• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How to improve my application?

water808

I am interested in applying for Intel and Supply, and am hoping to get any advice on how to strengthen my application for Intel. I have read that it's a good idea to have at least college level calc and physics classes under your belt if you don't have a STEM degree. Can anyone confirm this? Any other advice on how to improve my application would be greatly appreciated.

Here are my stats for what it's worth...

Academic Experience:
MPP - Master of Public Policy 3.7 (program evaluation, data analysis, management)
BA - Political Science/Sociology 3.4
-Invited to join Public Affairs, Sociology, and Poli Sci Honor Societies
-Research Assistant for annual publication on terrorism for which my prof was lead editor
-Project coordinator and presenter for my grad school capstone project

Prof Experience:
-6 years administration, data/budget analysis, and program evaluation for local, state, and federal agencies

Volunteer Experience:
-Basic Computer class instructor
-Combined Fed Campaign coordinator for my department
-Hurricane relief volunteer
-Data/Publications volunteer at my former college

Military Experience:
-1 Year Active Duty E4 USCG
-Collateral Duties: Damage Control Petty Officer for my dept

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am interested in applying for Intel and Supply, and am hoping to get any advice on how to strengthen my application for Intel.

Any other advice on how to improve my application would be greatly appreciated.
1. Your College achievements, experiences, and grades excellent. Need to take the OAR and score well (50+).

2. It would really help to get 4-5 quality LORs, hopefully from people in authority WHO ACTUALLY KNOW YOU... and are familiar with your character, reliability, and leadership potential (Professors, Teachers, work Supervisors, athletic Coaches, USCG Supervisor/DivO, etc An LOR from an Intel & one from a Supply Officer (the more senior, the better), would give a tremendous boost to your package for your communities of choice... Intel/Supply.

3. If you really desire to serve as a Naval Officer, you might consider adding SWO as a 3rd choice, as selection rates for both Supply & Intel have been quite low lately with an abundance of well qualified applicants, and a paucity of available billets.

The resume you've compiled so far is excellent; now get hot and compile as much of the above as possible, ace your OAR, (maybe even get an interview on record, with an active duty Intel and/or Supply Officer), and you'll be in top shape!;)

Good luck with your application.:)
BzB

water808

1. Your College achievements, experiences, and grades excellent. Need to take the OAR and score well (50+).

2. It would really help to get 4-5 quality LORs, hopefully from people in authority WHO ACTUALLY KNOW YOU... and are familiar with your character, reliability, and leadership potential (Professors, Teachers, work Supervisors, athletic Coaches, USCG Supervisor/DivO, etc An LOR from an Intel & one from a Supply Officer (the more senior, the better), would give a tremendous boost to your package for your communities of choice... Intel/Supply.

3. If you really desire to serve as a Naval Officer, you might consider adding SWO as a 3rd choice, as selection rates for both Supply & Intel have been quite low lately with an abundance of well qualified applicants, and a paucity of available billets.

The resume you've compiled so far is excellent; now get hot and compile as much of the above as possible, ace your OAR, (maybe even get an interview on record, with an active duty Intel and/or Supply Officer), and you'll be in top shape!;)

BzB

Thank you so much for the input.

I don't know any current Naval officers, just one retired. Would a recruiter be able to help get me in touch with one or two for interviews?

Thanks again. Will start getting everything together and preparing for the OAR.

kns1224

I am also interested in strengthening my package for Intel and Supply.
I currently hold a Master of Science in Exercise Science and Health Promotion (GPA 3.875) and a Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies (GPA 3.944). My OAR was only a 42 though (I am not the best at taking standardized tests). Do I still have a chance with such a low OAR score?

exNavyOffRec

I currently hold a Master of Science in Exercise Science and Health Promotion (GPA 3.875) and a Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies (GPA 3.944). My OAR was only a 42 though (I am not the best at taking standardized tests). Do I still have a chance with such a low OAR score?

You have a much better shot at SWO, key things for Intel are prior service and/or tech degree.

jaimej

Not that I am an expert on application packages, my OR just said he wouldn't submit my package without at least 3 interview appraisals. I didn't know any either. That's where the internet came in. I stalked linked-in, Facebook, and other Navy community websites. I found names and then I googled them for further research to find their accomplishments, medals, and involvement in the Supply Corps. I then wrote a "cover letter" of sorts introducing myself, and explaining why I needed them to interview me. Of course, I asked in a very respectful way. I was nervous, but if you don't ask, the answer will always be no.

jakejake527

Recruiters usually want an OAR score of 50 or above (lowest is 30, highest 80). Gotta be above bell curve average nowadays. You're competing against other smart college grads applying for the same job. I scored a 64 and still felt under-gunned against more qualified individuals.

jakejake527

Not that I am an expert on application packages, my OR just said he wouldn't submit my package without at least 3 interview appraisals. I didn't know any either. That's where the internet came in. I stalked linked-in, Facebook, and other Navy community websites. I found names and then I googled them for further research to find their accomplishments, medals, and involvement in the Supply Corps. I then wrote a "cover letter" of sorts introducing myself, and explaining why I needed them to interview me. Of course, I asked in a very respectful way. I was nervous, but if you don't ask, the answer will always be no.
That's called persistence and resourcefulness....no wonder you were selected for supply

luckily my recruiter set me up with a supply commander (0-5)

exNavyOffRec

Recruiters usually want an OAR score of 50 or above (lowest is 30, highest 80). Gotta be above bell curve average nowadays. You're competing against other smart college grads applying for the same job. I scored a 64 and still felt under-gunned against more qualified individuals.

35 is the minimum qualifying OAR.

OAR still doesn't trump GPA, I have seen people with OAR's in the 50's and 60's get a no because they had a so-so GPA, while I have also seen those with OAR's in the low 40's get selected but they had great GPA's, now most of these were IDC and Supply designators.

ajsquaredaway

None
Think about trying to score an interview.

From my blog .....

5 Tips on How to Apply to OCS
Tap into the Navy Reserve Operational Support Center (NOSC). If your asking, "when will my interview go down?" Don't. Interviews for OCS are not required. HOWEVER, adding an interview to your application is allowed and if you score well, having that interview write-up in your application will certainly make you more competitive
So how do you get good interviews? You could rely on your recruiter to set one up. However, the end result would be much better if you can venture out on your own and build relationships with reservists in your area.

• Step One: find a local NOSC and take a visit. Ask to speak with an officer of the same 'designator' in which you're applying for. Take a few tips from best-selling author Tim Ferris, author of the Four Hour Work Week, on how to approach important people you want to act as a mentor. Example Blog Post with his tactics.
  • Step Two: ask a few specific questions, grab their email address, ask permission to occasionally ask them questions, don't take up too much of their time and get out of there.
  • Step Three: help the relationship grow through email and follow on visits, maybe even a lunch or coffee session.
  • Step Four: After getting to know that person, ask if they would be willing to conduct a formal interview to include in your application package.

Sal189379

BzB

Am I competitive for selection?

Age 36 as March 2015:
Evaluations include: 4 EPs, 1 MP, 1 NOB.
Applying for SWO-IW, IW, INTEL
BS–3.534 GPA (Security Management)
Certification: Homeland Security Level 1.
USMAP Certs: Office Administration, Navy Counselor and Kindred, Computer Peripheral. 100% compelete.
OAR: 60
AQR/PFAR/FOFAR: 7/7/7
12 years, 9 months AD: NCC(IDW/AW) "Prior AG"
Awards/Medals: NCOMx1, NAMx3, FLOCx4, MOVSMx1, OEF Medals(Afghanistan)
LORs: 2-3
ASTB: 7 Jun 2011

NPC OCM briefed me that SWO-IW, SWO-IP, IW, IP, INTEL, OCEANO, SWO-OCEAN are accepting applicants up to age 42.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Am I competitive for selection?
Definitely competitive; however, no such thing as a "slam dunk" application package in these small but highly desired communities (many applicants... slots, not so many!:eek:

Stay motivated (a bjt of knee-mail" might be appropriate)?;)
BzB