• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How does Navy determine # of IP's ?

satpak77

Quick question for anyone who may know

How does the Navy decide how many Instructor Pilots (IPs) it needs each year ? Is there a set ratio, student to IP, that exists ? Is it based on existing or expected platforms ? For example "x# of P-8 deliveries expected soon....we need this many IPs...."

Etc ?

Thank you

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
PFM

(PERS ultimately sets the tempo on production based on projections of accessions, time to train, and fleet demand for replacement pilots.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's a program that CNAF owns that each FRS (and presumably, each TRACOM Wing) uses that solves for IPs and number of aircraft based on what's inputted (#of students, stagger of studs, training day, syllabus length, etc). It even accounts for the reduced theoretical output of DHs and maintenance flights. I don't know the name of the program, but when utilizing it, I (and others) just refer to it as the Gonkulator.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

How does the Navy decide how many Instructor Pilots (IPs) it needs each year ? Is there a set ratio, student to IP, that exists ? Is it based on existing or expected platforms ? For example "x# of P-8 deliveries expected soon....we need this many IPs...."

Etc ?

Thank you
You assume there's a plan. BUPERs just has X number of people and Y number of jobs. Lately, Y is greatly exceeding X and they are "managing" it into oblivion.

hscs

pilot
^^ feel like this is opposite on helo side, especially with the loss of a number of billets. Interesting the difference.

robav8r

None
Contributor

Etc ?

Thank you
It's usually in the neighborhood of 37 to 41%. Usually . . .

sickboy

pilot
There's a program that CNAF owns that each FRS (and presumably, each TRACOM Wing) uses that solves for IPs and number of aircraft based on what's inputted (#of students, stagger of studs, training day, syllabus length, etc). It even accounts for the reduced theoretical output of DHs and maintenance flights. I don't know the name of the program, but when utilizing it, I (and others) just refer to it as the Gonkulator.

Excel?

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
South-Park-Season-10-Episode-4-37-c962.jpg
These guys are busting your balls. I've attached a picture of the actual system they use.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
This?
460465306-rob-gronkowski-of-the-new-england-patriots-gettyimages-e1447956587238.jpg