• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

gear

PhrogTrip01

Random bit of advice for guys and gals going through flight school right now. Hold on to your blue brains. Buy extra sheets before you leave Pensacola. It is tremendously helpful thing to be able to put together your own little tools for success. Hold on to your wizz wheel and your IFR pubs that break a flight plan down barney style. You don't think so now but by the time you hit the fleet a lot of that stuff will have gone right out the window. Finally, if you're going to buy a seat pad, buy a good one. I don't leave home without one and wish it was thicker.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
where is a good place to get said seat pad?
(for my bony aching ass!)

I resisted the cushion all the way through basic forms. Broke down and bought one during cruise forms. Heavenly!

If you have the $$$, the Oregon Aero ones are top notch. They hold their resale value, too, if you want to sell after primary.

For $30 (ish) Wings has the OD green ones, which are definitely an improvement, but failed for me during that third leg of my XC.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Random bit of advice for guys and gals going through flight school right now. Hold on to your blue brains. Buy extra sheets before you leave Pensacola. It is tremendously helpful thing to be able to put together your own little tools for success. Hold on to your wizz wheel and your IFR pubs that break a flight plan down barney style. You don't think so now but by the time you hit the fleet a lot of that stuff will have gone right out the window. Finally, if you're going to buy a seat pad, buy a good one. I don't leave home without one and wish it was thicker.

Eh?

Any gun squadron worth a shit will, and I believe are required to, have all the flight planning pubs you need (that "break down a flight plan barney style"... aka GP, AP1A/B, etc...), and should have a stock of clear sleeves for kneeboards. And I don't know a soul who has used a whiz wheel since the API nav class. Can't speak for the seat pad, but a lot of the chopper dudes on the boat had them.

Pags

N/A
pilot
You don't think so now but by the time you hit the fleet a lot of that stuff will have gone right out the window. Finally, if you're going to buy a seat pad, buy a good one. I don't leave home without one and wish it was thicker.

Better yet, don't pump and dump that flight school stuff. Not only is it the foundation for pretty much everything else later on, it's also generally assumed that as a winged aviator you can do all that crap.

phrogpilot73

Any gun squadron worth a shit will, and I believe are required to, have all the flight planning pubs you need (that "break down a flight plan barney style"... aka GP, AP1A/B, etc...), and should have a stock of clear sleeves for kneeboards. And I don't know a soul who has used a whiz wheel since the API nav class. Can't speak for the seat pad, but a lot of the chopper dudes on the boat had them.
That's not exclusive to gun squadrons. In the fleet, the S-4 will get the clear sleeves from SERVMART. If they don't, just ask them. Also, I never bought a seat cushion. Our flight E had a crap ton - and we'd check one out before the flight.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
For seat cushions, I definitely recommend Oregon Aero. Our Squadron bought a bunch with GWOT funds for our deployment, and its the only way our rear ends survived 6 hours a day for 6 days a week for 15 months. They are like the memory foam for beds. Pricy though, so you may want to convince your unit to get them -

http://www.oregonaero.com/Products.htm

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
For seat cushions, I definitely recommend Oregon Aero. Our Squadron bought a bunch with GWOT funds for our deployment, and its the only way our rear ends survived 6 hours a day for 6 days a week for 15 months. They are like the memory foam for beds. Pricy though, so you may want to convince your unit to get them -

http://www.oregonaero.com/Products.htm
Do those help with lower back pain?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Do those help with lower back pain?

DITTO. On flights over 2 in the turboweenie, my rump was hurting, but mostly my lower back that was DYING. Probably mostly a postural thing in the weenie, but maybe the pad helps?

BTW, How's the -57 and -60? Death-to-back and endless hemorrhoids??

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
DITTO. On flights over 2 in the turboweenie, my rump was hurting, but mostly my lower back that was DYING. Probably mostly a postural thing in the weenie, but maybe the pad helps?

BTW, How's the -57 and -60? Death-to-back and endless hemorrhoids??
I had major lower back pain throughout all of HT's. I got a back pad, which helped but didn't completely solve the problem. I think it was a combination of the crappy seat and the extra muscle tension/stress while learning how to hover, fly, etc.

Once I got to the 60 the problem went away.

MasterBates

OTOH, I never had problems flying the 206 or 57, but the 60 made my back hurt after about 3 or so hours. Last half of a double bag was always painful, even if I got out and stretched while we were getting gas.

I had Oregon Aero pads, but then my command banninated them as they did not have a flight clearance and some genius decided we would get "seat slap" on a hard landing. (I wish I was kidding).

If your command allows the OA pads, get them. They don't make it into a la-z-boy, but they do help.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
I dont think they help with the back pain at all, though the ones for the 58D do have a little cushion that helps with lumbar support. We have a guy in our unit whose wife is a chiropracter and she has been plenty busy since we got back (shameless plug: http://www.kitv.com/asseenon/16554579/detail.html). I think the back pain is more of a function of wearing body armor/ammo/9MM/gear that hangs off your shoulders for the flight. Beyond that, I think its the size you are vs the size of the seat/location of controls - everyone's body seemed to react differently. I know two pilots who had their back fused just before retiring after flying for 10-15 years. Others have no issue.

The seat just helps with the ass pain where it feels like your bones are about to poke out through your cheeks.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
This is what I use. I tried to get the flight surgeon to write me a prescription so I could tax deduct it, no joy. Good thing I had a shitload of cash post-Iraq deployment!
That will be a chore getting that into the 34's cockpit but after another two plus hour flight I might think about it. Thanks anyway. ;)

jazzdude

Anyone here flying with the oregon aero seat now in the T-34? I'm looking to get one, but am unsure about which one to order- 1" or 2" inch cushion. Opinions/advice?