• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

International Burn a Qu'ran Day

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
That's a great idea... the Patriot Guard Riders would do well to surround this scar on our nation with a ring of noise and steel. Obviously fighting their attitudes with violence would kind of have a negative effect. But it can't be emphasized enough how much these idiots, despite their right to do so, deface the principles we risk our lives upon.

jtmedli

pilot
The beauty of our constitution: It's a free country and you can do what you want. That includes making the most of yourself and pretty much be anything you want to be.

The bad part: Idiots like this can do what they want too. That includes being ignorant fuck-tards who've probably never read the quran, much less have a clue about the 2nd order implications of their actions.

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
"The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic"

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.......

It enrages me beyond all belief that a whackjob leader of a 50 person congregation causes protests and ill feelings towards the US and those serving the US in places like Afghanistan.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
<Sarcasm> I've been planning my road trip to Florida ever since I heard about this. I will SO be there, I'll be bringing my own box of books to burn too. Do you think they would get angry if I threw a few Bibles on the fire? </Sarcasm>

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I understand why this would appeal to some people.

That said, this is going to make things worse for us overseas, and probably get Americans killed. That's a sad testament to both the people doing the burning, and those who would incite violence because of it.

Doesn't anybody read, umm, history, or even Ray Bradbury? The whole burning books concept has been shown to be a categorical failure.

Complete random thought here--if you get the Koran on your Kindle, does it become a sacred object? That thought popped into my head while typing this and I just can't shake it. If I run out of space and I need to delete it from the memory, will I receive a fat'wa against me?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Complete random thought here--if you get the Koran on your Kindle, does it become a sacred object? That thought popped into my head while typing this and I just can't shake it. If I run out of space and I need to delete it from the memory, will I receive a fat'wa against me?

I'm afraid that Allah would have to strike you and your Kindle down for such an unholy act.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Hmm, I really thought there'd be a more exciting argument on this one!

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
<Sarcasm> I've been planning my road trip to Florida ever since I heard about this. I will SO be there, I'll be bringing my own box of books to burn too. Do you think they would get angry if I threw a few Bibles on the fire? </Sarcasm>

You'll have to wait in line... the local FD refused to issue a bonfire permit, so they have to keep it smaller than 3'x3'
It seems to me like everyone is watching and waiting for them to break one constitutionally-upheld law... and then they'll be shut down faster than you can say Ku Klux Klan.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

The thing is, no one would pay attention to a Bible-burning except Fox News. CNN would ignore it. Olbermann would denounce the Christian extremists who had the nerve to write letters to the organizers of the Bible-burning as #2 on his "Countdown" on MSNBC.

I am completely against book burnings as a principle. In this case, that general disapproval is amplified by knowing that our troops could be endangered by the blowback from this.

However, the one thing this reveals that upsets me is that Muslims are treated with kid gloves because they're well-known for going completely off the deep end in regards to their religion being slighted. Many newspapers were afraid to even print copies of the Danish Mohammed cartoons, for example. Until Islam is ready to join the Enlightenment, 500 years late, do we have to look out for it and protect it from any real or imagined slight?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Retarded idea.

Phrog, totally agree with your point about the chip on the shoulder of Islam about being slighted.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor

I think translations of the Quran are not considered holy, because they are not the original Arabic texts. It's only a quran with the Arabic text included that is considered holy, something to do with the Quran's text being divine and unchangeable, so a translation would lessen its purity.