• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Involuntary extensions

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Does anyone have any experience with or know what the USMC’s ability is to involuntarily extend someone at a unit beyond a 36 month tour? I’ve read through MCO P1300.8S and didn’t notice anything definitive.

I’ve reached a ceiling at my current unit as far as qualifications go and any delay in starting a tour with another unit that will invest in the future of the squadron hurts my chances of progressing. I’m behind timeline as far as time in service compared to time post initial training is concerned due to TBS and flight school production issue delays. I’m trying to get back on timeline by going fleet to fleet, but any delay in doing that is harmful to my career, even a couple months, and I have a feeling I’m going to involuntarily be forced to stay at my current unit for >36 months.

Any experience/resources would be appreciated.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I have nothing to offer but I bet there will be a lot of this in the near future because of the mass exodus combined with the T-45 OBOGS hiatus

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
If you don't mind sharing, what is you platform and are you in the fleet now? Fleet to fleet to anywhere should be an easy sell, especially Japan. Did someone in the front office recently tell you you are getting extended?

Again, not sure what platform you are, but the USMC Hornet Manpower Working Group (Codename: Oh my god, how do we keep this thing from exploding?) finished last Thurs and for all you or I know, your 10 year plan was just discussed in detail by 10 field grade officers sitting around a table. The XO may be having a sit down with you come Monday to tell you the news.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The XO may be having a sit down with you come Monday to tell you the news.
hqdefault.jpg

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Man this whole fleet to fleet thing is all the rage these days now huh?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Word on the street is that T45 guys can expect 5 year initial orders.

You mean T-45 instructors? 5 years on shore duty doesn't sound so bad. However, first tour fleet JOs being extended beyond 3 years is becoming a more common in the Navy these days...

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
You mean T-45 instructors? 5 years on shore duty doesn't sound so bad. However, first tour fleet JOs being extended beyond 3 years is becoming a more common in the Navy these days...

Five year first fleet squadron orders for guys out of the RAG.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
We had a monitor road show come through and give us a SNA level career outlook/what does the monitor do for me brief.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
:confused:

Well, shit. So this 5 year orders gouge is for USMC pilots specifically?

Have heard precisely zero about this on the Navy side. They are extending some JOs for up to a year, but that isn't the same as planning first tours that are TWO YEARS (!!) longer than the historical norm. That would blow things up on our end, especially given how married to career timing wickets the USN is.

Python

pilot
Contributor
:confused:

Well, shit. So this 5 year orders gouge is for USMC pilots specifically?

Have heard precisely zero about this on the Navy side. They are extending some JOs for up to a year, but that isn't the same as planning first tours that are TWO YEARS (!!) longer than the historical norm. That would blow things up on our end, especially given how married to career timing wickets the USN is.

This is USMC specific

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
Changing the subject slightly to "voluntary" extensions.

Anyone have or know where to look regarding information on the rules and requirements of the coming 100% continuation of twice passed Captains? Specifically, I know you can...

1) Sign the page 11 declining continuation, separate, and get a severance package.
2) Accept continuation and take orders for three additional years and then separate taking a slightly larger severance.

But can you accept an extension at your current unit, thus not taking a PCS and the required additional commitment, and then separate at your convenience and only forfeit the severance package?

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
No clue. All 4 of the pilots I know personally who accepted continuation all PCS'd. All but 1 to the fleet. Guessing you are at -101 because extending from there is smart and everywhere else is a downgrade. As far as negotiations go, you have all the power. "Extend me at my current unit or I leave." You just need to be sure you can get official orders before the deadline to accept continuation, which is 4 weeks right? That's a tight turn-around for HQMC/ monitor stuff with 2 96's in the mix.

Another question: if they call your bluff, are you OK about getting out by this summer? If not, I would try to hide that as best you can.