• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Getting in to the Academy

Gooch1911

I am currently a freshman in high school and aspiring to go to the Naval Academy and become a pilot. I have a 4.0 with honors/Pre-AP classes, I have high test scores and am taking the SAT again in may. I am in AFJROTC and got the highest job for sophomores next year and am on track to be Group Commander as a senior. Im also on the golf team (not very good though). IN addition to that I have other things like academic athlete of the year, student ambassadors, National Junior Honor Society, and Kitty Hawk Air Society. Would my application look good so far and what are some other things I can do now to make me a better candidate for appointment and further down get a pilot slot?

yossarian

pilot
You seem to be on the right track but I'm not on the admissions board and 5 years out of commissioning.

http://www.usna.edu/Admissions/USNA 2014 Class Portrait.pdf

That's probably the most accurate picture of incoming freshman and what kind of kid they were in high school. That being said, this question has been asked a bunch on this site so search around a bit. My $.02: do a varsity sport, be good in math, and apply for Summer Seminar if you know you want the Academy this early in high school.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Second the plug for Summer Seminar. It'll give you a great idea of what USNA is about, it definitely helped me decide that USNA was right for me. Keep up the good work with the grades. Also, (not saying you are), but there's no need to over-extend yourself when it comes to extra-curricular activities. USNA would rather see you devote time to a couple of activities and achieve leadership positions in them instead of having a ton of activities that you're really not too involved in.

As far as the pilot slot is concerned, don't worry about it right now. There's nothing you can do to set yourself up for that in high school. Focus on getting into USNA first. Once you're there, you can work on getting that pilot slot.

Hope that helps. Search around too!

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Looks like you're doing the right things, make sure to keep it up. They want well rounded candidates who are in physical shape, work in the community or show leadership potential and are solid in academics. Start checking out the website and definitely do Summer Seminar. It's a great program and will definitely help you determine if that's something you want to do. If possible, try visiting the Yard, too. It's a nice area and worth checking out to see what it's like.

As for pilot, don't worry about it. Just do the best you can now and focus on getting into the Academy. Everything else will come together later.

Aquonox

Just rolling along
None
I am a second class at the Academy currently. I also recommend attending Summer Seminar (attend the other service academy seminars if you wish) as it really helped me decide that the Academy was the place for me.

I also recommend purchasing a book called The Naval Academy Candidate Handbook: How to Prepare, How to Get In, How to Survive by William Smallwood. It is a little old, but really helped me understand the type of questions that were going to be asked at the congressional interviews (for your nomination).

Right now I would focus on keeping in shape, getting good grades, keeping up with the extracurricular activities, and trying to show the congressmen that you are interested in leadership (i.e. Golf Team Captain, Group Commander, President/VP National Honor Society, etc).

PM me if you have any other questions or want to know what it is like here.

Gooch1911

Ok thanks for the info guys, I read about the Summer seminar on the USNA website and seemed really cool but cant apply till im a junior.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Gooch1911, PM. My wife is a Blue and Gold Officer. She can help you with just about whatever questions you've got.

The father of one of my very good friends is also a Blue and Gold Officer and would undoubtedly answer questions you have. These folks are a great resource for people considering USNA, and they volunteer their time to aid in the recruitment process. They don't get paid to do it. I highly recommend that you speak to your local B&GO, as they will have not only general, up to date admissions statistics to help steer you in the right direction, but also details on your specific geographical location. This could come into play later during the admissions process, as some areas are much, much more competitive than others when it comes to nominations.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only thing I can add to the very good advice you have gotten so far is, talk the family into a vacation to the DC area to do the patriotic/civics/battlefield thing, and pop into USNA. Admissions will give you a brief and if your timing is right, a private tour around The Yard. That should hold you over until you can come out for Summer Seminar. Varsity sports are important. Also, Honor JROTC units can nominate cadets to the service academies. Keep that in mind. Ask your Military Science Instructor if you guys are an Honor Unit. If not, help him work toward that. Not only might it help you get a nomination from your unit, but that sort of activity and leadership will help you get a nomination from any source and the admissions board will take notice as well.

pharaelga

Constantly lost in the sauce....
As far as getting navy pilot goes, I noticed my friends who had a PPL and decent grades while at USNA got it easily. But is by no means a requirement. (I got selected for Marine pilot with absolutely zero experience.) However, I really wish I could have gotten into a cockpit just for the simple fact that its something I've been passionate about since I was like 5.... never had the money. If you do have the time and very "supportive" parents ask them if you could get a lesson or two at your local airport. If its something you love doing and want to make it a career its never too early to start learning about it....

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Do I need to get/would it help to have a PPL?" is asked so often around here, I think it's a prime candidate for the Banned Questions List. (Answer, BTW, is no, though a few fam rides/lessons aren't a bad idea if you have the time and money)

You're not going to the Academy to be a pilot. You're going to be a Navy or Marine officer. There's a lot can happen between I-Day and graduation. Even if you're totally PQ'ed for pilot, it may not happen. There were about half as many Navy Air billets for the firsties my plebe year as there were by the time I graduated; it was Clinton-era DoD budgets, and if you read the papers, the Government isn't exactly flush with cash nowadays, either. If you're okay with the idea of working your ass off for four years and then winding up going SWO or whatever because other options are closed to you, then go for it.

Here's the thing, though: it really is worth it, even if you destroy your knees playing fieldball firstie year and don't get commissioned at all. It's a good education, free, and looks great on a resume. Not many schools can say that.

Anyway, you're still a freshman, so for the time being concentrate on not farking up too much. About the middle of your junior year is when you need to start the machinery for admissions. In the meantime, take advanced classes and do well in them - they'd rather see a B student in AP/Honors than a A+ student in basketweaving. Play a sport and stick with it - they want to see a candidate with some physical ability, rather than a total bookworm/schlub. Do something that demonstrates organization and leadership ability. Admissions knows what a 'joiner' looks like, and belonging to 30 different clubs and not doing anything particularly much with them doesn't impress anybody; much better to do a couple of things, stick with them and grow into a leadership role. Summer Seminar has been mentioned, and it's a good idea. Lets you see the school, and lets the school see you. If they're still doing the 'spend the night with the Brigade' deal, do that too. The Yard looks a lot different in the middle of February. Keep in shape. Don't get in any big legal trouble, avoid experimentation with anything illegal, and don't get some girl knocked up.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Regarding the PPL thing - of the 2 guys in my company who have one, one got sub drafted and the other is a Marine SNFO now because his eyes went bad. It can't hurt, but as others have said, by no means does it seem to significantly help you either. I would have loved to earn one, but back in high school I didn't have the money for one.

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
Don't forget about the Coast Guard Academy. It's smaller and more selective; but you do not need a Congressional appointment. I graduated CGA in '08 and am in flight school now. I was amazed at how many of the Navy/Marine guys had never heard of the Coast Guard Academy. We send a few people direct from the Academy to flight school. I spent two years on a cutter and was picked up for flight school following that tour. Many people follow that route. Just a thought.

parrothead08

KCCO
pilot
Also, our Summer Seminar is called AIM (Academy Introduction Mission). You can find a lot of information on the CGA website. Take care.

Gooch1911

Thanks everyone. Getting a PPL is something i'd like but don't have the money for, but found out i'm on the list for the next available CAP flights in my AFJROTC unit.