• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

High Scores on the ASTB

Status
Not open for further replies.

budaploud

Does anyone know if higher scores on the ASTB are directly related to higher acceptance rates into aviation? I realize that there are many other factors that could either make or break an applicant, but, all things being equal, does the board weigh the scores more heavily or less heavily than other aspects of the candidate? Just wondering...I just took the test last week and I am attempting to figure out where I stand in the scheme of things. Thanks

rhollin1

I think that it is safe to say that the higher your score the better your changes are going to be getting an aviation slot.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

http://www.geocities.com/ronhollin/

Adrenaline Rush

i also think it is safe to say the astb scores weigh heavily upon your whole package, i saw your scores on another post, great job, as long as everything else in your application is decent, then you look like a great candidate, good luck

budaploud

What would be considered "high"? I am aware that the min. scores are 4,6,6. Does my OAR rate highly in the evaluation process? If there are any of you out there who have already been accepted, what were your scores (if you don't mind me asking). Thanks

budaploud

Thanks Adrenaline Rush...we must have posted at the same time. I guess I'll just keep the old fingers crossed and wait to see what the board thinks of my app.

AllenAzali

Hey, budaploud. I believe if your applying to the Navy your ASTB scores are a major factor in their decision. For USMC its different. I think theyre just looking to see if you passed the ASTB. The USMC board puts heavy emphasis on the PFT as a major factor towards their decision. No doubt a high ASTB score only makes a package look better!!!

Adrenaline Rush

well the marines have a higher standard than the navy (as far as official requirements are concerned, maybe now the navy requires higher scores due to the heavy competition) it seems as if the marines weed out a lot of people,,those you cant run 3 mile in 24mins, 10 pullups, or pass the astb,, i know i have changed my mind, and wish to to go USMC for that very reason!!

budaploud

AllenAzali,
I'm with Adrenaline on this one...I'm going USMC. Don't know if it's b/c I grew up near Camp Lejeune or what. I feel sure that higher scores are definitely more important than the PFT portion of the application, but to what extent, I cannot say. I am just going to wait and see. Allen, have you taken your ASTB yet? I think I posted on one of your questions somewhere in this site...if you have, how did you do?

bart27

My understanding is that 6's are the new mins and if we wish to be competitive we must score as high as possible in addition to having a complete package (ie 8's). This is just my 2 cents and what I have gathered from this forum.

AllenAzali

Navys min for SNA were 3/4/4/pbio/fobio/oar. Im sure by now general assumption is they have been raised.I scored in between that and a 4/6/6/pbio/fobio/oar, which is the Marines bare minimum. I might have to take the test again for the third time. My physical seems to be fine, its just about training and weight loss for me. Academic wise, the Sciences or Engineering was not what I took in college so I have to make up for that in my studies.

Yea, budaplod you posted on my June 183 topic/question.

Oh yea and everytime I took a ride down to San Diego from Los Angeles, I would see Super Cobras train, boy was it a rush to watch the choppers get so close to I5 and Pendleton. http://www.cpp.usmc.mil/

Status
Not open for further replies.