• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

'Legacy' helo a career hurdle?

whalepelt

I'm a Navy guy about a month out from winging at South Whiting with a quick question about selection:

Is there any reason to think that going into one of the 'Legacy' -60 communities would be a career hurdle? I've gotten somewhat conflicting reports on the prospect. I've heard that the time spent in the transition makes it harder to stay 'on timeline' career-wise, but others have said that its really not worth worrying about.

Any transitioned HSL or HS guys have an opinion? Thanks

Rubiks06

pilot
Im not a legacy guy or a transition guy so i guess i cant speak to what its like. That being said i was finishing up the RAG and a "legacy" dude checked in from the "b" rag and was starting the "r" rag. So....my thought would be if you know you are going to want to transition why not just pick one of the new helos, save yourself the trouble of having to go through another RAG. Just my thoughts on it. Nothing against the F,H,B guys.
Career timeline. They talked about it at NHA this year and its a constant talk. All of our non dh guys that are transitions got a good deal "Super JO" tour. So instead of their disassociated tour they roll into a squadron and help stand it up. This most likely will not be the norm because there wont be too many brand new off the shelf squadrons. Your timing will also depend on which squadron you go to. Some are due to change sooner than others. Bottom line...pick what you want to pick. Timing will work out.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm a Navy guy about a month out from winging at South Whiting with a quick question about selection:

Is there any reason to think that going into one of the 'Legacy' -60 communities would be a career hurdle? I've gotten somewhat conflicting reports on the prospect. I've heard that the time spent in the transition makes it harder to stay 'on timeline' career-wise, but others have said that its really not worth worrying about.

Any transitioned HSL or HS guys have an opinion? Thanks

In a word, no.

If guys are changing series mid-tour, they're not doing it by themselves, so everyone is in the same boat. For example, HSL-44 is about to do this soon and they'll just start sending guys through the RAG, be it HACs or HACs to be.

Down the road, should you come back through the RAG as a CAT 3, it won't matter anyway. I wouldn't sweat it. Put what you want to fly down on the dream sheet and if you end up getting legacy either because you want it or "got" it, you'll be fine.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
A former 46 driver was a department head in my squadron (60F/H) and just got picked up for CO for my same squadron. I'm pretty sure he'll be the CO during the transition to the 60S so there's an anecdotal example for you of real old-school legacy guy doing well for himself.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

Could there be an issue; yes. Should there be an issue; no.

The problem could be if your squadron is due to transition when you have about a year left in the squadron. Once you get inside that year, it becomes a personnel managment issue since the squadron will start to look at who will be around for the next deployment (assuming you go Airwing HSC/HSM), so if you will not be around, then they may elect to roll you early vice transitioning you. It is possible (remote, but possible) that you could end up with a 'short EP' on your first tour if that timing really works against you.

If you end up at an expeditionary squadron, then you don't have to sweat it since deployments will occur more often for that squadron as compared to an Airwing squadron.

Usually squadrons will extend personnel to make sure they don't totally screw over a guy, so while it has happened, assuming you hit the ground running and do a good job, you can expect the front office to protect you by making sure you get an appropriate fitrep prior to departure.

Back when the HS guys went from H-3's to H-60's there weren't many issues and right now there is no stigma for the F/H guys going to the S. (Of course when we had to listen to the H-3 guys tell us how the Mighty Sea Pig won the cold war, it got a bit annoying...)

If you go HSM, then the B to R transition should 'painless' on your career. This was not always the case. Back when HSL went from H-2 to H-60B there was lots of blood on the floor from guys getting 'shot' when they were told as first tour JO's that they would NOT transition to the 60B. This basically limited their shore duty to the HT's (couldn't get FRS instructor orders if they were not 60B qual'd already) which made it tough to break out and get command. (Nothing against the HT meant by that statement. It's just that many guys who want RAG orders couldn't get them because their squadron didn't transition prior to their PRD)

So, don't sweat it, do your best and be the best officer and pilot you can be and your front office should look out for you if the squadron transitions at a time that is not exactly beneficial for your career timing.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
I've heard that the time spent in the transition makes it harder to stay 'on timeline' career-wise, but others have said that its really not worth worrying about.
Im an HSC Expeditionary guy, so I have transitioned and enjoyed it immensely, and staying on timeline isn't even vital until you check in for your DH ride, so dont sweat it.

Jason Young

H60Driver
No issues at all, I have been a carrier F/H driver my whole career and helped my last squadron transition to Sierra when I left for my Joint tour, Don't worry about transition worry about performance, Remember you can get fired from every ground job you get, but if you don't make HAC then your flying career is over!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you know how to post videos to Facebook?
batmanud.jpg