• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Homebrew!

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Wondering if there are any other homebrew aficionados out there. I just finished racking my 4th batch into its primary fermentor. The previous three were brown/amber ales, and I'm trying a German-style lager this time. My next two batches will probably be an Irish stout and an English bitter. I constructed a kegerator with a tap, and it worked great on my last brew! I'm excited to see how this one turns out. I got my buddy hooked, and we bottled his IPA the other night. That one tasted good, and I can't wait to taste it once it's cold and carbonated.
I'm trying to procure a Phrog's cyclic grip for the tap handle. Does anyone have any experience doing something to this effect?
Anyone have any gouge where to cheaply refill a CO2 tank in the San Diego area?

E5B

Red Solo cup
pilot
Super Moderator
I've been homebrewing for almost 3 years now. My last two batches were recipes I "tweaked" and I was pleasently surprised at the outcome. Every other batch is an IPA because I drink that the most. When I get back to CONUS I'll be happy to post my IPA recipe that I use.

I also have a kegerator but it contains a keg of Sam Adams.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
i just got into this about 6 months ago and i love it. :) I focus mostly on British and Irish ales since thats what i like the most. i just bottled a dark red and im planning out a barleywine next.

E5B

Red Solo cup
pilot
Super Moderator
Anyone interested in trading a homebrew or two? I traded one with Brett last summer.

Of course, this will have to wait until I get back.

I get my CO2 container filled up at a local fire extinguisher recharge company. Just pull out the yellow pages and look up fire extinguisher companies and call 'em up and ask if they fill them up, most places know about it. The place I go to charges me 3.50.

So you actually brew it into a keg? I didn't know there were home brewing things like that. What do you use? I have a kegorator and would love to put my own stuff in it.

picklesuit

Living the GeoBachelor dream...
pilot
Contributor
Homebrew is some of the best beer I have ever had. I had a buddy at work who made a mean Lager, I swear it was like drinking bread buttered with a little heaven.

badger16

None
I'm actually looking into getting into it. Anyone have any suggestions for what sort of kit I should start with? I know a couple of friends in college who went with as Mr. Beer kit. Are they good?

schwarti

Contributor
Badger, check out the Brewing Network - they've got some great stuff for beginners, and they're hilarious. (My brother is really into brewing and never shuts up about these guys.) I wouldn't go for the Mr. Beer thing - you can get a small setup for fairly cheap, and when you move on to more volume and more complex recipes, you can keep using your original stuff. Check out http://homebrewheaven.com/ for gear - they have a good starter set for $120 or so, and it includes a video (which I've never seen).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wondering if there are any other homebrew aficionados out there. I just finished racking my 4th batch into its primary fermentor. The previous three were brown/amber ales, and I'm trying a German-style lager this time. My next two batches will probably be an Irish stout and an English bitter. I constructed a kegerator with a tap, and it worked great on my last brew! I'm excited to see how this one turns out. I got my buddy hooked, and we bottled his IPA the other night. That one tasted good, and I can't wait to taste it once it's cold and carbonated.
I'm trying to procure a Phrog's cyclic grip for the tap handle. Does anyone have any experience doing something to this effect?
Anyone have any gouge where to cheaply refill a CO2 tank in the San Diego area?
Dunno about the CO2, but I used to get all my supplies at the Ballast Point Brewery when I was in San Dog - conveniently located across the street from the USD campus on Linda Vista I think. I suspect the guys in there would be able to guide you on where the best place would be for CO2. I've actually branched out and am making wine now as well. Takes longer for the finished product (>1 year), but it's still very cool. I my try growing some grapes (or hops) if I ever get to a point in my life/career where I'm in one spot for more than a couple years.

Brett

badger16

None
Badger, check out the Brewing Network - they've got some great stuff for beginners, and they're hilarious. (My brother is really into brewing and never shuts up about these guys.) I wouldn't go for the Mr. Beer thing - you can get a small setup for fairly cheap, and when you move on to more volume and more complex recipes, you can keep using your original stuff. Check out http://homebrewheaven.com/ for gear - they have a good starter set for $120 or so, and it includes a video (which I've never seen).

Thanks schwarti! I'll have check it out.

Swanee

Self aware since 2014
pilot
Contributor
I did quite a bit of brewing in college, but not in the last 2 years. I had a lot of success with some lagers (a Bavarian Black Lager came out really really well and is probably my favorite beer out there) as well as an IPA or 2. We also did a few Heffe's, but they seemed to be more of a hit or miss when it came to quality.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I use a 5-gallon Cornelius ("Corny") keg that was originally intended for soda. They're quite standard for homebrewers, and you can fit several in a fridge, as well as a 5-pound CO2 tank.
My last batch had a weak to non-existent hop flavor/aroma, and I suspect this one will as well. Out of curiosity, how much hops do you guys use? Ever experiment with dry-hopping?
My lager has been fermenting at room temp for about 16 hours, but there was no sign of activity. I just threw it in the fridge, regulated to 50 deg (the yeast's optimal temp). This is my first lager; when should I start seeing activity?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I'm definitely going to start brewing at some point in the near future. Some of the best beers I've had are home brew. By far was a stout my brother-in-law's college roommate made.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You've all reminded me to get off my arse and start a batch. It's been six months since I've done one.