• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Is it a requirement to take the full ASTB for intel?

MikeBuk

First post on here!

Currently I am a IS3 in the Navy stationed in Europe and very interested in becoming an Naval Officer. Given my location and the resources offered at my command only the OAR portion is offered. There is talk about getting the aviation portions here but at the time it is not offered and I don't see it happening in the near future given the interest of individuals trying to take the test. Though, my COC said I could possibly go TDY to a location that does offer it. Anyways, I was wondering if I do need the whole ASTB to become an intel officer. Given that I am a IS, I would like to stay in the community or my other interests are pilot than lastly SWO. Also, any other advice would be extremely helpful thanks! Sorry if this was answered somewhere I looked around and couldn't find anything really similar. I will include some stats just to give you a perspective and insight. Thanks!

Aspirations: Intel, Aviation, SWO

IS3 USN
Little over a year of service, earned my IDW warfare pin in 4 months
School: B.S. in Criminology from FSU 3.19 GPA

mb1685

As far as I know, SNA and NFO are the only designators that require the full test. Other designators require just the OAR.

MikeBuk

Thanks, I have aspirations to take the full test. But I don't think I can convince my COC to let me go TDY 3 times! So I think I am going to take the OAR first here and see where I am at so I don't go TDY to be unsatisfied.

NRDPortlandOR

Thanks, I have aspirations to take the full test. But I don't think I can convince my COC to let me go TDY 3 times! So I think I am going to take the OAR first here and see where I am at so I don't go TDY to be unsatisfied.

If you have even an iota of interest in Pilot/NFO, I'd recommend taking the full test. You will get an OAR score either way. If you take just the OAR, then decide you want to go aviation later, you will have to take the full test again and it will count as your second attempt. If you have NO interest whatsoever in aviation, you're better off with the OAR.

MikeBuk

I do meet the age requirement, I am currently 23. When I did go to OR straight out of college I was discouraged. The OR pretty much said without a tech degree my chances were limited to mainly SWO. The the two options that really intrigue me are Pilot and Intel. So I went into the intel field and love it, but I still have that what if feeling for being a pilot. But I have realized whether it is pilot, intel, or swo what I really want is to be a officer regardless of what it is.

exNavyOffRec

I do meet the age requirement, I am currently 23. When I did go to OR straight out of college I was discouraged. The OR pretty much said without a tech degree my chances were limited to mainly SWO. The the two options that really intrigue me are Pilot and Intel. So I went into the intel field and love it, but I still have that what if feeling for being a pilot. But I have realized whether it is pilot, intel, or swo what I really want is to be a officer regardless of what it is.

I wonder if you really spoke to an OR, you more than meet the requirements for Pilot/NFO/SWO and the ASTB would solidify that thought, if he was an OR he really didn't have your best interest in mind.

MikeBuk

I wonder if you really spoke to an OR, you more than meet the requirements for Pilot/NFO/SWO and the ASTB would solidify that thought, if he was an OR he really didn't have your best interest in mind.
I did! I really did, but in the same mind set out of college I was in a rush to get something going in life after graduation. Now I am in this position, I'm looking into the future not the past. No regrets so far so good, I having nothing bad to say about the intel field in the navy thus far. The intel officers I work with are great. Though, looking ahead I am pushing myself for something greater thus why I am here.