• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LAT XFER timing requirements

hhour

Questions: When can I apply for lateral xfer to FAO regarding the obligatory community service, and what is chance of a waiver if I need it? What is the chance of current community letting me go before dissociated sea tour?

Thanks for any info and advise!

Background:
Looking to go from 1310 to FAO. My winging commitment ends Nov 2016. I'm up for my next orders in Sep. 2015 (currently on my shore tour, next is dissociated sea tour). I think I'm competitive for FAO b/c I already have a Masters degree in international affairs. I'd like to do the 2015 April xfer board.

MILSPERSMAN 1212-010 says you cannot request lateral transfer from unrestricted line to RL until within 6 months ofcompletion of obligatory service in your community. (opnavinst 1210.5 says 1 year, not 6 months and is dated later).

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Call the detailer (on bupers) and ask. He's a good guy.

Signed,
1310 to 1710 Grad

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Zab, what's the Skinny on FAO in terms of duties. I've heard everything from it being like a permanent staff gig, to some cool, relatively independent embassy gigs. I presume it depends a lot on one's specialization.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've done both. The "sea - shore" translates to "overseas - conus.". Like most jobs, qol/satisfaction depends on your boss. I have been lucky, for sure.

To OP, chance of waiver is minimal. HUGE applicant pool of guys with Masters, language, full overseas tour.

navyboy4415

Reading the MILSPERSMAN 1212-010 how the hell could you even have the timing to go from a 1320 to 510x.

---An officer may not request transfer from the Unrestricted Line until within 6 months of completing obligatory service in the present community as a result of functional training received (training received that further enables an Unrestricted Line officer to perform their duties such as department head school

---Applicants must have completed at least 2 years of active commissioned service but not more than 3 years as a lieutenant by the convening date of the board. Applicants with less than 5 years commissioned service will be given primary consideration.

-Commission date Nov 2009
-Winged July 2011
-3 year LT time Nov 2016
-Obligatory service requirement expires July 2017

Even though I checked into my first aviation squadron as an Ensign I would not have the timing to attempt a lateral transfer. I guess lateral transfers are only for people who fail to wing, fail to qualify at their squadron or become medically disqualified. Does anyone know someone that has lateral transferred to CEC from aviation?

Pags

N/A
pilot
You also need to talk to your PERS-43 detailer about when your community will release your record to the lat xfer board. In my case, my record was released once I was within 1yr from my MSR despite several waiver attempts. Detailer finally told me via my XO that not to even bother with the waiver because it wasn't going to happen. Talk to your current detailer and your desired community detailer to see how the process works.

To navyboy4415, you need to be within 6mo of completion of your winging obligation. Certain communities don't want you if you're going to be to senior, basically they want to get good work out of you as a JO. Some of these timing requirements can make it hard if not impossible to transition from 13xx to a RL community unless you get FNAEBd or turn in your wings.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
This note is from the JUN13 LAT XFER LOI:
NOTE: Aviation (131X and 132X) officers will be allowed to apply for lateral transfer when the officer is within 12 months of completing active duty service obligation (ADSO) from winging or any obligated service as a result of aviation career continuation pay (ACCP). Aviation officers will not normally be permitted to lateral transfer or redesignate until completion of ADSO, expiration of ACCP contract, or planned rotation date (PRD), whichever is later. PERS 43 is the final approval authority on the above constraints.

The same note is in the draft for the next board. Additionally, each T/M/S manages their out-quotas by YG.