• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

JOApply-what am I supposed to do?

OSUrower

So pretty new direct commission officer in the reserve here. Just started drilling at the start of April.

So what do I need to know about JOApply? My training officer hasn't said too much other than sending me a PDF with some user info on RFMT and just told me today to fill out a dream sheet for billets since they were due soon according to application calendar (there were only 2 billets available for my subspecialty and both were close to 500 mi away). Not really sure what I'm doing. I'm in IAP status right now and head to DCOIC in September. I went ahead and put the two billets down. I think that they were cross assigned ones if that helps.

jagM3

So pretty new direct commission officer in the reserve here. Just started drilling at the start of April.

So what do I need to know about JOApply? My training officer hasn't said too much other than sending me a PDF with some user info on RFMT and just told me today to fill out a dream sheet for billets since they were due soon according to application calendar (there were only 2 billets available for my subspecialty and both were close to 500 mi away). Not really sure what I'm doing. I'm in IAP status right now and head to DCOIC in September. I went ahead and put the two billets down. I think that they were cross assigned ones if that helps.
What's your designator and are you PQS qualified? If you are not PQS qualified, you can be direct assigned to a unit by the OIC at your Region/NOSC and won't use JOAPPLY until you have the MAS code removed that you are no longer in a "training status." Knowing your designator is very important, because different communities have different requirements for when you transition to a normal unit, etc. For example, if you are an 1835, your first training requirement after DCOIC will be attending the new NIOBC Phase 1 course for 26 days at IWTC Virginia Beach, and you won't join a unit until completing Phase 1.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
It's pretty easy for medical officers to be cross-assigned with their local medical unit. BUMED normally approves this as a matter of policy. It's a whole lot more convenient when your actual billet is far away; you'll just have to do something called a "TRUIC change" and the best way for you to figure out how to do that is to ask the other officers. That or meet your training officer halfway by trying to figure out some of it yourself, then ask him or her to help you with the rest.

All this stuff will gradually make more sense once you've gone to knife and fork school. Meantime there is also something called the DCO handbook. Google it, it's easy to find- it's about a hundred page PDF that is full of good gouge. Last but not least, you're actually supposed to have an officially designated DCO sponsor at your local NOSC for these simple "there's no such thing as a stupid question" questions. ;)

OSUrower

Yeah my first drill was kind of a mess. The first day was indoc. The second day had the CNR stop by the NOSC.

I met some of the the officers in my detachment (like the OIC and the former TO). My POC in getting on board has been helpful, but he doesn't always reply in a quick manner. I forget where the TO was but the AOIC was on ADT orders and gone.

I think that the NOSC's XO is the DCO sponsor, but he is leaving next week. I reached out about getting DCO orders and found that out. He referred me to the CO as my POC until his replacement comes on board.

Anyway, I take it that it shouldn't be this uh convoluted?

OSUrower

I was told that they have one in mind for me. We had the Det-HQ liaison visiting my EMF last drill too. So things were kinda a mess when I went.

Goodfou

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Welcome to the Reserves.... Once you find an operational unit your experience will smooth out a bit. That being said, you must find an experienced 1835 to help guide you through this process and direct you to the best unit for your circumstances. You may be able to contact the community manager (http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/communitymanagers/reserve/selres/Pages/RC (IDC).aspx) and ask him/her if there is a LT/LCDR in your area that you can contact.

The member said he's a 2305 designator. He ought to find a Senior Reserve MSC Officer to help out if possible.

OSUrower

The member said he's a 2305 designator. He ought to find a Senior Reserve MSC Officer to help out if possible.
Doing this right now. My first POC in the unit directed me to a LCDR in our unit that is MSC (I don't have a master contact list yet so until then it's a lot of extra work to track folks down lol). The TO said to go ahead and apply once she got in contact with me a little bit ago.