• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just what IS a good score on the ASTB

What did you get on you most recent ASTB?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

elliottm2

Good Afternoon,

As July Boards are just a few weeks from convening, aside from work/life balance stuff, all of us who have applied now have nothing to do but PT, sit on our hands,memorize things that will be useful should we get in, and of course, spend far too much time agonizing over our application process.

I have seen an entire spread over scores of ASTB. What I want to know is: what, in your expert opinions and experiences, would you believe the AVERAGE astb score of a competitive candidate is?

I am fully aware that the ASTB is only one portion of the selection process, but as I consider re-taking it should I not get into this selection board, I would like to know what an average score is.
For example, is it a 50 on the OAR? Does a 60 put you in the top sixth of all who have taken the test?

I greatly appreciate the expertise and advice on these forums, and my own score, no doubt was a recipient for all of the great ASTB gouge available here.

Thanks again!

P.S. It is not my intention to create negative feelings, worry, or unnecessary competitiveness of any kind. If the nature of this post is deemed to be damaging, please contact me and I will take necessary steps to delete it.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So to answer your question in the title of the post precisely: It depends.

BTW, I think your poll is jacked up by not including the other scores (AQR, PFAR, FOFAR) or did you only want to discuss the OAR portion of the score?

elliottm2

So to answer your question in the title of the post precisely: It depends.

BTW, I think your poll is jacked up by not including the other scores (AQR, PFAR, FOFAR) or did you only want to discuss the OAR portion of the score?

I could include polls for the other three portions elsewhere; I didn't because not all NRD stations require you to take all portions of the exam if you are not interested in NA or NFO... I can post polls under separate posts if that would fix the problem.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have seen an entire spread over scores of ASTB. What I want to know is: what, in your expert opinions and experiences, would you believe the AVERAGE astb score of a competitive candidate is?
The problem with your question is that what scores are considered competitive, varies from board to board depending upon:
1. Slots available/applicant ratio
2. Additional package strength (GPA/major, LORs, leadership/volunteer experience, health/fitness, etc.).

From my experience, I would estimate 6 6 6 45 as barely competitive, up to 9 9 9 >7o as extremely competitive. The low end will vary somewhat from board to board. I expect other's estimates may vary.

Always remember... there is NO SUCH THING AS A LOCK, there are also many other things that could arise late in the process & screw up a 'prize' package i.e., unforeseen medical/health issues, security clearance snags, recent law enforcement run-ins, whatever...

*The hardest test of all, will be that of your patience after package submission!:(
P.S. It is not my intention to create negative feelings, worry, or unnecessary competitiveness of any kind. If the nature of this post is deemed to be damaging, please contact me and I will take necessary steps to delete it.
No problem here, as it's a reasonable query, and competitiveness is not a bad thing. No harm..no foul!:)
BzB

buzznuttz

Wings of angels keep me afloat
FYI- 5/6/6 with an OAR of 48 and I got a flight contract through the Marine Corps. There is a minimum for a reason and if you are "in range", then you qualify. Im sure GPA, class ratings, etc contribute but as far as the scores are concerned, it's either you qualify or you don't...I know others who have scored less and received a contract on the Navy side.

Gillie1985

Any good advice on the throttle and hearing part of the test? I know how the throttle works being a prior AM, but is there any other things i should look out for?

Pilot Wannabe

Don't sweat the shit man. I was like you and was super worried about scores. It doesn't matter man, honestly study hard on the math sections and the flight related sections. I am pretty decent at math and english, suck at physics and the mechanical comprehension, but not too bad at all of it. I think I did pretty good. I scored a 46 OAR 6,7,7. So it's definitely enough to be competitive. The advice I would have is to take it slow when it comes to the performance parts with the joy stick and throttle. Put the joystick between your legs as if you were actually going to fly it. I found it to feel more natural than to have both on the desk. People can say that 40's on the OAR aren't competitive but honestly those nerds can eat a fat one. Just crush the flight parts and you will be good as a pilot for selection. I also have other things going for me though so I am not relying solely on my scores. 4.0 GPA, not a hard degree, and I have prior military experience. Honestly bro, just be calm and don't sweat it. Study and and do your best. If you don't get it your first time don't worry man! You have two more chances! Just do your best and don't let fear stop you, or get wrapped up in OAR Bull shit.

Lol, well I just kinda realized that this was a little too late, you are probably already done with flight school, but I typed too much to delete this all. For anyone else who is worried about the test just keep in mind what I wrote. Don't sweat it, stay calm, do your best, and if you sucked the first time study some more and you will get it your second time. If you happen to suck that much make sure you do everything to be prepared for your final time! GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!! I hope you all get into flight school!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Don't sweat the shit man. I was like you and was super worried about scores. It doesn't matter man, honestly study hard on the math sections and the flight related sections. I am pretty decent at math and english, suck at physics and the mechanical comprehension, but not too bad at all of it. I think I did pretty good. I scored a 46 OAR 6,7,7. So it's definitely enough to be competitive. The advice I would have is to take it slow when it comes to the performance parts with the joy stick and throttle. Put the joystick between your legs as if you were actually going to fly it. I found it to feel more natural than to have both on the desk. People can say that 40's on the OAR aren't competitive but honestly those nerds can eat a fat one. Just crush the flight parts and you will be good as a pilot for selection. I also have other things going for me though so I am not relying solely on my scores. 4.0 GPA, not a hard degree, and I have prior military experience. Honestly bro, just be calm and don't sweat it. Study and and do your best. If you don't get it your first time don't worry man! You have two more chances! Just do your best and don't let fear stop you, or get wrapped up in OAR Bull shit.

Lol, well I just kinda realized that this was a little too late, you are probably already done with flight school, but I typed too much to delete this all. For anyone else who is worried about the test just keep in mind what I wrote. Don't sweat it, stay calm, do your best, and if you sucked the first time study some more and you will get it your second time. If you happen to suck that much make sure you do everything to be prepared for your final time! GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!! I hope you all get into flight school!

The dead horse has been beaten here - ASTB is key. They really don't look at your degree, GPA, prior service information.