• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Help me with my next purchase

JohnH

I am looking to buy a small and affordable piece for personal protection.
My current choices are now the M&P shield 9mm, Ruger LC9s, Taurus pt111, Bersa Thunder .380, Bersa Firestorm 9mm.
All are roughly the same size and in the same ball park of price locally. Major points to the Bersa for style and appearance as it looks like a PPK and will make me feel like James Bond. LC9s is the smallest and can fit in a pocket. The PT111 is a double stack and is the same size as the shield but has more capacity. The Shield just feels good when I fire it.
This choice is not the easiest one.

azguy

None
Don't own any of these, but have shot the Shield and (as you've noted) it's really great to shoot. Good luck!

exNavyOffRec

I have shot the Shield as well and it wasn't bad.

When you say "fit in the pocket" I would encourage you to not carry one in the pocket that isn't properly holstered, in all the firearms training I have been in there is always a new story of an improperly carried firearm (not in a holster) being discharged.

Piposterous

"The road to success is always under construction"
pilot
My roommate has the Shield and we go shooting nearly every week. As stated already, it's a great shot and extremely lightweight. He also purchased a new magazine so he can load two additional rounds.

If you are up for suggestions then you should look at the Glock 43 single stack or the Springfield XD - both of which you would have to pay a bit more but both are great Saturday Night Specials that definitely need mentioning.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
When you say "fit in the pocket" I would encourage you to not carry one in the pocket that isn't properly holstered, in all the firearms training I have been in there is always a new story of an improperly carried firearm (not in a holster) being discharged.
*cough* Plaxico Burress *cough*

exNavyOffRec

*cough* Plaxico Burress *cough*

I forgot about him, but yes. Not too far from me there was a guy carrying a small handgun in his pants pocket in Lowes a few years ago, he went to adjust it, hit the trigger and ended up with a bullet in his leg, of course that was after bullet blew off one of his testicles.

GroundPounder

It looks like you would qualify for the Glock blue label pricing, I would consider their products. If you go to the GT Distributors page, it is easy to see what the discounted price is for the weapon that best suits your needs. I'm not a huge Glock fan, but they do what you want them to do, with little fuss. I own and have carried off duty 42, 42, 23, and 36. i can't stand the 27s, they just feel awkward in my hand, the 36 is my favorite of the bunch.

I have shot the Shield and LC9, and they are also good weapons in my opinion. My suggestion would be to handle them all, hopefully get a chance to shoot them all back to back to see what suits your hand and eyes the best.