• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Looking for advice about my situation

steel-and-fire

Hello to everyone.

Stats:
New York, NY
Male, will be 29 years old this year (2017).
Xavier High School 2006
Ithaca College: Bachelor's of Science, Cinema Production, 2010, 3.0
Brooklyn College: Bachelor's of Science, Accounting, 2016, 3.264
AFQT Score: 92
No debt.
No apartment.
No significant other.
Car via lease.

2017 is an interesting year for me. I am trying a number of different venues to find a well paying job. I have been steadily employed for nearly five years, but it is only at 25K, with the medical benefits the only reason I haven't quit after completing my second degree for two and a half of those years in the evenings. One area I thought was worth pursuing was the Navy. I considered it a little out of the box thinking. Specifically, because I have college credits, I thought active duty OCS would be the smart move. Interested in Supply corps and logistics, as they transfer very easily into the civilian world.

Started with a recruiter in January and have since taken the ASVAB. Scheduling the ASTB / OAR is the next important step, as well as MEPS. Problems I might face is I have a benign heart murmur. It is a disqualification. so I am gathering my medical history to prove it would not affect my performance. I also know 29 is the last year (despite what the website says) for joining. I have been upfront with the recruiter that I would only be interested in joining if I am selected for OCS; enlisting would not be an option. If this was not possible, I wouldn't want to waste their time, especially if medical or age was a problem.

Going through this process, I am still applying for jobs and internships to keep my options open in all venues. No reason to limit myself.

Those in support of me possibly joining the Navy... just me. Friends all got their wives/girlfriends and have no concern. Parents all against. Brother partially against. That doesn't help, but I am the best when it comes to second guessing and self-doubt. I am just getting worried that I'm doing it for the wrong reasons or that I won't be able to "hack it" and waste peoples time. Originally, I thought doing it would be a great way to get back into shape before OCS, do something very select people do, remove myself from society for five years, better myself in some way, and this would be the opportune / only time it would be feasible. Every job application wants someone with "leadership skills" and this would definitely qualify. The more I get involved, the more I start getting worried since I have no real experience in it, apart from two years of JROTC in high school.

Since I cannot bounce thoughts or ideas to anyone, I figured this forum might be the best place. Whether this is some quarter life desperation move, or if it is actually something that is possible and a good idea. Maybe get some of your input on my situation. I guess you could say I am approaching a crossroads soon and might have to pause to figure which road to take. I do not know if I may even be competitive for OCS.

Your thoughts and time are greatly appreciated.

Alex

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
TL;DR. I've never seen anyone clear with any sort of medical history with a heart murmur. You answered your own question with the disqualification.

Even if you clear medical, only eligible program is Intel, but ideally speaking they don't select theater majors with a 3.0....

If your overall goal is NAVY, I would strongly encourage enlisted options.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
And at 29, with 2 degrees, I would highly recommend taking a second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh.... look at that.

Life deals you a hand of cards- the trick is to not the play spades hand in a game of poker.

100% this, don't enlist if you're not doing it out of some sort of patriotic duty. You'll be older than all of your peers, and probably find it frustrating. This was my experience with some of the guys I was in charge of at a young age because I had more experience in the job and knew what I was doing.

Don't enlist just because it's a job, you'll start off making less than you currently are, and the ceiling isn't that high unless you plan on making a career out of it.

steel-and-fire

I appreciate the advice.
Still haven't heard back from MEPS, but had been assigned a new officer for the recruitment and had me sign up for the OAR exam next week. I'll see how the test goes; nothing is lost in taking it.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Keep in mind that in most services, there are several types of similar jobs. If you're not set on becoming a Naval Officer, then take a look at the Army, Air Force, and Marines. They all have their own versions of supply, intelligence, logistics, etc.

Second what others have said about enlisting.

With an accounting degree in NY, you're having a hard time finding a job? Are you a CPA?

steel-and-fire

No, I do not have a CPA. That is an entirely different issue. While I could sit for the CPA exams, I would have to return back to school for additional classes to become CPA certified; approximately 7-10 classes which would take a year or two while currently employed at my current job (took night classes after work to receive my accounting degree).

Most companies want internships, 1-3 years of experience, well-known schools, etc.