• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is This Woman Entitled to Wear this Uniform?

Status
Not open for further replies.
upload_2017-4-25_12-46-7.png

I know you ladies and gentlemen discuss important pilot-y things on here so I want to fully disclose that I’m just a wife. I *think* someone who is not entitled to wear a flight suit may be wearing one in her professional photos but I don’t want to ask anyone I know “in real life” about it because, to be honest, I don’t want to come off as petty.

Here’s some background. This woman was an intelligence officer in the Navy for 13 or so years. She is no longer in the military and teaches at a major university. This photo is on the University’s website. All of the other “military liaisons” pictured used photos either in civilian clothes or in their proper uniforms.

This same picture was a huge part of her political campaign last summer when she was briefly running for the House of Representatives in Florida, making her military service the center of her campaign.

My question is, does it appear that she’s trying to present herself as having been a pilot when she was not one? It just seems odd that, with 13 years worth of photos of her wearing her proper uniform, this is the one she keeps showing to the world. Or is a flight suit something Intelligence Officers occasionally have a reason to wear? I was thinking that she wanted to look like a cool pilot so she got her husband’s flight suit and took off all his insignia and decided that this is now that’s her “official Navy picture”. After all, most civilians see a flight suit and automatically think, "Oooh, it's the female equivalent of Maverick!". Or maybe she’s being completely aboveboard and has a right to wear everything she’s wearing. I just wanted to get your opinions.

Thank you so much for your help! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Last edited:

robav8r

None
Contributor
Intelligence Officers (and many other designators other than pilot) can wear a flight suit in the performance of their duties. I know many Intel O's that qualified as Naval Aviation Observers (NAO) and flew quite often. Don't confuse wearing a flight suit with being a pilot.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are asking if it is 'Stolen Valor', it is not. AIO's often wore flight suits in my squadrons and it wasn't a big deal, everyone knew they weren't an aviator and it was obvious to anyone outside the squadron as well since they didn't have wings.

Is it 'appropriate' though? That is a judgment call but it definitely gives an impression that isn't entirely correct, that she was an aviator, to anyone who doesn't know any better which would be 99% or more of people who would look at the photo. I think it says something about their own judgement though.

All that said though it isn't new or unusual for a politician to do this, one recently former Senator who was a Navy intel officer attached to a squadron did the exact same thing (pictures in a flight suit and also in a flight jacket) along with a few other minor exaggerations WRT to his service. And then there is every Fobbit/REMF who ever sent home a photo of themselves all geared up posing with the most fearsome weapon they could find.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I give her props for wearing surplus paraloft gear. Our own stuff usually contains way too much suspect DNA...

Those gloves she's got look like they are for Andre the Giant. :D

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
It also looks like she is in some sort of aircraft. Why wouldn't you wear a flight suit in an aircraft?

Is it 'appropriate' though? That is a judgment call but it definitely gives an impression that isn't entirely correct, that she was an aviator, to anyone who doesn't know any better which would be 99% or more of people who would look at the photo. I think it says something about their own judgement though.

All that said though it isn't new or unusual for a politician to do this, one recently former Senator who was a Navy intel officer attached to a squadron did the exact same thing (pictures in a flight suit and also in a flight jacket) along with a few other minor exaggerations WRT to his service. (That is hilarious! Which Senator is this?) And then there is every Fobbit/REMF who ever sent home a photo of themselves all geared up posing with the most fearsome weapon they could find.

Thank you, Flash. You know, I couldn't exactly get why it was bothering so much and I think you hit it on the head. She was attached to the Seabees long ago; never to a squadron. But I guess she didn't think whatever it is Seabees wear made for a good photo op. I mean, I know the Navy is big on taking pictures of its members. My mom has an entire wall of my brother through the years. So I couldn't believe she couldn't find a photo of herself wearing a normal uniform

HAL: (I'm sorry; couldn't figure out the multi-quote system) Her husband flies an MH-60R. I figured he was like, "Here, take my flight suit; wait, let me take off all the patches. And roll up the sleeves. Sorry the gloves are so big. Lemme take a picture of you in my bird. The public is gonna love this!" I could definitely see him doing that. But I could be totally off track and I thank you for bring up that possibility!

BRETT327: (Again, sorry about the multi-quotes) Fair enough question! I had wondered if this was a petty question which is why I didn't ask anyone I know in real life. I've known a long time and I've always known her to have a tempestuous relationship with the truth . But my feelings about her aside, I feel like she is coming across as dishonest or at the very least disingenuous. If she was an intel type, why doesn't she proudly present herself as one? Thank you for responding by the way, I appreciate it.

LadyAsh, yes I did see, thank you! That is something I didn't realize. Now, I'll admit that I don't always pay attention to minutiae, but shouldn't it have some patches on it if she's using it legitimately?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Sounds like you've got a bone to pick with Julia Fletcher and are hoping we'll provide you with some stolen valor ammo.

Python

pilot
Contributor
LadyAsh, yes I did see, thank you! That is something I didn't realize. Now, I'll admit that I don't always pay attention to minutiae, but shouldn't it have some patches on it if she's using it legitimately?

There is no reason you should care about her doing that this much. It isn't a big deal that she's wearing that or took that photo. It's almost like your posts are from a script of Desperate Housewives.

This photo is nothing to you and your life.

You all have been so helpful, thank you for taking the time to engage me. I hope that I'm not coming off as bat-poo crazy! I promise that I'm a contributing member of society :)
Yes, it bothers me that this woman seems to be trying to portray herself as something she isn't. But if the folks who wear the uniform aren't bothered by it, I guess there's no reason I should be. When I made my first post, in my head I was roughly comparing it to my black belt. If some karate newbie wants to tie a black belt around their gi and walk around like they earned it, it would pi$$ me off because I worked my butt off to wear that belt. From what I'd seen of military culture, that same thinking seems to be prevalent. But I don't technically have a dog in this fight, so if it's fine with y'all it's fine with me!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That is hilarious! Which Senator is this?

Mark Kirk, he retired as a CDR from the USNR and had been the AIO for VAQ-209. By all accounts was a pretty good guy, I knew several folks who served with him in the reserves and said he was sharp and did his job well and was modest about being a Senator when doing the reserves.

There is no reason you should care about her doing that this much. It isn't a big deal that she's wearing that or took that photo. It's almost like your posts are from a script of Desperate Housewives.

This photo is nothing to you and your life.

The way I keep replying to people, I'm starting to sound like I'm bat-poo crazy or something! But if the folks who wear the uniform aren't bothered by it, I guess there's no reason I should be. I was roughly comparing it to my black belt. If someone wants to tie a black belt around their gi and walk around like they earned it, it would pi$$ me off. I worked my butt off to wear that belt. From what I'd seen of military culture, that same thinking seems to be prevalent. But I don't technically have a dog in this fight, so if it's fine with y'all it's fine with me! Carry on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.