• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HSV 2 sunk by Iranian supplied ASCM

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Aluminum hulls and missiles don't go well together... I don't imagine LCS would have much better luck against a similar threat.

FFG-7s had aluminum superstructures as well. You're never going to make missile-proof small combatants; as with aircraft, everything is a weight/cost/performance tradeoff. So you put other things into place and practice good DC.

That's probably as much speculation as we should do on LCS vs cruise missiles.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Someone would have to turn it on first first to find out. Just ask the crews of STARK and the INS HANIT.

Trust me, plenty of crews have it turned on. Always fun when R2D2 does his happy dance when you're on short final.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone would have to turn it on first first to find out.

Trust me, plenty of crews have it turned on.

It has done a pretty good job when needed and is responsible for saving plenty of asses, possibly including my own. The sound of 'god unzipping the sky', as one guy put it, wasn't exactly soothing but a comforting sound none the less.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Ask the many troops that were protected by CRAM (CWIS on a truck bed) in the desert. Here's a hint: CWIS is effective.

Not all the time... it seems to miss enough that guys aren't surprised when it whiffs.

azguy

None
Not all the time... it seems to miss enough that guys aren't surprised when it whiffs.

Yeah, and that's with f-ing mortars! That's literally hitting a bullet with a bullet (well, many bullets on the CIWS end). The vast, vast majority of ASCMs in the world today are an easier target.