• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LASIK Now an Option

Crazy*Carl

After extensive review with my ophthalmologist, recruiter, and Naval Aerospace Medical Institute, I found out the Navy now allows civilian applicants to undergo LASIK. I attached a pdf information sheet I received.

I was selected in the Nov 2010 boards SNA and had LASIK done 2 weeks ago instead of PRK. The recovery was quite non existent. Few days of scratchy eyes and that was it. Now I can see 20/20.

My recruiter originally did not know LASIK was an option, but helped me look into it deeper to get the answer. I believe it is new that civilian applicants are being allowed to get a waiver with it.

View attachment Vision Screening Requirements for Accessions Enclosure 1 Fin[1].pdf

Pilot Paul

Pro Rec SNA
This makes me sad. I showed the exact same document to my surgeon AND my recruiter. But my recruiter was still convinced it had to be PRK so I went with it. I guess I should have pressed the issue further. Wish i saw this earlier. My PRK recov has been no bueno.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Carl - what was the application process like for the study protocol? I was looking at PRK/LASIK before I chose my designator, and my recruiter believed those studies were for those who are already serving.

Crazy*Carl

That's what mine thought too.
My ophthalmologist knew a Navy doctor and he contacted him. He told me LASIK was allowed so I asked my recruiter, who said PRK only initially. However he then got in contact with NAMI and did confirm that LASIK is now allowed for civilian applicants. LASIK used to be allowed only for current aviators, but it has changed now. I will have some additional testing for the new study and a waiver, but other than that its a similar process as PRK.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
I'd like to put out a warning to people looking into LASIK.

The Navy only allows a specific type. Research it before you permanently forfeit the opportunity of a lifetime.

Crazy*Carl

I'd like to put out a warning to people looking into LASIK.

The Navy only allows a specific type. Research it before you permanently forfeit the opportunity of a lifetime.

And what type do you think this is?

I quote from the document I posted:

"Wavefront-guided (e.g., VISX CustomVue, or equivalent) or wavefront-optimized and femtosecond keratome (e.g., IntraLase, or equivalent) LASIK procedure is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED as the LASIK treatment of choice in Naval Aviation"

Notice it says strongly encouraged. Most LASIK centers do use intralase and wavefront today. I think the doctors at NAMI would have told me if only a certain LASIK was required. If you think they only allow a certain type, do you have any documents that show this? Believe me. I have done my research, as I tried to show in my posts.

That being said, everyone should still get the ok front their recruiter. It just seems that most recruiters don't know it is an option yet. If anyone needs a reference for this, just send me a pm.

Here is another link I got from the NAMI doctor: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/nomi/nami/clinical/Pages/Ophthalmology.aspx

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Sorry, I was posting at 12am and I did not consider you would think I was posting at you. I am not challenging you at all. There just seems to be a pre-preponderance of applicants that want to go for LASIK and I only knew that certain types of LASIK were accepted from reading a medical document a while back. You definitely have more current info.

Crazy*Carl

@ Crazy Carl,

Is the waiver period still six months according to your recruiter?

PRK is a 3 month wait if your refraction is less than -6.00 and a 6 month wait if your between -6 and -8 diopters.

LASIK only says 3 months regardless of refractive error. It makes sense since the recovery is much quicker.

I am still waiting for my medical documents to get to my recruiter, but I hope it to be only 3 months.

shutout39

pilot
Just got off the phone with the Aviation Nurse in Newport (who by the way was a very nice woman), and she said its 6 months for PRK and LASIK. They are the ones who issue the waiver to NAMI and she said they won't even bother with that until 6 months post op. The document here that says minimum 3 months is kind of a tease. Has anyone heard of differently?

I am looking to have LASIK done second week of July and had my fingers crossed I was pro-rec'd in August so I could get Final Select within the 90 limit.