• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

How demanding is the NROTC program?

Mmlz

Hello,
I'm 17 and I'm going to graduate next year so I've started planning my future. Coming from a Military family I've always wanted to serve my Country and now that I'm growing up and that option is presenting itself I'm considering starting the NROTC program after I graduate High School and start College but I have a few questions.

First, I'm wondering how Mentally, Physically, and Academically demanding the NROTC program is and how much should I prepare myself for it.

Physically, I'm 165lbs, 6 feet and some what athletic. Since the summer is coming up I plan on working out and running atleast 3 times a week. I'm also taking Advanced PE (Which I might switch to weight training which is a little more demanding) both Semesters my senior year in High School.

Mentally, I've prepared myself to work as hard as I can to pass. I know it is going to be hard but I'm not sure how hard.

Academically, I've struggled a lot with Math in High School but mainly because my lack studying and concentration. Most other subjects I've been able to learn with relative ease. History and English especially.

So rate me. Tell me how much I need to prepare myself and if I'll even be able to make it based on what I've said here.

Second, when, and who should I contact about doing the NROTC program in College? It is the end of my Junior year in High School. Am I running out of time?

Third, what is NROTC life like? Do you get to go visit your family on the weekends if you choose to or will you be doing activities with your NROTC division?

Thanks for your time and thanks for any replies. :)

Edit2: Nevermind question answered.

P3 F0

None
Talk to one of the LT's at whatever NROTC unit you're thinking about going to and find out what he recommends and when the scholarship deadlines are, and your options for joining your freshman year without a scholarship. Heck, I joined up (CP) my first day at Ohio State. If you get a scholarship (and it may be less than a four-year), it will require some higher math, so be ready for that. Otherwise, being in NROTC is not very demanding academically or physically. You're not PT-ing every day, although I suppose different units can have different PT programs going on. You will, I believe, be required to pass the regular PT standards. You even mentioning "advanced PE" in your post worries me, but as long as you run a bit, do some situps and pushups, the unit should be able to do the rest of the work and get you to where you need to be.

For the most part, you're a regular student who drills after school once a week, has an extra class to take every quarter/semester, and has other commitments (NROTC clubs/obligations), and also will have some or all summers dedicated to cruise-type activities. Other than that, you are a regular student, with the caveat that ultimately, you're accountable to your unit. So behave accordingly.

I don't know what your grades are like, but be prepared to keep a decent gpa--I believe the scholarships require a min to keep them. And usually if you fail or withdraw from a class, you may find yourself in NROTC study hall every day, if your unit has one of those. But generally speaking, IMO, ROTC is the absolute easiest and most painless way of getting a commission.

cosmania

Gitty Up!
pilot
It sounds like you are a junior in High School about to enter your senior year. Look into the ROTC programs that are probably available on line. Apply to the ROTC scholarship first. If they accept you, you can narrow down your college search.

Grades are probably the most important thing, followed by physical fitness and leadership roles (like captains of sports teams or academic teams or student government type stuff).

For some specialities, they will let you apply later for ROTC.

Like these gentlemen said, if you're a junior in high school there is still time, but if you're a junior in college already its too late. You have to become involved in the beginning of your junior year. If you're in high school, apply for the scholarship.

If you don't get the scholarship you can join the college program with the NROTC unit at your desired school by getting in touch with them and they will let you know everything you need to do. I'm starting college this fall as a CPer and got all the information very easily. Good luck!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Academics seem to kick most people in the head. As an NROTC Midshipman you will be required to take two semesters of Calculus and two semesters of Calculus-based Physics (no matter what your major is). You also have to take a series (4-5) of Naval Science classes, which are not very hard. The weekends are yours to keep, but there is a weekly morning get-together (usually on Thursdays) and minor ROTC responsibilities that you have to take care of during the week.

I go to ODU, which is in Norfolk, and is arguably the most strict unit on the East Coast due to its proximity to damn near EVERYTHING. None of the mids have too much trouble with anything and there is a FREE math/physics tutor at the unit everyday. Physically, if you can run 1.5 miles and knock out 60 pushups/60 situps, you exceed the MINIMUM requirements.

Speak with the JROTC instructors at your high school and the NROTC instructor at your local college and ask the same questions...good luck.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Hello,
I'm 17 and I'm going to graduate next year so I've started planning my future. Coming from a Military family I've always wanted to serve my Country and now that I'm growing up and that option is presenting itself I'm considering starting the NROTC program after I graduate High School and start College but I have a few questions.

Wait, you're 17 and a junior in college!?

reading comprehension fail :p
i jest..

To the OP,
NROTC is demanding. Very. You will be expected to devote a lot of time to the unit for volunteer/voluntold work. You will PT at least 3 days a week along with regular drill. Not to mention if you join any NROTC teams (drill team/color guard). Not to mention there is the need to preform academically. And yes, you will have to take calculus and calculus based physics, so do whatever it takes to brush up on those math skills.

good luck, and if you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.

porw0004

standard-issue stud v2.0
pilot
.. I'm considering starting the NROTC program after I graduate High School and start College ..

.. both Semesters my senior year in High School ..

.. It is the end of my Junior year in College. ..

I'd say there was a big enough discrepency for Rufio's question to be valid. However, I think most people recognized that was the setting for a hypothetical situation (or a typo).

Final score: 2-1 he's in high school, not college.

torpedo0126

i jest..

Actually...

Second, when, and who should I contact about doing the NROTC program in College? It is the end of my Junior year in College. Am I running out of time?

I think several of us were confused about that.

If you are a junior in high school you are right on schedule. You can probably start the online application process now. You can always get AWARDED the scholarship and decline.

The Navy also gives you a 'free year' in that you can accept benefits for one year and opt out of the program at the beginning of the sophomore year if you decide its not for you.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Actually...

I think several of us were confused about that.

If you are a junior in high school you are right on schedule. You can probably start the online application process now. You can always get AWARDED the scholarship and decline.

The Navy also gives you a 'free year' in that you can accept benefits for one year and opt out of the program at the beginning of the sophomore year if you decide its not for you.

I actually didn't even really notice that, just wrote it off as a typo.
good catch

navy09

None
i jest..

To the OP,
NROTC is demanding. Very. You will be expected to devote a lot of time to the unit for volunteer/voluntold work. You will PT at least 3 days a week along with regular drill. Not to mention if you join any NROTC teams (drill team/color guard). Not to mention there is the need to preform academically. And yes, you will have to take calculus and calculus based physics, so do whatever it takes to brush up on those math skills.

good luck, and if you have any more questions, feel free to pm me.

Mmlz, bear in mind that the overall demands and time commitments of the NROTC program differ from unit to unit (school to school). What you see above would be on the more time-intensive side of the spectrum. To get specific information on a unit, contact them directly- or ask around on here.

No matter where you go, you'll have to do 2 semesters each of calc and physics which really sucks a nut if you're a social sciences guy like me.