• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Is it possible at this point in my life?

Jacob Shon

My first post here in Air Warriors.
I have been searching and browsing the forum looking for answers for my situation. However, my situation is pretty specific.

1. Computer Science Bachelors with a 3.0 GPA with a certificate in Database Management. I attended University of Hawaii at Hilo. I was thinking of going back to school and retaking some classes to make my GPA competitive.
2. I'm 26 years. Actually going to be 27 in a few weeks.
3. The nearest Officer Recruitment is located on the mainland, I am in Hawaii.

Here is the kicker. I have 4 felonies due to theft back when I was 24. It was a dumb, stupid first time offense and did not serve any time. I am on probation and am expected to have the case expunged this upcoming year. I know that it will still show on my record, but it will show that the case was dismissed.

I was wondering, what you guys think of my situation? I want to be able to go OCS and make a career out of it.
Should I attempt to go OCS?
If I am not able to, what other options do you guys think I can do? Enlistment is something that I could also do, but with my degree, I was hoping to go the OCS route.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I have been searching and browsing the forum looking for answers for my situation. However, my situation is pretty specific.

1. Computer Science Bachelors with a 3.0 GPA with a certificate in Database Management. I attended University of Hawaii at Hilo. I was thinking of going back to school and retaking some classes to make my GPA competitive.

Here is the kicker. I have 4 felonies due to theft back when I was 24. It was a dumb, stupid first time offense and did not serve any time. I am on probation and am expected to have the case expunged this upcoming year. I know that it will still show on my record, but it will show that the case was dismissed.

I was wondering, what you guys think of my situation? I want to be able to go OCS and make a career out of it.
If I am not able to, what other options do you guys think I can do? Enlistment is something that I could also do, but with my degree, I was hoping to go the OCS route.

Four felonies will do it for ya. Maybe the Army can entertain but definitely not the Navy.

exNavyOffRec

FYI, nothing is every expunged when it comes to the US Gov't, they can see all, in my current job that has a gov't link the question candidates are asked is "have you ever .........." we have had people with expunged/sealed felonies that we had to turn away.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
With 4 felonies you're going to even be limited on the enlisted side due to security clearances.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
But I feel there's one thing that I've learned, it's certain it won't happen if you don't try. If it's something you want and your heart is in it, put a package in. The worst that can happen is you don't get accepted, but then at least you tried. In 2007 I was told my package didn't have a chance, the recruiter didn't even want to submit it. I told him if he didn't want to, I'd make the 3 hour drive down to Portland and have that recruiter do it. He submitted it. I got selected SNA on the first try and the rest is history. If you don't try, you didn't really want it that much. Good luck.

exNavyOffRec

But I feel there's one thing that I've learned, it's certain it won't happen if you don't try. If it's something you want and your heart is in it, put a package in. The worst that can happen is you don't get accepted, but then at least you tried. In 2007 I was told my package didn't have a chance, the recruiter didn't even want to submit it. I told him if he didn't want to, I'd make the 3 hour drive down to Portland and have that recruiter do it. He submitted it. I got selected SNA on the first try and the rest is history. If you don't try, you didn't really want it that much. Good luck.

Unless things have changed in a few years a person with a felony is now an all stop at the NRD level, no application can be submitted.

Shoot, I can only think of one person I worked with or dealt with during all my years on recruiting who even rec'd a waiver for a felony and that was 20 years ago, he was a semi pro boxer, was at a bar with family and some guy started shoving his sister? so he punched him, just once, but he fell back hit his head and later died, he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

But did you have four felonies, yet alone a single felony? Having one is essentially an ALL STOP for officer programs.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would you give that same advice to a quadruple amputee?

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
Unless things have changed in a few years a person with a felony is now an all stop at the NRD level, no application can be submitted.

If he can't submit a package, then it's clear cut. Just saying not to give up because the odds are against you.

Ken_gone_flying

pilot
Contributor
But did you have four felonies, yet alone a single felony? Having one is essentially an ALL STOP for officer programs.

No I didn't have any felonies. Reading the posts above I took it as highly unlikely, but not impossible.

Sonog

pilot
No I didn't have any felonies. Reading the posts above I took it as highly unlikely, but not impossible.

He's saying don't give up until its official. Even though we had two OR recruting SME's pretty much tell him its a no-go, it's not official until he's denied at the NRD level. If he quits now from advice he got on a message board, he might spend his whole life thinking "what if..."