• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

IW officer ....

I just got an email from my recruiter after looking at my transcripts and said that i am not qualified to be an officer because of my 2.52 GPA.... i Graduated from Indiana University with a degree in Informatics and Computing....I feel that although my GPA isnt strong, I am still qualified to be an IW officer.... is there anything i could/should do?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I've got some ideas:

1) Go to another recruiter
2) Do something else beside IW
3) Continue school (Master's degree)
4) Get a job and try later

Bottom line is it doesn't matter what you think is good enough, if your recruiter isn't sellin', you can't buy. Good luck.

~d

BackOrdered

Contributor
The GPA communicates that you would have a tough time working with computers despite the degree. Why the difficulty?

exNavyOffRec

I just got an email from my recruiter after looking at my transcripts and said that i am not qualified to be an officer because of my 2.52 GPA.... i Graduated from Indiana University with a degree in Informatics and Computing....I feel that although my GPA isnt strong, I am still qualified to be an IW officer.... is there anything i could/should do?

A few things, IW is closed currently until FY14, IW now requires a year of calc and physics with no less than C+ in any class, I have seen several with very high GPA's not get picked up, and your GPA is just a fraction over the minimum for several programs, even when SWO was wide open I didn't see anyone with a GPA that low picked up.

I've got some ideas:

1) Go to another recruiter
2) Do something else beside IW
3) Continue school (Master's degree)
4) Get a job and try later

Bottom line is it doesn't matter what you think is good enough, if your recruiter isn't sellin', you can't buy. Good luck.

~d
1) I think this is the highest officer recruiter i can go to in my area
2) my options are now limited to enlisted positions
3) Not going to happen
4) I have a huge hard on to get become an officer so unless this job pays ridiculously awesome....im going to pursue the military...

I am currently in talks with the marines and the process is smooth... i just had a security clearance interview and i should know within a few weeks whether or not i get clearance to become an officer....The Marines are pushing me towards NFO position....which sounds great but i dont know too much about it.....ill keep you guys posted....

The GPA communicates that you would have a tough time working with computers despite the degree. Why the difficulty?

I transferred to IU from a community college and the academic tempo was that of something i never experienced. my first year was hard and my GPA suffered, but i had a positive self concept and a supporting family which helped me persevere. I also felt that GPA really didnt matter as much once you have a degree. Turns out GPA is everything starting out .....but whatever if there is a will there is a way i feel if i want to be a Info Warfare officer ....i have to go crypto than commission..... which leads me to my question..... how difficult is it to commission as an officer once enlisted...?

BackOrdered

Contributor
I transferred to IU from a community college and the academic tempo was that of something i never experienced. my first year was hard and my GPA suffered, but i had a positive self concept and a supporting family which helped me persevere. I also felt that GPA really didnt matter as much once you have a degree. Turns out GPA is everything starting out .....but whatever if there is a will there is a way i feel if i want to be a Info Warfare officer ....i have to go crypto than commission..... which leads me to my question..... how difficult is it to commission as an officer once enlisted...?

Enlisting and obtaining a commission in the Navy is just about the hardest thing you can do, nowadays more than ever. The rule of thumb is to enlist with the goal of being enlisted. I help prepare STA-21 packages and the biggest challenge I see is chain of command approval and the interviews, as everything plays a role leading to it. This site's members often give too little credit for the difficulty of that process. The CoC will hold everything in your transcript accountble for questioning and if a Senior Officer thinks you aren't officer material during an interview, they will tell you...

exNavyOffRec

In addition to what tiz84 said, your GPA if you apply as enlisted is still going to be viewed as it was when you were civilian, being enlisted doesn't make it disappear, they very well may tip to the enlisted person if the competition is close between a few individuals.

afwx

Booyahkah
Good afternoon. I have been a lurker, this is my first post. How set in stone is that Calc/Physics requirement? Reason being is I have less than a year until I'm done with my degree, B.S. in CIS from Florida Institute of Technology w/ a 3.53 GPA (still rising however), and only have a semester in physics. The math I have is 1 semester of discrete math, statistics, college algebra, and a year of accounting. Calc wasn't a requirement and it is too late for me to go back and take it. I'm currently an active duty E-5 with 8+ years TIS. Will/is there a way around that requirement or is that it? My OR didn't mention this and said I am incredibly competitive for SWO and IW but if this new requirement is set in stone then it looks like IW is out of the question for me. Thanks in advance.

exNavyOffRec

Good afternoon. I have been a lurker, this is my first post. How set in stone is that Calc/Physics requirement? Reason being is I have less than a year until I'm done with my degree, B.S. in CIS from Florida Institute of Technology w/ a 3.53 GPA (still rising however), and only have a semester in physics. The math I have is 1 semester of discrete math, statistics, college algebra, and a year of accounting. Calc wasn't a requirement and it is too late for me to go back and take it. I'm currently an active duty E-5 with 8+ years TIS. Will/is there a way around that requirement or is that it? My OR didn't mention this and said I am incredibly competitive for SWO and IW but if this new requirement is set in stone then it looks like IW is out of the question for me. Thanks in advance.

If you are active duty (USN) you can't work with an officer recruiter, we are strictly prohibited from submitting applications on AD USN.

I have seen prior enlisted that were CT's get accepted without it.

The board feedback in the past listed not having a year of calculus and calculus based physics as a "significant negative factor"

Of course IW is currently closed for FY13.

afwx

Booyahkah
Thank you for the reply NavyOffRec. I am not active USN. I am active USAF and am a meteorologist. I have TONS of science (atmosheric) from tech school and an A.S. in Weather Technology, but no calculus. My plan required discrete math since it goes more hand in hand with programming languages like C and C++. I have a semester of physics, and a lot of physics based atmospheric/ocean science courses but I'm not sure that would fit the bill. I will still try though, the worst I can be told is "no try again later" and work on a M/S. in IT. Last time I talked to my OR, he said I was going up in January 2013 for boards because I will be close to my BS degree completion, so I'm not even looking realistically until FY 2014 for anything at the earliest.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the reply NavyOffRec. I am not active USN. I am active USAF and am a meteorologist. I have TONS of science (atmosheric) from tech school and an A.S. in Weather Technology, but no calculus. My plan required discrete math since it goes more hand in hand with programming languages like C and C++. I have a semester of physics, and a lot of physics based atmospheric/ocean science courses but I'm not sure that would fit the bill. I will still try though, the worst I can be told is "no try again later" and work on a M/S. in IT. Last time I talked to my OR, he said I was going up in January 2013 for boards because I will be close to my BS degree completion, so I'm not even looking realistically until FY 2014 for anything at the earliest.

Given your background I would try, but there has to be spots available for you to apply, and currently there aren't any.

Renegade One

None
2) my options are now limited to enlisted positions
3) Not going to happen
TOTALLY UNDERSTAND..."OH, THE HUMANITY!!!"
I have a huge hard on to get become an officer so unless this job pays ridiculously awesome....im going to pursue the military....
Do you have any regard for us? If so...take the big bucks...even if it doesn't pay "ridiculously awesome". I refuse to speak in terms of "huge hard ons"...but you may not be what military aviation is looking for.
"Got Options?" TAKE 'EM! Be happy!
I am currently in talks with the marines and the process is smooth... i just had a security clearance interview and i should know within a few weeks whether or not i get clearance to become an officer....
God Bless The Marine Corps...And All Who Serve... SEMPER FI!
The Marines are pushing me towards NFO position....which sounds great but i dont know too much about it.....ill keep you guys posted....
Please do! Be Warned: NFO totally sucks...you can never, EVER, rise beyond four-star rank. Why would a person like you DO that??