• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Letters of Recommendation - Quantity vs Quality - Intel/SWO

SirDataDetective

Hey All,

I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I'm applying for the upcoming Intel and SWO Boards, with Intel being my first choice. My question concerns Letters of Recommendation.

Within the various stat breakdowns that I've seen on here for Intel, SWO, and Supply, many applicants seem to have a number of letters of recommendation, often time from high-level officers (O-6+). I've seen some individuals state that they have upwards of six/seven LoR, many extremely impressive, and a few different appraisals.

My questions are as follows:

1) Does the mantra of "the more, the better" ring true as it relates to Letters of Recommendation? Or is there a reasonable limit to the quantity of recommendations that one should add to an application package, with 3-4 originating from those who know you closest and/or can most authoritatively speak to your work experience/educational accomplishments being the most effective?

2) This one is more specific and may not have an immediate answer, but many LoRs noted on this forum, particularly those for Intel applications, appear to originate from high-level Officers or other impressively-decorated individuals. Now this may vary by the person, but is it possible that these LoR come from true shared experiences with these individuals through work/school/charities/etc., or are some of these recommendations coming in after a short conversation where one explains their background to said individual and asks for their recommendation based on the recommender's analysis of all that you've done and told them (which sounds a bit like an appraisal).

I ask, because I've seen some amazing LoRs from high-level officers directly in the field which I suspect are hugely beneficial for the application package. *I* don't have individuals like that as recommenders because my work experience isn't directly related to the fields that I am applying to, and I feel a bit inadequate because of it.
With that said, if these types of LoRs are coming from just sitting down and having a conversation, that's an option that, coupled with other more personal LoRs, can be very helpful. The DD370 form seems to imply that recommendations should come from those that have some sort of a relationship with you, but maybe I'm misinterpreting that and putting myself at a disadvantage, so I'm reaching out to the group here for your thoughts.

On a similar note, I'm diligently working with my OR to find an O-6+ Intelligence Officer (this was the rank that I was told I should look for), preferably in the local reserve units close to where I live, who can conduct an appraisal on me. I've also been doing some LinkedIn networking trying to find someone who can help. It's providing difficult. Any further suggestions on how to best approach this would be highly appreciated!

Thank you all for your help. This is a great site!

exNavyOffRec

search and read before you post (I just stole @RUFiO181 's thunder!), all your questions have been answered before. If you don't have a high GPA you should probably concentrate on SWO.

SirDataDetective

That's because I don't find it relevant to this topic of this thread. I'm not here to compare myself. There are other threads where stats like those are shared and discussed.

I don't mean to come off as rude, but I'm just mostly concentrated on the questions up above. I know that portions of it have been discussed sparsely elsewhere on this forum, but I'm looking for some fresh perspectives and some input on #2, which to me isn't clear.

If there are no answers, that's fine. I'll rely on what's already available out there.

exNavyOffRec

That's because I don't find it relevant to this topic of this thread. I'm not here to compare myself. There are other threads where stats like those are shared and discussed.

I don't mean to come off as rude, but I'm just mostly concentrated on the questions up above. I know that portions of it have been discussed sparsely elsewhere on this forum, but I'm looking for some fresh perspectives and some input on #2, which to me isn't clear.

If there are no answers, that's fine. I'll rely on what's already available out there.

basically I have seen many people get LOR's from Senators, Congressmen, Vice Admiral, etc...... and it did nothing for them, the people with excellent GPA's, LOR's from people who knew the candidate for years and supervised them are the ones who were selected.

The board members aren't dumb, they know just about anyone can blow smoke up someones ass for like an hour.

OAR really doesn't mean much, often OAR tracts with GPA, so that is why you tend to see people getting selected with good GPA's and OAR's.

Scaevola

Arts and Crafts SME
I only requested LoRs from people who knew me well - friends, coworkers, volunteer contacts, things of that nature. Like you, I had no direct contacts within the military intelligence community in my personal network, so when I was able to make some connections in that field, I asked those folks to conduct interview appraisals vice LoRs.

In terms of quantity versus quality, I had a little bit of both because my OR asked me to get LoRs from employers going back a few years and I had done some contract work which boosted the final tally, but overall I tried to make sure each LoR supported a unique angle and aligned with key points in my personal statement in some way; focusing on my leadership, management, and analytic skills. That is to say, quality was my top consideration so that I wouldn’t waste the board’s time with two LoRs that told basically the same story.

There’s no one right answer, but that was my approach a few years back when I got picked up for Intel. Hope that helps.

robav8r

None
Contributor
There’s no one right answer . . .
^ This. In the end, it doesn't matter what anyone else did, or didn't do. It doesn't matter what someone else's OAR & GPA is/was. What matters is what YOU have, what YOU want, and how hard YOU are willing to work for it. Put 100% of everything you have into the submission & application process. If you don't make it, at least you can feel confident that you gave your best. Worrying about the Jones's is a fools errand though . . .

SirDataDetective

Thanks for the great answers, everyone! I'll certainly work on making sure my LORs are personal and reflective of my work experience and personality, and that my overall application speaks to my own unique story. :)

KeroK

I only requested LoRs from people who knew me well - friends, coworkers, volunteer contacts, things of that nature.

Are friends considered to be acceptable references for LORs? I ask because, in the corporate world, they are not. I'm also curious because my OR told me I should try to get at least two references from U.S. citizens currently living in the U.S. -- the vast majority of my contacts are abroad because I spent the last 10 years working overseas. Obviously those people would know (and remember) me much better than someone I last worked with and spoke to a decade ago. The only people in the U.S. who would be able to write informatively about me now are old friends.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Are friends considered to be acceptable references for LORs? I ask because, in the corporate world, they are not. I'm also curious because my OR told me I should try to get at least two references from U.S. citizens currently living in the U.S. -- the vast majority of my contacts are abroad because I spent the last 10 years working overseas. Obviously those people would know (and remember) me much better than someone I last worked with and spoke to a decade ago. The only people in the U.S. who would be able to write informatively about me now are old friends.

They should be coming from folks who know you PROFESSIONALLY.

KeroK

They should be coming from folks who know you PROFESSIONALLY.
Thank you for the clear answer, RUFiO. One more question, if I may: To your knowledge, does the origin of the reference -- overseas/foreign vs. domestic -- affect the way the board regards that LOR? Based on what my OR said, I got the impression that foreign references may be seen as less credible than U.S. references. If that's the case, I may be at a disadvantage. My foreign employers/co-workers can provide excellent, well-informed accounts of my recent work performance and professional accomplishments. My old U.S. employers from 10+ years ago would give hazy recollections, and have no idea of what I've been doing since leaving their companies.