• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

LASIK for SNA?

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
I've heard conflicting information on this, so I figured I'd ask here: what's the gouge on LASIK for SNA applicants? I have heard that LASIK is now okay for SNA with a waiver, but that it is a particular kind of LASIK that is preferred.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Haven't talked to one specifically about that yet. I did find this Navy medical page, which linked to two other documents, one of which is dead, apparently.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/usnhguam/Patients/Documents/Refractive Surgery for Naval Aviation Personnel.docx

I don't know how recent this is or if it's still the case. I'll give my OR a call this week and check with him.

Do you know you need LASIK? I would talk with a recruiter first to see if you even need it. I've seen applicants in the past where they think they need LASIK, and end up passing the MEPS eye exam (just barely) and saving thousands having to pay out of pocket. If you need LASIK in your Naval career, it can be done for free on the Navy's dime.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Do you know you need LASIK? I would talk with a recruiter first to see if you even need it. I've seen applicants in the past where they think they need LASIK, and end up passing the MEPS eye exam (just barely) and saving thousands having to pay out of pocket. If you need LASIK in your Naval career, it can be done for free on the Navy's dime.

My uncorrected vision is 20/100, and I think the standard for SNA is 20/40. I'll talk to a recruiter, though.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
My uncorrected vision is 20/100, and I think the standard for SNA is 20/40. I'll talk to a recruiter, though.

Then yes you would need some form of corrective surgery. LASIK and PRK are both waiverable, but MEPS will not see you until 6 months post-op. I got it done and it was one of the best things I ever did (even if I did not end up going SNA), however be aware that it is a significant expense (~$5,000 for custom waveform-guided LASIK from a reputable surgeon). If you're serious about it get in touch with an OR and make sure you have all of your ducks in order before getting it done, and schedule a consultation with a surgeon. Look for someone with lots of experience and affiliated with a larger health or surgery system, as they will have access to the best equipment and training.

(even if I did not end up going SNA)
Hoya I thought you did end up passing the flight physical and going SNA?

But I can agree, I had PRK and its was the best decision I ever made. My eyes were -7 and -8 diopeters so it made a world of a difference. I haven't gone through the flight physical yet at OCS, but I did go through one for the Air Force and its pretty straight forward, glaucoma test, vision test, brightness acuity, slit lamp exam, depth perception. I imagine the Navy is very similar. Pass everything then you'll be DQ and get a waiver is my understanding.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
I should have worded that better, I meant that even if SNA hadn't worked out for me LASIK still would have been one of the best things I've done. But luckily it did so that makes the LASIK that much more worth it. :)

hdr777

pilot
I've seen applicants in the past where they think they need LASIK, and end up passing the MEPS eye exam (just barely)

This is something I'm concerned about, passing the vision test at MEPS, barely, but vision deteriorating, or just being exhausted when you do the NAMI physical and getting DQ'd, do you know if that is common or a valid concern/worry? I ask this as someone whose vision is barely above the cutoff, but so far I've decided to postpone/not have lasik, I'd rather not have an unnecessary procedure done.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
This is something I'm concerned about, passing the vision test at MEPS, barely, but vision deteriorating, or just being exhausted when you do the NAMI physical and getting DQ'd, do you know if that is common or a valid concern/worry? I ask this as someone whose vision is barely above the cutoff, but so far I've decided to postpone/not have lasik, I'd rather not have an unnecessary procedure done.

That's probably something to ask in the OCS thread.

koliver

It's a necessary operation if you want to be an aviator. I got the surgery and have loved it! Im going to MEPS this Friday and my recruiter said my lasik shouldn't be an issue.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Then yes you would need some form of corrective surgery. LASIK and PRK are both waiverable, but MEPS will not see you until 6 months post-op. I got it done and it was one of the best things I ever did (even if I did not end up going SNA), however be aware that it is a significant expense (~$5,000 for custom waveform-guided LASIK from a reputable surgeon). If you're serious about it get in touch with an OR and make sure you have all of your ducks in order before getting it done, and schedule a consultation with a surgeon. Look for someone with lots of experience and affiliated with a larger health or surgery system, as they will have access to the best equipment and training.

And the waivers, I imagine, will be available to me via my recruiter?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
And the waivers, I imagine, will be available to me via my recruiter?

Nope, there's nothing you need to fill out. You just have to give your recruiter all of the documentation from your pre-op workups, the actual surgery, and post-op checkups and he/she will submit it to MEPS for review.

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
Nope, there's nothing you need to fill out. You just have to give your recruiter all of the documentation from your pre-op workups, the actual surgery, and post-op checkups and he/she will submit it to MEPS for review.

So I have to get the waiver after I get the surgery? I was under the impression I needed to get the waiver before the surgery so as to not DQ me. How readily does MEPS grant the waivers?