• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Having a baby? Go to class!

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Wife is pregnant and we have gone to several classes lately. How to install a car seat (96% are installed incorrectly), baby CPR classes, how to babyproof your house. If you are preparing to have a child - by all means go to these classes - very informative and extremely important.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Baby proofing is overrated

bet%2Byou%2Bwon't%2Bdo%2Bthat%2Bshit%2Bagain%2Bhuh.jpg

Also, using a toddler's desire to repeatedly climb stairs is an effective way to teach them to count.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wife is pregnant and we have gone to several classes lately. How to install a car seat (96% are installed incorrectly), baby CPR classes, how to babyproof your house. If you are preparing to have a child - by all means go to these classes - very informative and extremely important.

Is this your first? Starting a little late, aren't we?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep - my first. Little late? Guilty as charged. I hear my life is about to change significantly. If you got any gouge to keep me out trouble, I'm all ears.

You haven't gotten enough advice already? I suppose one that has served me well has been when the wife gets snippy/short/pissed/angry and just sit back and let it roll on by, easier to ride it out than fight it out. Act like the FNG to your squadron and take this to heart, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt".

And don't listen to whatever Brett says, he doesn't know or care anything about married life or children...heathen!

ChuckM

pilot
Say goodbye to sleep.

Recently watched an XO have his first and go from bright eyed and bushy tailed to red eyed and hair triggered like the rest of the 30-something JOs with kids.

Glad mine are out of the way and most of my sleepless nights are behind me at 31. But, the unconditional love of your little boy or girl will make all worth while. Congrats!

Insider tip: suck it up and buy a B.O.B stroller wth the car seat adapter. Also, diapers and wipes are cheapest on Amazon (and you can return them if they jump to the next size, so don't be afraid to stockpile)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you got any gouge to keep me out trouble, I'm all ears.
More appicable after the first 3 months, but remember that the kid has his/her bed and you have yours. They don't sleep in your bed, ever. You want to start getting a good night's sleep then around 4-6 months is time to start training him to go to sleep at bed time in HIS crib. Feed if hungry, change if dirty, but otherwise don't be afraid to let him cry out a tantrum at night.

ChuckM

pilot
Baby furnature is plentiful on Craiglist, as are clothes and anything else that gets outgrown. Start shopping early and you can save a ton and get high quality Pottery Barn kids stuff.

On another note, breast pumps are reimbursable under tricare now along with most of the acompanying stuff that normally costs you like $400.

If you guys go formula, you should look at one of these (it's like a kurig for formula): http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Brezza-F...id=1456028126&sr=8-1&keywords=Formula+machine

ChuckM

pilot
Costco is usually cheaper for us.

Good stuff.

I don't think they carry pampers... I remember them having Huggys and costco brand at the store in Jax. Could be wrong, but for whatever reason when we were pricing it out Amazon (with prime) was the best we could find...

We were also in Japan routing everything through the FPO our first time around.

exNavyOffRec

Did someone call my name? :) It's cool you're having a baby and all, but WTF does that have to do with Naval Aviation? :D

There, I got that out of my system.

it's a baby, you put it in a grey outfit, glue some vertical fins to the pants in the calf area, tie the legs together, but keep the arms moveable and viola, you have a baby tomcat. What mother wouldn't be ok with a dad doing that? :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My old man was 47 when I was born……..you aren't that late (at least I assume) :) We just had our first, and I would agree, the classes were a good thing to do. St Mary's put on a good course, and while we were probably the oldest prospective parents there by far at 32/33, it was still useful info. Since then, we have had an (underline) awesome pediatrician, and the wife has gotten pretty heavily involved at this place called the "nurturing nest" in Reno, which caters to expectant and newer moms. Baby yoga, breastfeeding, and various other classes, plus meeting other girls who are in a similar boat. Being gone for work so much of the time, I have been glad that she has a place to go while she has been away from work for the last few months since little man's birth.