• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-8 in the rocks...Anyone have any background on this?

Citation3

Just curious if anyone can give me a little backdround on this F-8 on the rocks.

f-8.jpg

das

Contributor
According to Crusader Mishaps:

F8U-2 BuNo 148709 VF-132 Pilot Lt R. Loomis. Leeward Point Field Guantanamo Bay Cuba "In the Rocks" US Navy Photo courtesy Bruce Nason

According to F-8 Crusader 1956-1964:

Date: 25th April 1962
Aircraft: Vought F8U-2 Crusader
Unit: VF-132
Serial: 148709/201
Based: Leeward Point Field Guantanamo Bay Cuba
Pilot: Lt R. Loomis

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Dad told me a story about a Crusader squadron standing alert duty in the 1976-77 timeframe at NAS Boca Chica...... These guys (x 2 Crusaders, mind you) were so gung ho and wanted to show up the Tomcat guys that they forgot to raise the variable incidence wing, and hence, wound up on the coral reef at the end of the runway. Both pilots punched out and were ok. The jets...not so much.

Lawman

None
My Personal Favorite... I cant imagine the "WTF am I looking at" moment the brain of passers by was going through.

Attachments

• wings folded.jpg
    wings folded.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 200

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here's a story circa 1968 about a young LTJG taking off in his F-8 from Miramar with the wings folded.

-ea6bflyr ;)
I don't believe he was the only one, and some with less fortunate results. I think I remember an F-4 doing the same wing-folded TO, hurrying to get into a night bounce pattern. (no, not me)

NAS Miramar in about 1971 suddenly initiated "final checkers" stationed at the hold short line. Sure they were looking for open panels, leaks, pins, etc. But their real mission was to overcome and prevent all the earlier, pilot stupidity.... like trying to take off with wings folded! :eek:

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My Personal Favorite... I cant imagine the "WTF am I looking at" moment the brain of passers by was going through.

Didn't someone in Lemoore do this several years back. I remember it being a topic of discussion while I was on middie cruise there....

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I seem to remember an Approach article about a Hornet almost doing it at Al-Asad.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
About 1983, the only F-8s left in inventory were photo birds in a NAVAIRRES squadron at Andrews. A LT on a XC was making a fuel stop at NAS Dallas & apparently decided to show the locals what a Sierra Hotel VFR break looks like: after pulling hard on the stick at about 400kts, the a/c went into a high-speed stall & ended up (very fortunately) in an unused wing of the BOQ. I think he got out OK, but that stuff really screws up an otherwise great weekend.

Note: Thanks to A4s below for correcting my hearsay story. I thought it occurred after my SRU days - actually it occurred before. Apologies for bad gouge.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
About 1983, the only F-8s left in inventory were photo birds in a NAVAIRRES squadron at Andrews. A LT on a XC was making a fuel stop at NAS Dallas & apparently decided to show the locals what a Sierra Hotel VFR break looks like: after pulling hard on the stick at about 400kts, the a/c went into a high-speed stall & ended up (very fortunately) in an unused wing of the BOQ. I think he got out OK, but that stuff really screws up an otherwise great weekend.
ACTUALLY ... it was late '77/ 1st of '78 ... and I was there -- going through AA's F/E school across town and staying in the NAS DALLAS 'Q' ... I had to stay in the annex across the street from the main building as a result of the crash and subsequent loss of rooms ... :(

The 'story' goes: one of the Weekend Warriors was flip-floppin' down the hall w/ a towel around his waist either going to/coming from the communal head when the 'Sader came crunching through the overhead & the hallway -- basically right in front of him -- the crash was in the last 'Q' wing nearest the entrance to the bar
(that's how I know :D) and mess ... rumor has it that the 'Weekend guy' went running down the hallway after the crash SANS GO-AHEADS (flip flops) AND TOWEL ... :eek::eek: There was no crash & burn - think there was a fuel problem and he ran out on the downwind leg -- not certain @ that, but that was the explanation for no burn given at the time -- and that's fortunate as the entire splinterville-era BOQ would have gone up) ... :D

It left a rather small hole in the ground and cut the wing of the 'Q' like it had been made of butter. They closed the rest of the wing off 'cause it was too freakin' cold at that time of winter and ... where WERE you gonna' go wee-wee, anyway.

However, we did find an 'alternative' access to the BOQ bar ...
:D

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I seem to remember an Approach article about a Hornet almost doing it at Al-Asad.

Except the pilot realized that his wings were folded prior to VR and executed a High Speed abort causing LOTS of damage to the A/C.

IIRC, the plane flew to the boat stiff leg after multiple repairs and then was craned off at the end of cruise.

-ea6bflyr ;)