• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Grad school in the Navy

lacasera

Currently in a med hold pattern at API
I know that the Navy has the NPS in Monterrey, but how do officers end up going there? Is there an application process? Do you need special permission to go? How does it all work?

Also, is it possible for officers to go to grad school but not at NPS. For example if I could get into a better school than NPS, would the Navy let me go for 2 or 3 years for a Masters or PhD and then come back?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I know there are grad programs available at regular civilian universities that the Navy will pay for, but I'll let someone who has a clue answer with details.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Naval Postgraduate School said:
U.S. Naval Officers
Selection for the Navy fully funded graduate education program is based on outstanding professional performance, promotion potential and a strong academic background. Officers interested in this program should contact their assignment officer to determine professional qualification status; determination of academic qualification (by NAVPGSCOL) is obtained by submitting a request for Academic Profile Code calculation to the NPS Admissions Office. Officers who are professionally qualified, but lack academic qualifications, should contact the Admissions Office for information on ways to improve their academic background

http://www.nps.edu/Admissions/Appprocess/NavalOfficers.html#Naval

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I know that the Navy has the NPS in Monterrey, but how do officers end up going there? Is there an application process? Do you need special permission to go? How does it all work?

Also, is it possible for officers to go to grad school but not at NPS. For example if I could get into a better school than NPS, would the Navy let me go for 2 or 3 years for a Masters or PhD and then come back?

It depends on the community. Most have a few NPS billets that they detail people to. The Graduate Education Voucher program will fund your education in your off duty hours and you'll incur an additional obligation.

As for "getting into a better school than NPS" the Navy doesn't give a shit about that. The Navy is all about cost effectiveness. The only community I know that sends all career minded officers to grad school is the Civil Engineer Corps (CEC). Even then you can only go to public schools (which grant in-state tuition to active duty military) with 2 controlled enrollment spots per year available at Stanford. Also, keep in mind the CEC only gives you 1-year to get your masters because they're paying for your school and you're still on active duty.

Goob83

None
It depends on the community. Most have a few NPS billets that they detail people to. The Graduate Education Voucher program will fund your education in your off duty hours and you'll incur an additional obligation.

As for "getting into a better school than NPS" the Navy doesn't give a shit about that. The Navy is all about cost effectiveness. The only community I know that sends all career minded officers to grad school is the Civil Engineer Corps (CEC). Even then you can only go to public schools (which grant in-state tuition to active duty military) with 2 controlled enrollment spots per year available at Stanford. Also, keep in mind the CEC only gives you 1-year to get your masters because they're paying for your school and you're still on active duty.

Not totally correct CEC has agreements with 26 schools and it is up to two years. we have 3 at Stanford right now and several at Texas UT BERKELEY and many other schools.

Additionally there are several options for MS degrees other than NPS. It is a competitive program and is annouced annually if available. I know folks that have done YALE, Harvard, Georgia TECH, Michigian and many others. They are not CEC. My CO did his masters at YALE for instance My XO DID MIT and OPS on last ship did south alabama so the options are there you just need to watch message traffic word to your detailer and make it thru your first tour.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
I'm 3 days away from finishing up grad school at a civilian institution while active in the Navy. The instruction that describes my program is OPNAVINST 1520.24B. Google it.

The deal w/ that program, aka "Scholarship Program," is that you have to find your own funding for at least 50% but no more than 100% of tuition+fees. If you're doing an engineering or science degree (the former in my case), usually most graduate degrees that require a thesis and research work have full funding. As an added bonus, most fully-funded research positions usually pay a stipend to support the student. Since the Navy's paying you already, you can't accept the stipend. That's actually a very good thing: you can use the fact that you're a "cheaper" student as a bargaining point, and your ENS pay is better than a grad student stipend.

Before submitting the app, I discussed the career implications of participating w/ the aviation advisor at my unit, and was told that I would have to kick butt whether or not I participated, so I went for it.
I commissioned through NROTC, did IFS (back when you could do it outside the Pensacola area), and started grad classes in the fall. Hurricane Ivan's effect on the pipeline in 04-05 also played a role in my decision. As for career implications, I've been commissioned for 27 months, and I haven't started flight school yet. I've been told I'll probably have a very short shore tour if I'm to get closer to my classmates and get back on track. Maybe I'm screwed.

Anyway, if you're considering this, I recommend you try to find a 1-year program. If you really want to fly, you might find yourself going a little crazy towards the end of a 2-year program. PM me w/ any more questions.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Not totally correct CEC has agreements with 26 schools and it is up to two years. we have 3 at Stanford right now and several at Texas UT BERKELEY and many other schools.

Only program I know of that is more than a year is the Ocean Engineering and MBA programs. MBA is limited to 2 a year (though they're experimenting with 3 spots next may in Florida's 1yr program). Both of these are 18 months.

As for agreements with schools, sure the CEC has agreements, but basically, if you can compare the cost of one school to 3 on the list and justify the cost saving (i.e. PCS distance) then it'll get approved.

Only reason I brought the CEC into this is because full-time grad school is a common tour on the career path. It's not on most.

Attachments

• GSHB_04[1].pdf
    135.6 KB · Views: 24

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you finish your fleet tour and get offered Grad School...read the writing on the wall, son.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
There are many ways to achieve this increasingly required milestone. Individual situations, geographic locations, will dictate how you pull it off.
I've been going to Grad school on the side for 4 years to avoid NOB's. The more senior you get, the more NOB's hurt you.
During your first tour, talk to your DH's and see how/what they did. See what other JO's are planning to do, you may not have the same opportunity but you'll get a better sense of timing.
Good Luck.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
For aviators who want to stay competitive, there is NPS EMBA. It is an MBA done over VTC. Google it if you have any questions, but it is one way to break out on a JO shore tour and get your masters. You have to pay for books and owe 3 years (runs concurrent) at the end.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Anyway, if you're considering this, I recommend you try to find a 1-year program. If you really want to fly, you might find yourself going a little crazy towards the end of a 2-year program. PM me w/ any more questions.

How insane is the course load in a 1-year program?

Goob83

None
Only program I know of that is more than a year is the Ocean Engineering and MBA programs. MBA is limited to 2 a year (though they're experimenting with 3 spots next may in Florida's 1yr program). Both of these are 18 months.

As for agreements with schools, sure the CEC has agreements, but basically, if you can compare the cost of one school to 3 on the list and justify the cost saving (i.e. PCS distance) then it'll get approved.

Only reason I brought the CEC into this is because full-time grad school is a common tour on the career path. It's not on most.

And that is why CEC is such a great deal! THe CEC Community really takes care of their own.

Goob83

None
OH YES EDO WITH the MIT thing that has to be sweet too. what is the IP community doing? this just opened up for OCS selection it would be a good selling point I think. Not sure when the first board will be but I have time to inform some folks

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
How insane is the course load in a 1-year program?

I did a one year NPS degree, took an average of 16 credit hours per quarter. That wasn't too bad, but that was an in-house degree, so that would probably suck if I'd done it on the side.