• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Just got PRK done today

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Prospective SNA bro' here. Just got PRK surgery done this morning. What an amazing process. I will start a log of the process daily. Day zero has been pretty awesome. I walked out of the office seeing better than I could see when I had my glasses off. Only minimal discomfort. Doctor even gave me 20 vicodin lol. I'm anticipating that tomorrow and then ext day will be a little more discomforting. My vision is a bit blurry but not bad at all. Lights tend to irritate.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Day one of post-operation was a little irritating, but altogether it isn't that bad. Light is very intense and my eyes are dry and itchy. Doctor tested my vision and I could see 20/20. Of course there is still lots of healing to be done. I'm really looking forward to Wednesday when I'll get the lenses removed. If any of you live around the central Florida area and are looking for a doctor, I would highly recommend that you check out Dr. O'Brien, who is located in Vero Beach. He has a lot of experience with young people who are getting PRK for military service. I was actually referred to him by my optometrist, whose son got PRK in order to fly for the Navy and is now flying jets.

edt957

Pro-rec SNA
Dont get worried if your vision starts to get worse after around a week or so. I guess thats part of the process as your eyes heal inwards towards the center. I had it done three months ago and I can see better than I did with contacts.

TheBirdy

pilot
Hey man, just got PRK done 2 days ago. Our first day experiences seem very similar. Except my doctor didn't give me 20 vicodin haha. Can't wait to get the protective contacts out of my eyes, they're so irritating even though they're protecting my corneas. I've been walking around with shades all day because my eyes are very sensitive to light. Fellow Gator by any chance?

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Dont get worried if your vision starts to get worse after around a week or so. I guess thats part of the process as your eyes heal inwards towards the center. I had it done three months ago and I can see better than I did with contacts.

It's been about a week and three days since the surgery. I woke up this morning and noticed that my vision wasn't as clear. I'm glad that you posted that because I was getting upset.

Hey man, just got PRK done 2 days ago. Our first day experiences seem very similar. Except my doctor didn't give me 20 vicodin haha. Can't wait to get the protective contacts out of my eyes, they're so irritating even though they're protecting my corneas. I've been walking around with shades all day because my eyes are very sensitive to light. Fellow Gator by any chance?

Hell yeah man I'm a gator. English major. About to graduate here next June. Are you NROTC, or OCS?

That just made my day.

Good luck with the healing process, as well as getting designated 1390.

Hahaha. Many wasted hours of being on 4chan has altered the way I talk about things.

Altogether I'd say that the process was a breeze. I never really had any serious discomfort except for one day three post-surgery. My eyes were very watery and sensitive to everything. The contacts didn't really bother me at all and I didn't even feel different after I had them removed. We'll see how it goes over the coming months, but next obstacle is the ASTB!

TheBirdy

pilot
Hell yeah man I'm a gator. English major. About to graduate here next June. Are you NROTC, or OCS?

Haha Go Gators! I'm a junior at UF, trying to finish up by 2012 and hopefully get picked up for SNA and an OCS class date. If you need any help with the ASTB, PM me. I have all of my study guides in Gainesville.

Almost a week post op and my vision got blurry, which is kinda annoying, but it will eventually stabilize in a few months. Good news is I don't have light sensitivity anymore :D

Good luck.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Did you have an increased halo effect around lighting at night? When I drive around it seems like traffic lights and street lights are pretty obnoxious. It seems to be decreasing somewhat though. Have you already taken the ASTB? I've been using atrickpay's study guide and I'm about to get the Gleam Private Pilot manual as well. Would you recommend anything else?

TheBirdy

pilot
Did you have an increased halo effect around lighting at night? When I drive around it seems like traffic lights and street lights are pretty obnoxious. It seems to be decreasing somewhat though. Have you already taken the ASTB? I've been using atrickpay's study guide and I'm about to get the Gleam Private Pilot manual as well. Would you recommend anything else?

Yeah for the past 2 days or so I've been getting the same obnoxious halo affect from street lights at night. It's still the early stages of the healing process so give your eyes time to adjust. By any chance do you know what is needed for the PRK Waiver?

As for the ASTB, I took it back in July and scored 7/7/7 58. Here is one of my old post with all the stuff I used:
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/sh...B-study-guides?p=655088&highlight=#post655088

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
I don't really know anything about the waiver process yet. I'm waiting until after the holiday break so I can back in touch with my OSO and figure it out. What is your college major? And how much did you study for the test?

TheBirdy

pilot
I don't really know anything about the waiver process yet. I'm waiting until after the holiday break so I can back in touch with my OSO and figure it out. What is your college major? And how much did you study for the test?

Oh ok, gotcha. Yeah, all I know so far is that you need the operative report (I'm not sure what that is..) from your doc. Are you still getting halos? Mine stopped today, I had a good improvement of the blurriness going away. I get my contacts out on Wednesday. Is there a noticeable difference when you get the contacts out?
I'm currently an economics major, but I'm probably switching out. I've been going through majors because I can't stay on track for them (aka not doing well in the critical tracking classes). It's my biggest con right now for my application. I'm gonna try and switch into criminology and law (hopefully CLAS will let me in) and work my ass off to graduate on time, otherwise I can't go for DA SNA in Spring '11. I spent about 4 weeks studying. I just carried all my study guides wherever I went and when I got free time, studied as much as possible. A week before my test I took a practice one in the ARCO book to gauge how well I did under the time constraints. Are you going the USMC route, or USN?

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
I honestly didn't even really feel the contacts when they were in so getting them out didn't really make a difference to me. I still see halos when I'm driving at night but I'm not really sure what's the norm. I guess I've always seen a bit of halos to an extent. I'm worrying that this will affect my process and wonder how they will test for it. My first choice was USMC but the OSO is saying that they don't really have any pilot slots right no. USN is who I'm currently working with. Hopefully by the time I graduate and am eligible for the waiver there will be more opportunities with other branches.

TheBirdy

pilot
Oh alright. Fly Navy! And about the halos, they should go away in a month or so from what I have heard from previous people who had PRK done. A little less than 2 weeks post op, I had the contacts removed. My right eye had a nice improvement in vision (compared to my pre op state). My left eye I am a little scared about. Doc took a look at it and said its taking a while to heal, my vision is very blurry in my left and I also have astigmatism in my left eye. So I'm guessing he had to do more work on it, so it's taking longer to heal.

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
Hey by the way: I was looking at the thread where you posted the stuff that you studied. What exactly are you talking about when you say the 'mechanical gouge'? Are you talking about Atrickpay's mechanical section?

Beefalo

How long do you have to wait from your first pre-op appointment to surgery day? Is it just one pre-op appointment then a week later you come in for surgery? Im assuming you have to get the surgery somewhere close to where you live since you have so many follow up appointments?