• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-4 Phantom news

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Good article on the venerable F-4 and how a modernized version of this Gen III fighter with mods is still being used today. Interesting that the Turkish F-4 "2020" was rewired to get rid of 20 kilometers of wire reducing weight by 1,600 pounds. Curious to know what our resident pointy nose types think of our NATO allies still using it (disclaimer - I am not suggesting we go back to the F-4...)

https://warisboring.com/the-f-4-is-a-great-fighter-with-a-bad-record-f4757f5e91e2#.xra6s2ash

Last edited:

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I am neither an aviator nor a pointy-nose, but the way the USAF leadership talks about the F-35 and A-10 debate makes me think rewiring F-4s is kind of a Sisyphean battle, given a future contested airspace operating environment.

But hey, the F-4 is fast, carries a big external payload, and at least it has 2 engines. Maybe we could rewire it Turkish-style, then also remove all the manned systems to save even more weight, and make it into a QF-4 unmanned strike fighter for operational use as a "wingman"/decoy beside stealthier, manned F-22/35s. Kinda like the CSAF's flying coke machine idea... except this one can be launched from a Navy carrier. Like a cheaper, supersonic, non-stealthy X-47B.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I am neither an aviator nor a pointy-nose, but the way the USAF leadership talks about the F-35 and A-10 debate makes me think rewiring F-4s is kind of a Sisyphean battle, given a future contested airspace operating environment.

But hey, the F-4 is fast, carries a big external payload, and at least it has 2 engines. Maybe we could rewire it Turkish-style, then also remove all the manned systems to save even more weight, and make it into a QF-4 unmanned strike fighter for operational use as a "wingman"/decoy beside stealthier, manned F-22/35s. Kinda like the CSAF's flying coke machine idea... except this one can be launched from a Navy carrier. Like a cheaper, supersonic, non-stealthy X-47B.
That would be like getting your iPhone to talk to your toaster so you could throw a butter knife across your kitchen.

magnetfreezer

We already did this... then we shot them all down:http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2015/05/30/qf4-targeting-drone-last-flight/28015077/ in air-to-air missile tests. Now we're doing the same with old F-16s.

Malo83

Keep the Faith
The mighty Phantom, the end of an era :cool:
http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58168
US%20Navy%20VF-154%20McDonnell%20F-4J%20Phantom%20158373%20NE-100%201975_zpsnxuept5t.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Good article on the venerable F-4 and how a modernized version of this Gen III fighter with mods is still being used today. Interesting that the Turkish F-4 "2020" was rewired to get rid of 20 kilometers of wire reducing weight by 1,600 pounds. Curious to know what our resident pointy nose types think of our NATO allies still using it (disclaimer - I am not suggesting we go back to the F-4...)

https://warisboring.com/the-f-4-is-a-great-fighter-with-a-bad-record-f4757f5e91e2#.xra6s2ash

Awesome cartridge start!!!

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Know what the F-4 didn't have? A gun. So they built the F-4E later, which had a gun.

Guess we learned our lesson with that one, didn't we? Oh wait...:rolleyes: