• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fred Cabanas killed in crash

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I haven't seen this anywhere else on the site, so if it's a dupe, I'll merge it...

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/fred_cabanas_experience_pilot_crash_cozumel_208033-1.html

I went to school with his daughter (and I'm pretty sure RLSO was going through flight school with her at the same time). Mr. Cabanas took time out of his day at an airshow at Ocala back in '99 to give me a ride in his Pitts when he could have been earning more money giving other people rides. Despite having to be folded in half to get in the Pitts, it was an enjoyable flight which was rarely straight and level.

He was a friendly guy and a great friend to aviation. Condolences to his family and Kelly.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I haven't seen this anywhere else on the site, so if it's a dupe, I'll merge it...

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/fred_cabanas_experience_pilot_crash_cozumel_208033-1.html

I went to school with his daughter (and I'm pretty sure RLSO was going through flight school with her at the same time). Mr. Cabanas took time out of his day at an airshow at Ocala back in '99 to give me a ride in his Pitts when he could have been earning more money giving other people rides. Despite having to be folded in half to get in the Pitts, it was an enjoyable flight which was rarely straight and level.

He was a friendly guy and a great friend to aviation. Condolences to his family and Kelly.

He was an incredibly generous and professional man. Went college with his daughter and son-in-law. They both flew S-3s for a a while, she is now out and he flies P-3s.

A great asset to GA and the entire Key West community.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Unfortunately never had the opportunity to meet him but many of my air show friends speak very highly of him - Godspeed Sir...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
He was an incredibly generous and professional man. Went college with his daughter and son-in-law. They both flew S-3s for a a while, she is now out and he flies P-3s.

I forgot she transitioned over to the Blue side.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Sad times for the General's family. I used to hear stories about Fred all the time from his daughter, but I never really had an appreciation of how big of a profile he had in general aviation until i started doing the Google searches for his name after i heard about his passing. I've had the privilege of serving with both his daughter and son-in law. They're generally great people.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Sad news indeed. I met Fred in 1989 when I was stationed in Key West and met his daughter when she was just a baby. Fred had a Yamaha V-Max that he would drag race with us on an uninhabited key just North of Key West. He was always smiling and seemed larger than life. Every time I'd det down to KW, I would stop in and see him. He was a great guy and will be missed.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Went through -30 with his daughter and son-in-law...great people. I had the pleasure of roasting a pig and hoisting many a drink with the man and his great family. They were an absolute blast. My heart goes out to them...

For those who didn't have the pleasure of getting to know them, this is part of a public announcement of the memorial service and pretty much sums it up...

"The celebration of Daddy's life will be at the Conch Republic Air Force hangar starting at 1700. Of course, pig roast to follow. In lieu of flowers, please send booze. Daddy wasn't too fond of flowers."

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot

sad stuff.......
my daddys quote: there are old ones and bold ones..there are no old/bold ones........sorry.....but a man has to know his limitations....the older you get.....the slower you actually get...while thinking you are getting better and faster......its an age disease.......aviation is basically dangerous......as a helo pilot who has survived 2 crashes......you learn that something is always trying to kill you.......

have a nice day.....I like to hang out at NAS Keywest too, very fun place....ENJOY!!......

Mandingus

pilot
New to AW and 4 years late on this thread but met Fred around 97-98. Flew down to Key West with some IP buddies. Gave us his truck to go grab chow while one of our ilk went flying with him in his Pitts. Great dude.