• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

John McCain Passes Away

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I got to meet him at KTLH after we came back from lunch. Once he saw our flight suits and saw we were Navy, he wanted to talk Naval Aviation. He was very willing to spend time with us even with his jet waiting for him. Even after he was back in his plane and started to taxi away, he still waved at us as we were strapping in. You could tell he really enjoyed the fraternity.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I still recall the story of the LT McCain dating one of the dancers/hostesses at Trader Johns. My kind of guy. Fair Winds indeed.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
John Donne
Meditation 17
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
For the uninitiated, including me (#millennials): http://pulsegulfcoast.com/2016/10/trader-jons-brought-back-life-new-exhibit-downtown-pensacola

Now what's this story about dancers??

And it was an ENS McCain, during his time in Primary..

"At some point during my time at flight school, I had begun dating a local girl whom I had met at Trader John's. She made her living there, under the name Marie, The Flame of Florida. She was a remarkably attractive girl with a great sense of humor, and I was quite taken with her. Since her work kept her busy on Friday and Saturday nights, our dates occurred on Sunday evenings when the bar was closed.

Most Sundays we went to the movies and had a nice dinner afterward. One Sunday, however, on our way downtown (Pensacola) we passed Walt Ryan's house where I recognized the cars of several other married friends. I impulsively decided to pull over and join the party uninvited, telling Marie that I wanted to introduce her to some of my friends. Always the good sport, Marie agreed to my suggestion.

Most of my friends' wives were from privileged families and had been educated at distinguished Eastern schools. Marie, The Flame of Florida, had a more interesting biography, more in a "graduated from the school of hard knocks" genre. The young wives she was about to meet would be decorously attired and unfailingly genteel. Marie was dressed somewhat flamboyantly that evening, as was her custom.

Walt and Sarah greeted our surprise visit with their usual graciousness, inviting us in without too much hesitation, offering us drinks, and introducing us to the six or so other couples gathered in their home. After introductions and a few inane pleasantries were exchanged, the conversation seemed to become a little awkward, at times lapsing into long silences.

Marie sensed that the young wives, while certainly not rude to her, were less than entirely at ease in her presence. So she sat silent not wishing to impose on anyone or intrude in the conversations going on around her. After a while she must have become a little bored. So, quietly, she reached into her purse, withdrew a switchblade, popped open the blade, and, with a look of complete indifference, began to clean her fingernails.

My startled hosts and their guests stared at her with looks that ranged between disbelief and alarm. Marie seemed not to notice, and concentrated on her task. A short time later, recognizing that our presence had perhaps subdued the party, I thanked our hosts for their hospitality, bid good-bye to the others, and took my worldly, lovely FLAME of Florida to dinner."