corpsman should be able to show you what's in there and print everything. NRDs and ROTC units should have access too.

Might be worth a try to check now: I was able to access my flight physical while at OCS and watch as my waiver process went through to completion.

https://vfso.rucker.amedd.army.mil/ (site seems to be down now, but if you go to that link and click "Access Flight Physicals" it should prompt you to login with your CAC and then you can see your flight physicals)

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Might be worth a try to check now: I was able to access my flight physical while at OCS and watch as my waiver process went through to completion.

https://vfso.rucker.amedd.army.mil/ (site seems to be down now, but if you go to that link and click "Access Flight Physicals" it should prompt you to login with your CAC and then you can see your flight physicals)
May only be accessible from a .mil domain.

SemperFiDay

anyone have issues as service transfer that only has 2808/2807 and dental from that service? Im told they just recreate your record at OCS..