• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Home Vision Therapy Eye Exercises

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
As many of you know, I went to vision therapy for six months at Vision and Conceptual Development Center (VCDC) in Washington, DC where I learned to see better. My left eye went from 20/40 to 20/20 and my vision continues to improve as I continue to do these exercises. Let me preface this by saying that I had vision that was good enough already that no doc would cut my eyes, so if you're 20/500, this probably won't work for you...

First off, I have a kit that I have to use in many of these exercises. I bought it on my second day of vision therapy. You can buy it online at www.bernell.com. Just go up to the search, type in "Wachs" (named for Dr. Harry Wachs, the doc in charge of VCDC), and the one you want is the "Home VT Kit". It's $23.50 online, not including shipping. If you don't want to buy it, you can make some of your own tools, and I'll do my best in describing how to do this.

Warm up exercise: Eye Swings
Tools: none
How to: Pretty self explanatory; without moving your head, slide both of your eyes from left to right, back and forth for 30 seconds, same with up and down for 30 seconds, and both sets of diagonals (upper left to lower right, upper right to lower left) each for 30 seconds. Try to get as much range of vision as you can without moving your head. It might help to select references in your field of view or even make some with sticky notes around the room or something.

Exercise: Wolf Wands (works on tracking and saccadic eye movement)
Tools: A friend to help, two pens (different colors)
How to: Have your buddy take a pen in each hand and wave them both around randomly and at a pretty quick pace. He/she should call out which color of pen that you should be tracking at the moment and switch it up every few seconds. When the color changes, your eyes should quickly dart in search of the other pen and then start tracking it immediately. Make sure your buddy is utilizing your entire field of view and darting the pens around fast enough. If it’s challenging enough, your eyes will get tired after a while. Don’t do this for longer than two minutes.

Exercise: Eye Crossing (voluntary convergence)
How to: Pretty self explanatory; cross your eyes and hold it for ten seconds. Do it two or three times.

Exercise: Eye Circles (voluntary convergence)
Tool: E-stick (basically, a strip of index card about 5” long with a tiny “E” written on the top)
How to: One eye at a time; depending on which eye you are working on, block the other eye from looking at the E-stick by just placing your hand between the eye you’re not using and your nose like a blinder. Even though this eye shouldn’t be able to see the E-stick around your hand, it will still be helping the other eye. Now, with the eye you are working, take the E-stick about two inches away from your face and SLOWLY make circles around what would be the shape of your eye socket. Keep the
“E” in focus the entire time. If it starts to blur at a certain point, pause it there and stop circling, and get it to focus. Once it’s in focus, then you can continue to circle. Orbit your eye three or four times and then do the same steps for the other eye.

Exercise: Figure Eights (voluntary convergence)
Tool: E-stick
How to: Sort of like Eye Circles, but working both eyes at the same time. At the same distance you held the E-stick from your face for Eye Circles, SLOWLY bring the E-stick in a figure-eight pattern around your eyes. Keep the “E” in focus the entire time. Do this for no longer than two minutes.

Exercise: Thumbs (voluntary convergence)
How to: Make your hands into fists with your thumbs on top. Hold them next to each other so your thumb s are touching (imagine you’re playing a video game with a microscopic game controller). Now cross your eyes just enough to make a clear “third thumb.” Now there are two different things you can do while keeping this “third thumb” in focus. You can play a trombone: move your hands near and far at a slow to moderate pace all while keeping that “third thumb.” And, you can play an accordion: move your fists apart and back together at a slow pace all while keeping the “third thumb.” Do this for no longer than two minutes.

Exercise: Dots (voluntary convergence)
Tool: Three-Dot Card (basically a plain white index card cut in half the long way with three dots drawn on each side, one side with three green dots, the other with three red dots. The dots should be small, medium, and large in size and make sure they match the size of the corresponding dot on the other side of the card)
How to: Hold the Three-Dot Card up against your nose pointing out with the small dot closest to you. Now cross your eyes enough to blend the large green and red dots into one brownish dot, and hold for five seconds, then cross your eyes even more for the medium dots, and the same for the smallest dots. Focus on the different sizes and get faster and going between each set of dots. As you get better at this, trim the card so that the small set of dots gets closer and closer to your nose. Do this for no longer than two minutes.

Exercise: Rock Stick (vision acuity, near and far)
Tools: Rock Stick (like the “E” Stick, except it has a series of random letters and numbers where the “E” was), Distance Chart (chart hung on the wall with a series of letter and numbers), Eye Patch
How to: One eye at a time; you’re going to go back and forth between reading a letter from the Rock Stick and a letter from the Distance Chart. Start with the Rock Stick about a foot away from the eye you are working. As you go through alternately reading the letters and numbers from the Distance Chart and the Rock Stick, bring the Rock Stick closer and closer to your eye (until you’re about as close as you were with the “E” Stick), and take steps backwards from the Distance Chart. Do this for each eye.

Exercise: Follow the Bug (voluntary convergence)
Tool: Strings (2’ of colored dental floss drawn through a 4” plastic tube weighed down with a metal washer)
How to: Hold the plastic tube with one hand upright against your nose so that the metal washer is right above your lips, and the top of the plastic tube is right between your eyes. With your other hand, hold the colored floss straight out in front of you. Now starting at where your thumb is holding the string out in front of you and imagine a small bug walking along the string toward your nose. An ‘X’ should track along the string as your eyes slowly converge following the bug. Do the same for the bug SLOWLY walking back out toward your thumb. The ‘X’ should move smoothly along the string, and should not jump from point to point or move too quickly. Do this for no more than two minutes.

There are a couple other more complicated home vision exercises that would be nearly impossible to explain on here, but I hope this is good enough for now. Please let me know if you have any questions, and I will do my best to help answer them. Best of luck to those of you who try these, they worked for me.

Have fun!
~Red

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Oh, I should add that you have to do these every day. It only takes about 10-20 minutes out of your day to do everything. And please don't do these while you're driving or flying ;)

beaverslayer

pilot
These are really interesting, thanks for posting! So it took you 6 months of doing these all every day to go from 20/40 to 20/20? It's amazing to me that by doing these simple exercises you could actually improve your vision. I'm at right about 20/30, so I am going to give these a try and see what happens!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Eye exercises worked for me in the days before PRK had been conceived or became a wet-dream in the bank account of most self-respecting Ophthalmologists .... it was much more simple in the ol' days, however ...

Focusing exercises ... just focusing. You could 'feel' the eye muscles during/after a session ... or at least it seemed.

All it required was an eye patch (Arrrrgh!!), or just your hand, a 20/20 eye chart, 20 feet, @ 10-15 minutes/day ... and a determination to be a NAVAL AVIATOR
. It took me from 20/40 left, 20/25 right down to a shaky 20/20 left, 20/15 (20/10 on a 'good day' right) .... then I got away from the books/college and I can still read 20/20 or bettah' on a 'good day' ... near vision is still good enough to read the date on this ... :D

rolexgmt.jpg

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
These are really interesting, thanks for posting! So it took you 6 months of doing these all every day to go from 20/40 to 20/20? It's amazing to me that by doing these simple exercises you could actually improve your vision. I'm at right about 20/30, so I am going to give these a try and see what happens!

Right there with ya. I got 20/30 and im going to give these a try to see if I can't at least hold on to it until I go through OCS.

Thanks for the post redmidgrl.

And I completely agree with A4, my eyes were 20/20 before college and the ridiculous amount of book I have had to read have deffinetly have their toll.

hotwings

ill definitely be doing thee as i am at about 20/30 in my left eye......thanks......also would you say the kit is worth it?

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
would you say the kit is worth it?

I like the kit because it came with some extra tools for some exercises that I didn't mention and that I don't think would be easy to make, but it's really up to you. Some of the items would be pretty easy to make like the "E" Stick, Rock Stick, Distance Chart, and Three-Dot Card.

For ~$25, I'd say it's definitely worth it because I've been using it for more than 2 years now and it's already helped me tremendously. Not having to wear those awesome NAMI glasses in the plane is pretty much priceless...

hotwings

redmidgl if my vol convergence is fine (i can easily cross my eyes) do i need to do the exercises labelled vol convergence? or can i skip these? I guess what i am asking is can i pick and choose exercises or is this a total package that should be done as a group of exercises...... thanks

A4s forever....so you simply took turns with each eye focusing on the chart everyday.....could you explain what you did exactly?

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
redmidgl if my vol convergence is fine (i can easily cross my eyes) do i need to do the exercises labelled vol convergence? or can i skip these? I guess what i am asking is can i pick and choose exercises or is this a total package that should be done as a group of exercises...... thanks

Honestly, it depends on your confidence in you voluntary convergence. There's more to voluntary convergence than the ability to cross your eyes. Some of the voluntary convergence exercises also help with your binocular vision (eye teaming - essentially, getting your eyes to work together as a team).

Think about it this way: when you go to the gym, one exercise for a certain muscle group might be pretty easy, but we still do different exercises for the same muscle group to improve its strength anyway. The same goes for varying eye exercises.

Ultimately, it's up to you, but I still recommend trying everything. You might find that the different convergence exercises are still challenging and will still be helpful.

~Red

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Out of curiousity, do any of the address or help eye fatigue? As I am getting "older" that is something I am noticing more and more, especially in low light conditions looking cross cockpit at the damn tactical display when the NAV picks blue to highlight some damn line I am supposed to be following... "Cyan damnit!" :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is that what they are called?

I am 20/20 and 20/25, but like many in aviation, I suffer from hyperopia (farsighted due to astigmatism), that is getting more pronounced as I age. Luckily I don't get headaches or anything else associated with eye strain. Didn't know if these exercises helped or not, since my eye muscles all my life have deformed my lens to help my vision.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
Out of curiousity, do any of the address or help eye fatigue? As I am getting "older" that is something I am noticing more and more, especially in low light conditions looking cross cockpit at the damn tactical display when the NAV picks blue to highlight some damn line I am supposed to be following... "Cyan damnit!" :)

According to the VCDC website (http://vcdcwashington.com/index.html), they also address some of the vision issues that you bring up. My best advice would be to do more tracking exercises like Eye Swings and Wolf Wands just to work out the muscles in your eyes, as well as Rock Sticks to keep your near and distant vision and focusing in shape.

As a computer programmer, my father gets pretty bad eye fatigue as well. He practices alternately focusing on near and far objects (kind of like Rock Sticks) in order to try to keep his eye muscles strong and prevent eye strain, and it has been working out for him.

Doing these exercises might tire your eyes out at first. When I first started vision therapy, there were times that I needed to take naps after appointments because my eyes being tired made the rest of me feel tired. In the long run, your eyes will gain some more endurance and strength.

~Red

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As a computer programmer, my father gets pretty bad eye fatigue as well. He practices alternately focusing on near and far objects (kind of like Rock Sticks) in order to try to keep his eye muscles strong and prevent eye strain, and it has been working out for him.
That is what I have done for years. I honestly think my main cause of eye strain is the shitty NMCI monitor that I have on my desk. I have seriously contemplated purchasing my own 24" LCD and bringing it into work to make it easier on my eyes, and the job... Then again, we would have to have enough NIPR and SIPR machines at work in the first place, but I digress.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Awesome post, thanks! I'm sure this will help many people maintain good vision.