• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hay Fever = Disqualifying?

altuc

So, I have a mild case of 'hay fever' come allergy season, and I recorded that on my med-screening for Sea Cadet boot camp. I read an OPNAV regarding Naval Aircrewmen that if you have hay fever it is disqualifying. I am assuming this is the same for Aviator/NFO? I mean, Im sure it'll go away in the next 7 seven years or so before I apply for Flight School of any kind, but I know MEPS does a very detailed background medical check, and I hope it wont be a problem...

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,
Alex

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
While I'm still awaiting a Final Select and therefore still a civilian, based on what I have heard on this board, and more importantly read on the NAMI waiver guide, Hay Fever will not stand in your way. It may be disqualifying, but it is waiverable, and you can take allergy meds for it. I have seasonal allergies as well, so trust me, it's something I've looked into also.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...Pages/AeromedicalReferenceandWaiverGuide.aspx

Specifically, see Ear, Nose, and Throat (Section 6.1)

altuc

TREATMENT: The non-sedating antihistamines (Claritin, Clarinex, and Allegra) and the leukotriene receptor antagonist montelukast (Singulair) are approved for use in all aviation personnel, with no waiver required providing the above conditions are met.

This pretty much clears me of needing a waiver as this is what I have always used. Good luck with your situation, post back with updates!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I was not DQ'd for hay fever. If you can use meds that are approved for flight status (ie allegra, some forms of claratin), then your flight doc will simply prescribe them to you. On your initial flight physical, they will do some extra x-rays to make sure that you don't have any chronic sinus problems, but that normally isn't an issue for people from what I have seen. I do remember hearing that if you took allergy shots as a kid, that could be an issue (IIRC a certain amount of years has to have elapsed since you last took them to get a waiver). Either way, I'd just be honest....in my experience it hasn't been a big deal. I had meds prescribed to me both in Meridian, as well as here @ Miramar more recently.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Flonase is your friend.

This too. Normally, unless the pollen is real bad, this is all I need to clear up my nose/sinuses and go fly. Speaking of nasal spray, if you have any allergy issues down the road, when you go see the flight doc, see if he will give you a bottle of affrin. I've not had to use it, but it is a good emergency backup in case you get a sinus block on a descent. If you have ever had one, you probably know just how painful it is. I know generally they just didn't give this stuff out to studs, but if you suffer from seasonal allergies, it is probably a good thing to have. The other thing to think about is that once you get in the aircraft, with cockpit environmental controls on, you probably won't notice much pollen. I have yet to have any allergy issues when in an airplane.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
This too. Normally, unless the pollen is real bad, this is all I need to clear up my nose/sinuses and go fly. Speaking of nasal spray, if you have any allergy issues down the road, when you go see the flight doc, see if he will give you a bottle of affrin. I've not had to use it, but it is a good emergency backup in case you get a sinus block on a descent. If you have ever had one, you probably know just how painful it is. I know generally they just didn't give this stuff out to studs, but if you suffer from seasonal allergies, it is probably a good thing to have. The other thing to think about is that once you get in the aircraft, with cockpit environmental controls on, you probably won't notice much pollen. I have yet to have any allergy issues when in an airplane.

Be careful with the Afrin, and realize it's for an emergency only. That stuff is murder on your nose if you over use it. My allergies tend to get worse if they are kicking my ass when I get into the plane, but 30 years of accumulated funk being blown thru the ducts might have something to do with that. My seasonal allergies are way worse down here, and flonase was a godsend once I got over having to shoot medicine up my nose twice a day.