• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Just got off the phone with a Navy Officer Recruiter

nathan john

First post cheery popped, so hope I'm doing this right. Anyways, on with my topic.
By the way be brutal with me gentlemen, and ladies, and hit me in the truth feels please.

Here it goes, so I just got off the phone with a Navy Officer Recruiter... closest officer recruiter was ~100 miles away otherwise it would have been a in-person visit. He was very interested in me until I mentioned my GPA... and then me age.

Here is my info,

College: University of Missouri - Columbia, MO
Degree: B.S. Mechanical Engineering, minor in Aerospace Engineering
GPA: 2.5

Mentioned my degree; he was stoked. Mentioned my age; his tone of voice changed. Mentioned my GPA; seemed like he lost all interested in me

He mentioned how schools have different level grades or something like that and how GPA's from different grades come into play, and Mizzou was a grade 1 ... I think? Then he gave me a speech about being honest and all that good stuff, loyalty, how he has served 27 years, etc, etc and then told me he has never seen anyone in his 2 years of recruiting get into the OCS program with below a 3.0, regardless of their degree.

Then he proceeded to push me towards enlisting rather than even attempting to get into to OCS and how with my engineering background I could enlist into the Nuclear program and they are offering a $15,000 sign on bonus and how the Navy has the highest rate of any military of pulling people from enlisting to officers and after Nuclear program training I could reenlist or something like that and they are currently offering a $90,000 sign on bonus for that, and how because I have a degree I would come out as an E4 or E5 or something like that, etc, etc.

He gave me more information on enlisting, than OCS and it kind of frustrated me, but I took it because maybe it is the truth and I didn't want to hear it, but now I'm here.

I also mentioned because of my minor in aerospace engineering I was interested in the NFO positions and asked my odds on actually making that and if I was qualified and he told me the age cut-off for that was 27 years of age (remember I'm 29) but I could not find that on the Navy Officer pages anywhere.

Is this normal recruiting and is what he said true; mainly the part about not being eligible with my 2.5 GPA and how the board won't even consider me with a GPA below 3.0, and should I not even try to even apply to Navy OCS?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
You can't apply because you're not eligible for anything. Age cut off for Pilot/NFO (without prior military service) is 27, NO EXCEPTIONS. All other programs, like SWO and SUPPLY require a 2.8 GPA and once again age cut off is 29 and that too is a NO GO because you have to commission before turning 29. Everything else, like CEC (max age 35) and INTEL (max age 42) require a 2.8 min GPA but ideally looking for GPAs around 3.3 and 3.5+ respectively.

Unless you had some extenuating circumstances, you should have focused more and done better in school.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Concur with all of Rufio's information.

If joining the Navy as an officer is your lifelong goal - and you need to look inward to answer that question - you can maybe make it happen 3-10 years from now...

Here's how: essentially, you would have to start today on earning a master's degree in engineering and maintaining a 3.8 or higher GPA throughout your graduate degree. Your graduate credits kind of weigh 1/4 as much as your undergrad credits, so you will need to maintain a super high GPA in grad school to even begin to balance out your undergrad GPA. Also seek out civilian engineering jobs (ideally, holding supervisory positions and working in the aerospace or maritime industry). Then, after you are 66-100% done with your master's degree, apply for DIRCOM as an EDO, AEDO, or AMDO prior to the age cutoff (I think it's age 42 for 1515/1525, but check with an OR). LT Rich Santos, an OR who occasionally posts on this website, sometimes advertises for EDO/AEDO/AMDO DIRCOM applicants.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Concur with all of Rufio's information.

If joining the Navy as an officer is your lifelong goal - and you need to look inward to answer that question - you can maybe make it happen 3-10 years from now by starting today on earning a master's degree in engineering and maintaining a 3.8 or higher GPA throughout your graduate degree. Also seek out civilian engineering jobs (ideally, holding supervisory positions and working in the aerospace or maritime industry). Then, after you are 66-100% done with your master's degree, apply for DIRCOM as an EDO, AEDO, or AMDO prior to the age cutoff (I think it's age 42 for 1515/1525, but check with an OR). LT Rich Santos is an OR who occasionally posts on this website sometimes advertises for EDO/AEDO/AMDO DIRCOM applicants.

Many DCO programs, to include AMDO/AEDO have 2.8 min GPA requirements. Even if he does get a masters I don't think even with straight As that he can get over the 2.8 hump. Even so, it will be a very steep uphill slope getting selected.

loch

OCS Re-applicant
Agree with all the above in terms of applying so long as you meet age requirements. That also means getting high OAR and PFA scores.

If you feel that that recruiter will not work with you, feel free to call the recruiter's headquarters in your area and ask for another recruiter. Of course, be confident in what you can bring to the Navy. That's what they want to see above anything...your perseverance and drive.

Also, to introduce another idea, you can get your Master's in Engineering, build your work experience, then apply to be a Reserve Officer.

Lastly, if you truly just want to serve, then you should think long and hard about going in as Enlisted after enough rejections to OCS.

If this is just Plan D, they will sniff you out. Good luck.

exNavyOffRec

That's what they want to see above anything...your perseverance and drive.

The board doesn't give two shits about perseverance, it is about best qualified, best qualified differs depending on the designator (aviation is ASTB, Supply is GPA and Degree, etc...)

RUFIO already said he can't apply since he isn't eligible for anything because he is either over the age limit, or under the GPA min.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
But if you want to serve, Nukes make a shit ton of money and if it ain't about the money, Aircrew get all the chicks and flight time.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Agree with all the above in terms of applying so long as you meet age requirements. That also means getting high OAR and PFA scores.

If you feel that that recruiter will not work with you, feel free to call the recruiter's headquarters in your area and ask for another recruiter. Of course, be confident in what you can bring to the Navy. That's what they want to see above anything...your perseverance and drive.

Also, to introduce another idea, you can get your Master's in Engineering, build your work experience, then apply to be a Reserve Officer.

Lastly, if you truly just want to serve, then you should think long and hard about going in as Enlisted after enough rejections to OCS.

He is not

This is as bad of information as they come. What is continuously calling an OR going to do to help the cause? He isn't qualified for anything and an OR is likely more focused and getting folks who are across the finish line.

loch

OCS Re-applicant
Yes I said if he is qualified. Which I wasn't claiming I could confirm. That's all I meant, but if it's better I retract my encouragement, then I'll retract it. If you're not qualified, of course go for something you are qualified for. Apologies for replying at all I suppose....