• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Lifestyles of a SWO

Status
Not open for further replies.

MobyThicc

Tell me about life as a SWO.
I am prior supply in the army, I have an english degree, and plan to commission. So, on paper, SWO sounds really cool. But the opinions on the job are extremely mixed. Will I be struggling just to get a night of sleep all the time? Will I hate myself midway through my first tour? I know nothing about the navy, and I have no friends or family that have ever served. I want to be an officer, I just know that I don't want to do that in the army lol. SWO sounds awesome. Talk me in/out of it?

Edit: I would like to add that I am currently a bodybuilder, and really enjoy the fitness lifestyle. My biggest hobbies are working out, and reading. Would being a SWO be conducive to that lifestyle?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
SWO is like the Army of the Navy. The thrive on self-induced asspain, and are proud of how shitty they make life for themselves. They do things "because that's how we've always done it" and don't always put a lot of logic into their decision making.

Working out and reading is about all you will have time to do aboard a ship, after standing watch, so that works in your favor.
Pickle

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Tell me about life as a SWO.
I am prior supply in the army, I have an english degree, and plan to commission. So, on paper, SWO sounds really cool. But the opinions on the job are extremely mixed. Will I be struggling just to get a night of sleep all the time? Will I hate myself midway through my first tour? I know nothing about the navy, and I have no friends or family that have ever served. I want to be an officer, I just know that I don't want to do that in the army lol. SWO sounds awesome. Talk me in/out of it?

Edit: I would like to add that I am currently a bodybuilder, and really enjoy the fitness lifestyle. My biggest hobbies are working out, and reading. Would being a SWO be conducive to that lifestyle?
It is one of the least military cultures in the entire DoD. More akin to industrial management. It’s a self inflicted culture of shaming and suffering. Not a career anyone would look forward too.

Status
Not open for further replies.