• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FAC qual for Navy NAs/NFOs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Hey all,

Just curious to see if there are billets/opportunities to pick up a FAC qual during your sea/shore tour. I've read a little bit about a few opportunities over with SPECWAR, but nothing about supporting another branch. I know it is common in the Marines to do a FAC tour. Do some pilots/NFOs hop over to the green side to to get a qual? Is FAC/JTAC a desirable/useful qual to have or is it considered stray away the traditional path? I was on a MIDN cruise with an ANGLICO this summer and there was a -60 pilot there, but I didn't know if that was a common billet. Thanks!

sickboy

pilot
You can list ANGLICO and NSW LNO on your detailing sheet going into your disassociated. I only know two guys who have gone that route: one is a NSW LNO currently who has already dropped his papers to get out, and the other is currently an FTS O-4 who did an ANGLICO tour. Everything I've heard about it is that it's "not career enhancing" if you care about that sort of thing.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I know a few dudes that have done it so it’s possible but a FAC/JTAC for Navy guys isn’t very common. Like most everything in the Navy, depends a lot on timing. Plus, the further you get from the beaten path the less favorable it looks on boards, etc.

That said, I did the JTAC thing and it’s a helluva lot of fun.

RotorBoy83

Dictating how it is.
Hey all,

Just curious to see if there are billets/opportunities to pick up a FAC qual during your sea/shore tour. I've read a little bit about a few opportunities over with SPECWAR, but nothing about supporting another branch. I know it is common in the Marines to do a FAC tour. Do some pilots/NFOs hop over to the green side to to get a qual? Is FAC/JTAC a desirable/useful qual to have or is it considered stray away the traditional path? I was on a MIDN cruise with an ANGLICO this summer and there was a -60 pilot there, but I didn't know if that was a common billet. Thanks!
Yes, it’s possible to be sent to a TACP school in the navy. Essentially limited to VFA F squadron pilots and WSOs who are identified for the FAC(A) program, last time I checked.

I know they sent a few HSC-84/85 guys through back in the day, but I imagine that opportunity has dried up.

Neither opportunity involved a tour as a FAC. Closest you can get to that is a Fires O job at one of the teams, but it’s not exactly a FAC tour like you’re thinking. There’s other opportunities out there but they’re so rare and outside the “norm” they’re not really worth mentioning. Most involve SOCOM.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Yes, it’s possible to be sent to a TACP school in the navy. Essentially limited to VFA F squadron pilots and WSOs who are identified for the FAC(A) program, last time I checked.

I know they sent a few HSC-84/85 guys through back in the day, but I imagine that opportunity has dried up.

Neither opportunity involved a tour as a FAC. Closest you can get to that is a Fires O job at one of the teams, but it’s not exactly a FAC tour like you’re thinking. There’s other opportunities out there but they’re so rare and outside the “norm” they’re not really worth mentioning. Most involve SOCOM.
Did you bother reading the three other replies before you posted that?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Did he say something that was wrong?

I thought he added to and clarified the previous posts.
Yes. There is a path for navy guys to be JTACs outside of the teams and it’s ANGLICO.

Some -18F people do go to TACP school as mentioned above as part of their FAC(A) syllabus, not to be FACS/JTACs. Plus that’s a pretty worthless program the way the Navy does it. It does obligate the Navy to fill a ton of EWTGPAC/LANT frags, so at least there’s that.

RotorBoy83

Dictating how it is.
Yes. There is a path for navy guys to be JTACs outside of the teams and it’s ANGLICO.

Some -18F people do go to TACP school as mentioned above as part of their FAC(A) syllabus, not to be FACS/JTACs. Plus that’s a pretty worthless program the way the Navy does it. It does obligate the Navy to fill a ton of EWTGPAC/LANT frags, so at least there’s that.
Did you bother reading the other replies before you posted this?

Status
Not open for further replies.