• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Suits and NWUs?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
So with the incoming removal of the NWU Type 1s, does anybody know what will happen with the regs as far as flight suit undershirts? From what I've read, regs currently allow for NWU blue, black, and then some leeway for community-specific shirts. I can only assume when they get rid of the Blueberries, they'll also can the blue undershirt? If so, will they just tell us to wear black from now on? Or will we transition to the Type 3 undershirt?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
No clue. Until a policy is changed (and the t-shirt thing has changed a bunch over the years), just keep wearing blue, black, tan or squadron colored shirts. Nothing to get worked up about.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
Along the same lines I asked if I could trade my tan flight suit for green (Marine Corps here) since tan/desert are no longer authorized. I was told "uhh, no one has asked that yet, so no".

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Along the same lines I asked if I could trade my tan flight suit for green (Marine Corps here) since tan/desert are no longer authorized. I was told "uhh, no one has asked that yet, so no".

So they did the same thing with the flight suits that they did with your cammies?

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
The color of our flight suit mirrors our cammies. So we wore tans in the summer and greens in the winter. But now we'll wear greens all year round, just rolling sleeves on green cammies in the summer.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Interesting. I guess that's why I don't see any of you guys in your desert suits anymore during API. Can you still wear desert flight suits on deployments?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Any of the Navy IPs know what the policy will be for Navy guys now in Pensacola? There's a push to have TYCOM authorize tan flight suits in certain fleet CONUS AORs and part of the logic is because of what the studs are issued and the general hotness of the I-10 corridor.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Think about what would make the most sense. And then standby for the USN to do the opposite of that.
If the track record of the self-named "NUB" is any indication, they'll randomly pick a brand new, yet unused color and decree that to be the flight suit uniform T shirt color. And the NEX will begin stocking it in useful quantities a few months later.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Any of the Navy IPs know what the policy will be for Navy guys now in Pensacola? There's a push to have TYCOM authorize tan flight suits in certain fleet CONUS AORs and part of the logic is because of what the studs are issued and the general hotness of the I-10 corridor.

TW-5 at least, no one cares what you wear in the summer, SNAs and IPs. I usually alternated between a tan and green one throughout the week. Winter everyone pretty much wears green all week. Shit hots(fleet and CNATRA)/fleet patches are kosher for Fridays. I've seen HT guys wear two piece ones if they have them.

With Marines not wearing tan this summer, might slow some Navy folks down. Me personally, it's hot as balls May-Sept and the tan feels cooler with a Drifire T. Problem solved.

Spartan43

STEEEEEEEEEVE
None
TW-5 at least, no one cares what you wear in the summer, SNAs and IPs. I usually alternated between a tan and green one throughout the week. Winter everyone pretty much wears green all week. Shit hots(fleet and CNATRA)/fleet patches are kosher for Fridays. I've seen HT guys wear two piece ones if they have them.

With Marines not wearing tan this summer, might slow some Navy folks down. Me personally, it's hot as balls May-Sept and the tan feels cooler with a Drifire T. Problem solved.
TW-6 (at least VT-10) was fine with us wearing tan during the summer while I was there. Don't know if it changed.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
TW-6 (at least VT-10) was fine with us wearing tan during the summer while I was there. Don't know if it changed.

Same while I was at TW-5, but with the change in Marine policy, I'm wondering if the Navy will change.

But there has to be a policy somewhere. In order for a fleet CDRE to go to the TYCOM and ask for leniency, he has to be able to point to a policy if part of the argument is "well, the other guys are doing it." That's why I'm asking, given the new Marine policy.

Pags

N/A
pilot
If the track record of the self-named "NUB" is any indication, they'll randomly pick a brand new, yet unused color and decree that to be the flight suit uniform T shirt color. And the NEX will begin stocking it in useful quantities a few months later.
In an effort to reduce the size of the sea bag the NUB will increase the size of the sea bag.

NUB has to be one of the biggest flops of a Navy program ever. They've managed to spend grunches of money on a problem that didn't need fixing and managed to fuck it away completely. You want to talk acquisition failure? Look no further than the NWU.

Rugby_Guy

Livin on a Prayer
pilot
You guys should have followed the Marine model on uniforms. We don't add new pieces very often (I think we are still in the 1955 style PT uniform), we just change when and how they'll be worn. We get all the angst and loss of morale a real sea bag change would cause without spending a dime.