• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Foreign Language Knowledge & Revelevance to an SNA Applicant

not_the_lasagna

pilot
So, I'm shooting to apply for SNA/NFO, and I have varying mastery of English, German, Russian, and Arabic. I have an opportunity to study abroad in Morocco coming up this summer to further my language skills, BUT I could also just take more classes and graduate a little sooner.

Does the Navy care at all about language proficiency or is my time better spent finishing up my degree? Given that I'm applying for SNA/NFO, I don't think my language abilities are relevant, but it might be worthwhile to have this out of country experience.
Opinions?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not relevant at all for aviation, though it may open some doors for you at the post DH level. On a personal level, all else being equal, I would study abroad just to get the life experience. The Navy does pay people who have proficiency in certain languages. Ask about Defense Language Proficiency Testing (DLPT) after you're commissioned. I'm not up to speed on what languages are earning money these days, but a squadronmate of mine got paid an extra $700 each month because he speaks Norwegian. He had to do a test every couple years to demonstrate written and conversational proficiency. I lived in France when I was young, but French gets you jack squat. ;)

Peruse this site for more info.

not_the_lasagna

pilot
Not relevant at all for aviation, though it may open some doors for you at the post DH level. On a personal level, all else being equal, I would study abroad just to get the life experience. The Navy does pay people who have proficiency in certain languages. Ask about Defense Language Proficiency Testing (DLPT) after you're commissioned. I'm not up to speed on what languages are earning money these days, but a squadronmate of mine got paid an extra $700 each month because he speaks Norwegian. He had to do a test every couple years to demonstrate written and conversational proficiency. I lived in France when I was young, but French gets you jack squat. ;)

You make a good point. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would probably look back on it a lot more fondly than taking a summer accounting class. And the potential extra pay doesn't sound bad :D

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Keep a VERY detailed list of the countries you visit, and the dates you were there. It will make completing your security clearance paperwork much easier. Also, you mentioned (maybe a typo) a "varying mastery of English....." How "varying" is your mastery of English?

Last edited:

not_the_lasagna

pilot
Keep a VERY detailed list of the countries you visit, and the dates you were there. It will make completing your security clearance paperwork much easier. Also, you mentioned (maybe a typo) a "varying mastery of English....." How "varying" is your mastery of English?

I am fluent. I was trying to say that I had varying comprehension of all 4 languages, English and German being my strongest, with Russian and Arabic being my weakest. Not the best diction on my part.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot

You can actually take the DLPT w/in a few months of being commissioned, and the bonus pays, if applicable, will show up in your first paycheck.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I've read, members can receive pay for multiple languages as long as the total pay does not exceed $1000/mo. That said, German and Russian aren't languages that are currently in high demand. Arabic is another story. Do a Googgle search for the Navy's "Strategic Languages List" for more info.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...That said, German and Russian aren't languages that are currently in high demand...

Give it time. After this election, all the banking will be done in German, and as for Russian, well...

(I keed, I keed...)

6a00d8341c630a53ef015391e27740970b-640wi

IRfly

None
For the love of god and language, can we at least get English right and correctly spell the word "relevance" in the thread title?

For the OP, I don't believe that knowing (or in your case, simply having studied) languages is at all relevant to your SNA/SNFO application except for showing yourself to be a "complete person." You MIGHT be able to get some extra pay out of it (depends on the language, the score, and which instruction you fall under). Some years I got extra pay as a 1320. Some I did not. The tests in Russian, German, and Arabic are very challenging--don't expect that a couple of years of college classes (even including study abroad) will prepare you to get the scores you need for bonus pay (2/2 for most languages).

Down the line, language proficiency might open some other doors for you.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
(I keed, I keed...)

Well, nice picture. By the way, this ugly APC, the first air droppable thing ever, is not compatible with long AK-47s - the crews were armed with short AKSs. Generally, to lug the original 47 is akin to play Gibson Les Paul guitar onstage - both are surprisingly heavy:)