• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GPA questions

gsalg

Sorry if this has been asked before I tried searching and didn't get much because of the common use of the words. Any who I'm taking the ASTB on the 28th, I haven't talked to 2 recruiters that give me the same answer but how is GPA calculated? I know its through a GPA calculation sheet. But for example my school doesn't count retakes in your GPA, they take the new grade instead of the F or D. My transition to college was an eye opener and I am getting good grades now so its gone up. Without counting retakes I have a 3.4, if you do count them I have about a 2.9, obviously a massive difference. I also have classes from an aviation program that don't count towards my actual major, would those be included in my GPA regardless?? Does anyone know exactly how it works? Thanks.

Squirrel Girl

I am also curious about this topic. I have a 2.94 from my college I have my degree from, but about a 3.3 if you count my transfer credits from other institutions. Wondering how this affects things.

exNavyOffRec

Sorry if this has been asked before I tried searching and didn't get much because of the common use of the words. Any who I'm taking the ASTB on the 28th, I haven't talked to 2 recruiters that give me the same answer but how is GPA calculated? I know its through a GPA calculation sheet. But for example my school doesn't count retakes in your GPA, they take the new grade instead of the F or D. My transition to college was an eye opener and I am getting good grades now so its gone up. Without counting retakes I have a 3.4, if you do count them I have about a 2.9, obviously a massive difference. I also have classes from an aviation program that don't count towards my actual major, would those be included in my GPA regardless?? Does anyone know exactly how it works? Thanks.

If you started at college "A" and are still at college "A" then they just take the data from the transcripts and go from there.

If you went to multiple colleges then it becomes more interesting but they still go by what the college does.

gsalg

If you started at college "A" and are still at college "A" then they just take the data from the transcripts and go from there.

If you went to multiple colleges then it becomes more interesting but they still go by what the college does.

Well I went to two schools, the classes I failed are on my transcripts but don't count towards my GPA. I didn't know if the navy would do the same to just not count the F and count the retaken grade in my GPA or what.

exNavyOffRec

If you failed say tree trimming at school "A", then went to school "B" and took tree trimming and rec'd a grade of A the USN would count both, the exception is if the all the classes you took from school "A" were included on the transcript for school "B", and even so this could be a nightmare.

MR

Not true. In my case I had four colleges. If the credits from any of those colleges counted towards my degree they were calculated into the "final" GPA used by the Navy. For Example 27 classes that I took were from the college I graduated from; however, the remaining 13 classes were not. The grades from the 13 classes taken at another institution were calculated into final GPA used in my package. I graduated with a 3.89 from Embry-Riddle, yet the GPA submitted into my package was a 3.56. The B's and C's I got at the previous college, that went towards my degree, were calculated in. Classes that did not count towards the degree did not count. This may be wrong or right, but this is how my recruiter calculated everything.

gsalg

Not true. In my case I had four colleges. If the credits from any of those colleges counted towards my degree they were calculated into the "final" GPA used by the Navy. For Example 27 classes that I took were from the college I graduated from; however, the remaining 13 classes were not. The grades from the 13 classes taken at another institution were calculated into final GPA used in my package. I graduated with a 3.89 from Embry-Riddle, yet the GPA submitted into my package was a 3.56. The B's and C's I got at the previous college, that went towards my degree, were calculated in. Classes that did not count towards the degree did not count. This may be wrong or right, but this is how my recruiter calculated everything.
Ok what about retakes, for example I got an F in one class retook and got an A my college counted the A in my GPA but not my F at all. Would the navy count that? Thats my main question and really the factor in me getting selected or not selected.

exNavyOffRec

your recruiter calculated it wrong, any class taken at any college is to be put on the GPA calc sheet, if you have 120 semester credits all for your degree, then you have another 120 credits that don't go to your degree all must be on that sheet. We had multiple applications sent back when NRC found GPA calculation sheet errors, that is why I ended up reviewing all GPA calculation sheets for the NRD prior to submission, sometimes they were easy, sometimes they would take me an hour because of all the schools a person went to, but they all had to be right.

exNavyOffRec

Ok what about retakes, for example I got an F in one class retook and got an A my college counted the A in my GPA but not my F at all. Would the navy count that? Thats my main question and really the factor in me getting selected or not selected.

I will answer this way, if the F and A were at the same school then it will be straight forward, if not but if the school you graduated from incorporated all the previous classes into it transcripts then should be fine, but if they didn't then that F will probably show up and be used, really a person needs to sit down with the transcripts and figure it out while looking at the manual.

gsalg

Just for future reference it is basically what the school takes. They take the final number of Grade points earned divided by credits for all schools combined.

koliver

So my school allows me to retake a class if I have a C- or lower. It replaces my grade for that class on my transcript, but the first grade shows up with a "0.0 credits earned" next to it. Will the Navy then take that first grade into consideration even if my transcript GPA does not show it?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So my school allows me to retake a class if I have a C- or lower. It replaces my grade for that class on my transcript, but the first grade shows up with a "0.0 credits earned" next to it. Will the Navy then take that first grade into consideration even if my transcript GPA does not show it?

Credits taken/credits earned = GPA

gsalg

From what my recruiter is doing for me only your new grade that your school took would count.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Is the USN looking at anything beyond GPA? I switched from Poli Sci to Mathematics last semester, and it produced the worst grades I've ever gotten. GPA will be up by the time I put my package in to a board though.