• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 17 IDC DCO BOARD

Magnum6

I'm in. First time through. Been lurking here a couple of years. Decided to pull the trigger this time around. Applying for intel.

patriot050

I was considering going through the steps for DCO IP for FY17, is this the appropriate thread to ask if my credentials are competitive enough?

Last edited:

patriot050

Excellent, I'm 27 right now, i have bachelors in CIS (3.49 GPA), with a masters in MIS on the way (GPA should be 3.8...finish in july), I have worked in IT for 8 almost 9 years as a Systems Administrator. I the following certifications.. Network+, Security+ (grandfathered, 2008), CEH, VCP3,VCP5 and MCSA. I also have a clearance, but it's inactive as i'm not a contractor anymore.

Based off of that small snippet, would i have a shot? i understand the process is long and quite involved, i would hate to waste anyone's time if i didnt.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Excellent, I'm 27 right now, i have bachelors in CIS (3.49 GPA), with a masters in MIS on the way (GPA should be 3.8...finish in july), I have worked in IT for 8 almost 9 years as a Systems Administrator. I the following certifications.. Network+, Security+ (grandfathered, 2008), CEH, VCP3,VCP5 and MCSA. I also have a clearance, but it's inactive as i'm not a contractor anymore.

Based off of that small snippet, would i have a shot? i understand the process is long and quite involved, i would hate to waste anyone's time if i didnt.

Do you have your CIISP (sp)? That seems to be the big money maker for IP.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
No i don't have a CISSP...Is that a big deal breaker?
I got selected in the FY16 board. My Security+ was two years expired and I had a education related cert from CNSS.gov (NSTISSI 4011). Your additional certs can only help, but I think the 'full-person' concept is in full effect.

If your academics are sorted, I would suggest finding opportunities to gain/highlight quantifiable leadership and mentoring experience.

Able

Alright Hair Warrior, if you're in, I'm in. We're gonna make it this time `round. It's time to start bugging our ORs for interviews, getting our certs up-to-date, sending transcripts and making plans to put together the best package we can in the Fall. Best of luck to all.

Also, did you hear that the Navy is talking about bringing in Cyber folks at the E-7 and O-6 levels (active duty only)... I think this bodes well for us as it indicates that the Navy is trying to staff up on these billets.

Crippy011

You live by the gouge, you die by the gouge
understood, thanks fieldrat!

if you guys have any additional insight...i'm all ears.
Building off what @fieldrat said, any volunteering or helping a group or organization outside your daily job duties looks extremely great on your profile as well.

Additionally, very few individuals have been selected their first time. While this isn't meant to be discouraging, it gives you a view of how competitive selection is. I applied 3 times before I was selected. Not being selected my first and second time was an extremely humbling experience. If you're not selected the first time, definitely put in a second and or a third application. The Navy loves persistence and use the time between applications to further enhance your skillset and learning.

One final thing, what NRD are you going through?

@fieldrat, anything else to add?

No i don't have a CISSP, i do plan on finishing out my MCSE (for what it's worth..).

Is that a big deal breaker?
The CISSP isn't a deal breaker but it is highly recommended. I currently have my CompTIA Sec+ and ISO 27001 Lead Auditor Certs, just to show you that it isn't 'really' required.