• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for Updated info on Housing for API

jstack

I've read through pretty much every thread on the site about housing down in Pcola for flight school. A lot of it is confusing as it pertains to specific situations, or is fairly outdated. I'm going to be finishing TBS in a couple months and i'll be heading down directly to API because I already have a PPL. My CO informed us we will be reporting there directly after TBS with little to no downtime.
I will be moving down there with my girlfriend who is a travel nurse (mostly ER and ICU), so I need to figure out what area would be the best for the API to Primary phase. I need to get a handle on this now so she can plan accordingly for job applications. I see that some people chose to live in one place for API and one for primary, is that the best course of action? Ideally we are looking for an area that is near "stuff" (i.e hospitals, beach, stores, restaurants, etc).... a more suburban area if you will, not city but not the sticks. The goal is to keep the commute to work and to fun under an hour. I'm open to a house or apartment as long as it is pet friendly.

She's getting on my case about finding an area to live so I was wondering if some guys that have been there recently have some good (current) gouge. Thanks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My CO informed us we will be reporting there directly after TBS with little to no downtime. I will be moving down there with my girlfriend who is a travel nurse (mostly ER and ICU), so I need to figure out what area would be the best for the API to Primary phase. I need to get a handle on this now so she can plan accordingly for job applications. I see that some people chose to live in one place for API and one for primary, is that the best course of action?

She's getting on my case about finding an area to live so I was wondering if some guys that have been there recently have some good (current) gouge. Thanks.

If things haven't changed drastically you could still get sent to Corpus Christi in Texas for primary after API so I am not sure the girlfriend planning on getting a job in P'cola is such a great idea. One thing you can count on in flight school is a lot of uncertainty, including where your next training locale will be so now might be a good time to make sure your girlfriend realizes this. Just from your one comment about her getting on your case I am not sure she understands just how much flight school can be 'unstable' in many respects for the next few years, better start preparing her now instead her finding out eh hard way.

jstack

If things haven't changed drastically you could still get sent to Corpus Christi in Texas for primary after API so I am not sure the girlfriend planning on getting a job in P'cola is such a great idea. One thing you can count on in flight school is a lot of uncertainty, including where your next training locale will be so now might be a good time to make sure your girlfriend realizes this. Just from your one comment about her getting on your case I am not sure she understands just how much flight school can be 'unstable' in many respects for the next few years, better start preparing her now instead her finding out eh hard way.

Sorry I forgot to include that she is a travel nurse. She works for an independent company that contracts out for 8-13 week periods that can also result in permanent positions. Shes completely understands, but I'm trying to get info on the area so she can inform her recruiter where to look.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Sorry I forgot to include that she is a travel nurse. She works for an independent company that contracts out for 8-13 week periods that can also result in permanent positions. Shes completely understands, but I'm trying to get info on the area so she can inform her recruiter where to look.

Because you don't know where you'll end up for primary, I would suggest living near the back gate (Perdido Key) for API. Perdido Key is beautiful. The only problem for you all might be a commute for your girlfriend. You would be pretty close to API.

The Northern part of Pensacola would be alright too (Governor's Gate and those other apartment complexes near there). If you live in Northern Pensacola your girlfriend will be close to hospitals but you will be commuting 35 min or so to API every day. Additionally, if you got orders to Whiting you would not be able to break the lease and you would still be commuting about 35 min to Primary every day. I did this for Advanced. It was not ideal. However, it was nice being 15 min from downtown. Everyone crashed at my place on weekends.

The benefit to living in Perdido for API is that you can get out of the lease whether or not you go to Whiting or Corpus. If you do primary at Whiting, Pace sounds like a pretty good fit for your needs. Not too far from downtown Pensacola and about a 20 min commute to Whiting.

If you end up in Corpus…well…sucks to suck.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ever thought of living on a boat or RV for the duration of flight school? I've known a few guys who did that; one still lives on his boat now as an O-3. You'll be moved around a lot these next few years, and you'd be surprised how many expenses associated with boat/RV you can treat the same as a house if it's your primary residence. Still get BAH, for example, and your payments are treated same as a mortgage at tax time.

djj34

pilot
Heads up: wait time from MATSG 22 to VT-27/28/31/35 in Corpus is minimal to non existent. When I left TW-5 just over a week ago, there was a bit of a wait for primary. Obviously, things can (and probably will) change by the time you're looking at orders for primary.

Personally, I lived at the Crossings on 9 Mile at 9 Mile and University. It's walking distance to two hospitals. Same with Governor's Gate. When my lease expired 3 weeks into primary, I took a weekend and moved all my s*#t to Avalon Blvd west of Milton when I got a house twice as big for $90 more in rent. 15 minutes to Whiting, 10 to N Pensacola and 15 to downtown. Not bad. That arrangement worked for me because I spent forever at MATSG 21 and NASC.

LFDtoUSMC

pilot
Contributor
All of the above advice is solid. There was/is a Corpus draft going on right now coming out of MATSG-21. Of course, that may change by the time you finish TBS and get down to P-Cola. You will get some briefs during the last few weeks of TBS that will give you a little better (not exact) idea of what to expect timeline wise when you arrive.

TnSig

SNA
As mentioned above, north Pensacola is best for being near "stuff" like hospitals, the mall, etc. The big complexes up there are Governor's Gate, Kings Mill, Majestic Oaks, Crestview and a few others. Most of those in my API class lived right out of the back gate in Countrywood @ Blue Angel or Angel Cove. Many also rented houses in Perdido Key. If you live close to base, you will most likely want to move once you go to primary unless you are an SNFO.

JNavMyers

Because you don't know where you'll end up for primary, I would suggest living near the back gate (Perdido Key) for API. Perdido Key is beautiful.

Where is Perido Key would you recommend staying? Cant seem to find any rental homes or apartments in that area.

AaronJB

Dumb Ensign, VT-6
I'm currently living in Lost Key. If you are a golfer like me, this place is pretty close to heaven on earth. It's awesome.

jstack

So we are now thinking of biting the bullet and going to Corpus for primary (girlfriend wants to travel some more). I am definitely looking at Perdido Key at this point, so that is great advice. I have a PPL but i'm thinking of doing IFS anyways for a refresher so I'll be there a little longer.